PDA

View Full Version : Complacency & common-sense: Oh snap, the sequel

Apache
08-20-2010, 04:49 PM
They say that kids and animals are the hardest things to work with. animals, by far are the hardest...

8:00 yesterday morning I was loading our elk up for a showing, well the puppies just had to get a closer look. Needless to say they startled her. I was holding her lead-rope, before I could react, she had bolted. I ended up smashing into the side of a vending machine, moving the unit 3 inches...:eek:

Injuries include; rope burns on my left hand, a broken big toe and all but two ribs on my right side being broken, cracked or bruised.

Ow, doesn't even cover it. I was prescribed Motrin 800 and Lortab 5, which are enough to take the edge off the pain but that's it.

How many of you guys have said, " I got this.", only to have it bite you in the butt?

Articulate_Ape
08-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Oh man, rib injuries hurt like a bastard and seem to take forever to heal. Do you have a rib belt?

asdf2231
08-20-2010, 05:05 PM
They say that kids and animals are the hardest things to work with. animals, by far are the hardest...

8:00 yesterday morning I was loading our elk up for a showing, well the puppies just had to get a closer look. Needless to say they startled her. I was holding her lead-rope, before I could react, she had bolted. I ended up smashing into the side of a vending machine, moving the unit 3 inches...:eek:

Injuries include; rope burns on my left hand, a broken big toe and all but two ribs on my right side being broken, cracked or bruised.

Ow, doesn't even cover it. I was prescribed Motrin 800 and Lortab 5, which are enough to take the edge off the pain but that's it.

How many of you guys have said, " I got this.", only to have it bite you in the butt?

So what kind of sauce are you going to use for the bar-b-cue? :D

Apache
08-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Oh man, rib injuries hurt like a bastard and seem to take forever to heal. Do you have a rib belt?

They don't wrap rib injuries anymore. A couple of the ribs feel like they are broken in multiple places. So I will be piloting a desk for a while...:(

Apache
08-20-2010, 05:23 PM
So what kind of sauce are you going to use for the bar-b-cue? :D

I can't get mad at her, for my own stupidity. I should've paid more attention to what else was going on...:o

Hawkgirl
08-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Ouch, hope you feel better soon.

Something similar but no where as serious happened to me the other day. I had my front door open as I was waving goodbye to guests, and my cat bolted out the door. I had to sneak up on her and grab her before she ran away...well, that startled her too, and she attacked my hand/wrist/arm. I literally had to throw her back into the house but she did draw some blood...c'est la vie....

malloc
08-20-2010, 05:50 PM
I did something similarly stupid, with the "I got this one guys" attitude.

When I was younger I worked for my father's construction company. At one site, we had to set a garage door header, which is a huge length of thick of laminated beam. The small crane service we rented canceled, and rescheduled for the next day. I knew we'd have trusses in the next day so I wanted to get that beam set. Being a pretty big guy, I had two crewman grab one end, a couple in the middle, and me on the other end by myself. Long story short, my old step ladder collapsed under the weight, and this caused the beam to topple toward my side hitting my head, bouncing and landing on my foot. My hard hat saved me from most of it, but my bell was still rung, which was a good thing because it distracted me from my mangled toe, which to this day is still mangled. I should have probably just waited on the crane, and pushed setting the trusses by a day.

Articulate_Ape
08-20-2010, 05:56 PM
They don't wrap rib injuries anymore. (

Really? Why not? It has been years since I have cracked or broken a rib, but I remember for the two times it happened I dreaded removing the rib belt because it helped shit stay in place that well.

I hope you heal up fast, Apache.

Apache
08-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Really? Why not? It has been years since I have cracked or broken a rib, but I remember for the two times it happened I dreaded removing the rib belt because it helped shit stay in place that well.

They said it doesn't really help anything. Oh and get this, I have to make myself hold a pillow, inhale deeply, and cough EVERY waking hour :eek:

Articulate_Ape
08-20-2010, 07:39 PM
They said it doesn't really help anything. Oh and get this, I have to make myself hold a pillow, inhale deeply, and cough EVERY waking hour :eek:

Their ass is sucking pond water. Get a rib belt at the pharmacy and you will see. Seriously, dude, is your doctor's office in a tepee or what?

Apache
08-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Their ass is sucking pond water. Get a rib belt at the pharmacy and you will see. Seriously, dude, is your doctor's office in a tepee or what?

ER in the Morgan County hospital....:rolleyes:

Also with mutiple breaks in some bones, I think its better unwrapped...:)

Anybody else wanna chime in? I appreicate your position AA (really do bud) I've been told in two states now that it's better not to wrap the ribs....what say you guys?

Rockntractor
08-20-2010, 07:53 PM
I'd say now might be a good time to take up drinking!:eek:

Articulate_Ape
08-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Patriot will agree with me but suggest bacon. :p

Gingersnap
08-20-2010, 07:54 PM

As a veteran of more than one cracked rib myself, I'll take Pneumonia for $500, Alex. While the taping or other support helps with the pain and mobility issues, it also causes you take very shallow breaths. Usually, this no big deal but a lot of people end up with infections like pneumonia. The very comfort of the support means that the pneumonia symptoms get overlooked until it's a major bad deal. This is also why you are supposed to cough.

That's the we're-torturing-you-for-a-real-reason, not-just-because-it's-fun-for-us story they spun me last time. :mad:

Articulate_Ape
08-20-2010, 07:58 PM
As a veteran of more than one cracked rib myself, I'll take Pneumonia for $500, Alex. While the taping or other support helps with the pain and mobility issues, it also causes you take very shallow breaths. Usually, this no big deal but a lot of people end up with infections like pneumonia. The very comfort of the support means that the pneumonia symptoms get overlooked until it's a major bad deal. This is also why you are supposed to cough.

That's the we're-torturing-you-a-real-reason, not-just-because-it's-fun-for-us story they spun me last time. :mad:

Hmm, my rib belts were just wide elastic with adjustable Velcro closures. As I recall I did not sleep while wearing them and never noticed any constriction on breathing while wearing them. I sure as hell noticed when I took them off. I'm just sayin'.

Gingersnap
08-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Hmm, my rib belts were just wide elastic with adjustable Velcro closures. As I recall I did not sleep while wearing them and never noticed any constriction on breathing while wearing them. I sure as hell noticed when I took them off. I'm just sayin'.

You don't notice the shallow breathing - that's the problem. Or so they told me. I've had it both ways, taped and untaped and untaped is much more painful but supposedly less lethal.

Rockntractor
08-20-2010, 08:09 PM
You don't notice the shallow breathing - that's the problem. Or so they told me. I've had it both ways, taped and untaped and untaped is much more painful but supposedly less lethal.

I bet that hurt when you pulled that sticky tape off your boobs?:eek:

Articulate_Ape
08-20-2010, 08:14 PM

If they told you to jump off of a bridge, would you do that too? Damn, wood witch, I'd have thought you, of all people would know better. Sure, perhaps people that might be prone to such an infection should be wary, but a healthy adult? Please. I have several friend who also suffered fractured ribs and each used a rib belt with no ill effects, unless being able to function is an ill effect.

Gingersnap
08-20-2010, 08:27 PM
If they told you to jump off of a bridge, would you do that too? Damn, wood witch, I'd have thought you, of all people would know better. Sure, perhaps people that might be prone to such an infection should be wary, but a healthy adult? Please. I have several friend who also suffered fractured ribs and each used a rib belt with no ill effects, unless being able to function is an ill effect.

I pick my battles with the Whitecoats and this just wasn't one I felt like fighting. To tell the truth, although the pain was worse for about 3 days, the recovery time was actually shorter. Apparently, your muscles lock up to minimize the damage (hence, the additional pain) but the locking-up part makes your body work harder to heal it up faster. (That part I had to research on my own.) Meh, it sucks either way. :(

Articulate_Ape
08-20-2010, 09:00 PM
I pick my battles with the Whitecoats and this just wasn't one I felt like fighting. To tell the truth, although the pain was worse for about 3 days, the recovery time was actually shorter. Apparently, your muscles lock up to minimize the damage (hence, the additional pain) but the locking-up part makes your body work harder to heal it up faster. (That part I had to research on my own.) Meh, it sucks either way. :(

Indeed. I hope Apache recovers quickly and doesn't repeat this fail with his next camel trammel.

Gingersnap
08-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Indeed. I hope Apache recovers quickly and doesn't repeat this fail with his next camel trammel.

Technically, this was an elk emergency. :D

Kay
08-21-2010, 12:04 AM
it also causes you take very shallow breaths. Usually, this no big deal but a lot of people end up with infections like pneumonia. The very comfort of the support means that the pneumonia symptoms get overlooked until it's a major bad deal.

Ah-haaa....perhaps this is why women back in the 1800s died young from pneumonia.
Those damn tight corsets they used to wear every day.

Apache, I hate to hear of this.
I sure hope you heal up fast.
I know that's got to be painful.
(sittin' at a desk for weeks, I mean)

RobJohnson
08-21-2010, 04:05 AM
I bet that hurt when you pulled that sticky tape off your boobs?:eek:

The tape takes the hair with it. :p

Sorry to hear about the injury, Apache.

NJCardFan
08-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Complacency will sometimes get you killed. A majority of injuries in my line of work stems from taking your eye off the ball. A guy I work with got his ass handed to him a few months ago. An angry inmate came up to him wanting something and was told to go back to his cell and wait for the movement to get called out. He threw his ID on the desk and when the officer picked it up and averted his eyes to look at it, the inmate pounced. This was a hit by the way. Not on this officer in particular, but anyone in blue that day.

Apache
08-21-2010, 12:48 PM

That's the we're-torturing-you-for-a-real-reason, not-just-because-it's-fun-for-us story they spun me last time. :mad:

Why couldn't they just say that? :rolleyes:

Apache
08-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Hopefully have some pics up soon...

m00
08-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Complacency will sometimes get you killed. A majority of injuries in my line of work stems from taking your eye off the ball. A guy I work with got his ass handed to him a few months ago. An angry inmate came up to him wanting something and was told to go back to his cell and wait for the movement to get called out. He threw his ID on the desk and when the officer picked it up and averted his eyes to look at it, the inmate pounced. This was a hit by the way. Not on this officer in particular, but anyone in blue that day.

Honest question:

Do you think inmates come into prison that way, or do you think they are made that way by the institution?