PDA

View Full Version : I love pie.

SarasotaRepub
08-21-2010, 04:17 PM
We have an Amish place here in Sarasota called Yoder's (http://www.yodersrestaurant.com/) and they are know for good food, including these...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/63e3b217.jpg

Now if that pie looks heavy...it is! And the very bestest part??? 100% free! :eek:

We had a Welcome Wagon coupon and we cashed the sucker in today. :D

Rockntractor
08-21-2010, 04:20 PM
We have an Amish place here in Sarasota called Yoder's (http://www.yodersrestaurant.com/) and they are know for good food, including these...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/63e3b217.jpg

Now if that pie looks heavy...it is! And the very bestest part??? 100% free! :eek:

We had a Welcome Wagon coupon and we cashed the sucker in today. :D
Sweet!!!:D I still have half a key lime in the fridge, we have been eating it with strawberries and whipped cream on top.

warpig
08-21-2010, 04:49 PM
http://991.com/newGallery/Warrant-Cherry-Pie-395912.jpg

Did someone mention pie??

hampshirebrit
08-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Hey, I love pie too. Doesn't everybody?

Because it looks like I will be in Teh Yuk all week next week, I am going to make a rhubarb pie tomorrow. I haven't made a pie for ages.

SaintLouieWoman
08-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey, I love pie too. Doesn't everybody?

Because it looks like I will be in Teh Yuk all week next week, I am going to make a rhubarb pie tomorrow. I haven't made a pie for ages.

Sounds delicious. Have you ever made rhubarb and strawberry pie? That was my mom's specialty.

They had a shoofly pie, pumpkin pie and cherry pie left. (the pies sell out quickly at Yoder's). It's a place with delicious food owned and run by the local Amish.

Since this was SR's belated birthday pie, he got to pick. He went for the chocolate cream.

It's a really large pie---10 inch--just stuffed with layers of deliciousness. :D

hampshirebrit
08-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Sounds delicious. Have you ever made rhubarb and strawberry pie?

Wow, I haven't and that sounds like a good idea. I will hie me down to Tesco tomorrow and get some strawberries (already have the 'barb). I'm guessing just chuck some strawberries in, but if you have a recipe, that would be good.

Rockntractor
08-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Wow, I haven't and that sounds like a good idea. I will hie me down to Tesco tomorrow and get some strawberries (already have the 'barb). I'm guessing just chuck some strawberries in, but if you have a recipe, that would be good.

The strawberry rhubarb is good but my grandma made a blueberry rhubarb that was even better!

hampshirebrit
08-21-2010, 05:07 PM
The strawberry rhubarb is good but my grandma made a blueberry rhubarb that was even better!

Bloody hell. I got some blueberries today that I was planning to use for short-stacks for brekky tomorrow (sort of a Sunday tradition at Festung Hamps).

Recipes, folks, I need recipes. :D

SaintLouieWoman
08-21-2010, 05:08 PM

How about a strawberry blueberry rhubarb pie? Now that's both good for you and delicious.

Hamp, I think my mom just threw some strawberries in the mix. I believe she cut back the sugar just a tad, as the strawberries added a bit of sweetness to the tart rhubarb. She always made a rhubarb sauce for us and also rhubarb pie each spring.

Sadly I didn't inherit her pie baking skills. I'm fine with cookies and cake, but my pie crust never turns out OK, so I always do some sort of crumb crust.

Rockntractor
08-21-2010, 05:10 PM
How about a strawberry blueberry rhubarb pie? Now that's both good for you and delicious.

Heavenly! Is that even legal?:confused:

SaintLouieWoman
08-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Bloody hell. I got some blueberries today that I was planning to use for short-stacks for brekky tomorrow (sort of a Sunday tradition at Festung Hamps).

Recipes, folks, I need recipes. :D

That sounds good. We have some fresh blueberries and think will make short-stacks (or pancakes as they call them in the US) tomorrow.

Today SR did the breakfast making. He opened a can of that corned beef hash and fried it with eggs over easy on the top. He chopped up some red onions into the hash and made the whole mess nice and crispy.

hampshirebrit
08-21-2010, 05:15 PM
I put in a half tsp of ground ginger in with anything rhubarb. It's considered de-rigeur to do that here, and it does work, as it brings out the flavour. Not sure if it would work with strawbs and/or blueberries, so need some guidance.

Shortcrust pastry ... that's something I've taken to quite well. I'm actually amazed at how well I've done with pastry considering I never even tried it before the kitchen refit last year. I've found that the amount of water in the cut is the most important thing in getting it right.

SaintLouieWoman
08-21-2010, 05:22 PM
I put in a half tsp of ground ginger in with anything rhubarb. It's considered de-rigeur to do that here, and it does work, as it brings out the flavour. Not sure if it would work with strawbs and/or blueberries, so need some guidance.

Shortcrust pastry ... that's something I've taken to quite well. I'm actually amazed at how well I've done with pastry considering I never even tried it before the kitchen refit last year. I've found that the amount of water in the cut is the most important thing in getting it right.

You're inspiring me to try again. I have my mom's little wooden crimping tool, which had been her mom's. I guess I'm letting them down just allowing it to remain untouched in the drawer.

My mom used to take little strips of leftover dough and sprinkle them with a bit of sugar and cinnamon, then roll them up into little pinwheels and bake them on a separate pan while the pie was baking. Of course she'd have to watch so they wouldn't burn, as they were approximately an inch across. They were simple but heavenly.

My mom was a quiet, old-fashioned German. Her mom came to the US from Germany shortly before my mom was born. She never expressed her feelings for us in any way other than her cooking. She wouldn't win Mrs Obama's approval. :D

hampshirebrit
08-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Heh... I do that with pastry offcuts as well. I'll give the cinnamon thingy a try.

bijou
08-21-2010, 05:29 PM

http://www.rhubarbrecipes.co.uk/strawberry-rhubarb-pie/

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/rhubarb-and-strawberry-pie/Detail.aspx

Don't forget to eggwash the base and sprinkle a small amount of semolina or cornflour on top of the egg to soak up the liquid in the rhubarb or you are in danger of getting a very sloppy pie.

hampshirebrit
08-21-2010, 05:35 PM
See, didn't I say before that Teh Bijou is a genius at this? I'll be trying the cornflour trick tomorrow ... I just assumed that rhubarb pie was destined to be runny. :D

Articulate_Ape
08-21-2010, 07:27 PM
It is written,"The only thing better than pie is more pie." I know because I wrote it.

RobJohnson
08-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Today SR did the breakfast making. He opened a can of that corned beef hash and fried it with eggs over easy on the top. He chopped up some red onions into the hash and made the whole mess nice and crispy.

That sounds good, the pie sounds even better. :D

RobJohnson
08-21-2010, 08:00 PM
http://www.rhubarbrecipes.co.uk/strawberry-rhubarb-pie/

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/rhubarb-and-strawberry-pie/Detail.aspx

Don't forget to eggwash the base and sprinkle a small amount of semolina or cornflour on top of the egg to soak up the liquid in the rhubarb or you are in danger of getting a very sloppy pie.

At first I read semolina to be salmonella. :eek:

Hard to bake without eggs.

Egg Recall (http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/24696451/detail.html)

SaintLouieWoman
08-22-2010, 09:10 AM
At first I read semolina to be salmonella. :eek:

Hard to bake without eggs.

Egg Recall (http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/24696451/detail.html)

We've been getting the eggs from the Amish folk here. The eggs are local. Hopefully we'll be safe.

marinejcksn
08-22-2010, 09:19 AM
We've been getting the eggs from the Amish folk here. The eggs are local. Hopefully we'll be safe.

They'll be safe. I get my eggs from my Dad's friend who works on the farm and owns a large chickenhouse of 35,000 laying hens. Straight from the bird's a-hole. The reason people got sick and they announced this massive recall was because:

a. The eggs were manufactured from MAY to AUGUST. If you're eating eggs that were dated in May, you deserve to get sick, you idiot.

b. The lamestream media blew the whole thing outta proportion, just like the incident with Toyota.

c. Morons aren't cooking their eggs long enough. I lived on a farm all my life. You can eat eggs that're over a month or two old, if you have to. You just have to use them for baking or hard scrambled. No dippy eggs, sunny side up or over easy. Once they've been outta the chicken for about a month, the yolk separates from the white and you can get sick. Every farmboy knows this.

If Amish sold them to you and they're fresh, you'll be okay. Ask them for a Pecan Pie when you buy your next dozen. ;)

NJCardFan
08-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Yoder is Amish for Smith.

SaintLouieWoman
08-22-2010, 12:20 PM
They'll be safe. I get my eggs from my Dad's friend who works on the farm and owns a large chickenhouse of 35,000 laying hens. Straight from the bird's a-hole. The reason people got sick and they announced this massive recall was because:

a. The eggs were manufactured from MAY to AUGUST. If you're eating eggs that were dated in May, you deserve to get sick, you idiot.

b. The lamestream media blew the whole thing outta proportion, just like the incident with Toyota.

c. Morons aren't cooking their eggs long enough. I lived on a farm all my life. You can eat eggs that're over a month or two old, if you have to. You just have to use them for baking or hard scrambled. No dippy eggs, sunny side up or over easy. Once they've been outta the chicken for about a month, the yolk separates from the white and you can get sick. Every farmboy knows this.

If Amish sold them to you and they're fresh, you'll be okay. Ask them for a Pecan Pie when you buy your next dozen. ;)

We should have gotten the shoofly pie there, maybe next time.

An Amish family, mom, dad and son cut our grass. They're reliable and trustworthy, really like their work and like them as individuals. The dad steered us to a guy, also Amish, who trimmed our trees and the palm trees.

There have been so many scammers down here that it's a delight to find people that I can trust. If one of them screws us over, I'll lose total faith.

marinejcksn
08-22-2010, 08:42 PM
The Amish are the last true Americans, in my opinion. They say what they mean and mean what they say. When one is a douche, the entire community knows it and deals with it. You never hear of Amish bank robbers or drug dealers or serial killers. Every other ethnicity has had those things, but not the Amish.

They may party like it's 1799, but except for one guy who still owe's my dad money for Hay over a year now, the Amish I've known in my life have kicked ass.

Rockntractor
08-22-2010, 08:50 PM
The Amish are the last true Americans, in my opinion. They say what they mean and mean what they say. When one is a douche, the entire community knows it and deals with it. You never hear of Amish bank robbers or drug dealers or serial killers. Every other ethnicity has had those things, but not the Amish.

They may party like it's 1799, but except for one guy who still owe's my dad money for Hay over a year now, the Amish I've known in my life have kicked ass.

That all is true, but it must be remembered that they refuse to protect our nation from foreign attackers in times of war.

marinejcksn
08-22-2010, 09:09 PM
That all is true, but it must be remembered that they refuse to protect our nation from foreign attackers in times of war.

So did the Quakers. I'd take William Penn over Obama anyday.

RobJohnson
08-23-2010, 03:13 AM

As long as the eggs are fully cooked they are fine. The problem here is that they were all pulled from the shelf.

Think of all the resturants in Las Vegas that can't include eggs on the breakfast menu or buffet!

My eggs usually come from the farmer's market.

SaintLouieWoman
08-23-2010, 05:00 PM

The Amish guy who cuts our grass indeed is a good guy. He's honest, hard working. Besides that, he opened up when a few weeks ago I told him that SR and I were going to the Hannity concert in Orlando. He opened up and said he liked Hannity and was disgusted with Obama. We talked further, and he's conservative in every sense of the word.

My sis keeps asking me if they drive their buggies all over. They don't drive buggies in this area, but they do have very neat, well-cared for trucks. Many of them ride bikes, some 3 wheelers with little trailers for hauling in the rear.

bflavin
08-23-2010, 09:53 PM
If you are ever in the Wichita, KS area, make a 30 minute drive to Yoder, just south of Hutchinson. It's a small Amish community that has an excellent restaurant (The Carriage Crossing), plus 2 deli type shops, 1 at the grocery store and the other at Kansas Meats, the butcher shop. Great food.

Rockntractor
08-23-2010, 09:56 PM
If you are ever in the Wichita, KS area, make a 30 minute drive to Yoder, just south of Hutchinson. It's a small Amish community that has an excellent restaurant (The Carriage Crossing), plus 2 deli type shops, 1 at the grocery store and the other at Kansas Meats, the butcher shop. Great food.

They have the best lamb summer sausage I have ever eaten, I go there and fill a cooler about twice a year.

bflavin
08-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Yeah, whenever I go to training at the college campus a few miles outside of Yoder, we go to the Carriage Crossing. Their chicken fried steak is amazing, not to mention the pie.

SaintLouieWoman
08-24-2010, 09:08 PM

Wish I were back in the Midwest, which isn't the land of the scammers like it is here in Florida. The guy who came to the house to give us a quote on another home repair said all the dregs come from the north and settle down here. I've met many nice people here, but not too many businesses that I'd trust.

My Darlene dawg (black greyhound) came from Wichita. Some friends there were nice enough to bring her to St Joseph, Missouri, to a greyhound gathering. I went with a friend and we picked Darlene up there. Some of my fondest memories are of the good folks in Kansas, particularly in Abilene. They have one heck of a greyhound reunion party there that goes on for a couple of days. We'd visit the greyhound farms, the greyhound hall of fame, the training tracks where the dogs had a chance to run again, and for a sidetrip went to the races in Wichita. I think all those tracks are closed now, probably a good thing.

RobJohnson
08-25-2010, 12:38 AM
Wish I were back in the Midwest, which isn't the land of the scammers like it is here in Florida. The guy who came to the house to give us a quote on another home repair said all the dregs come from the north and settle down here. I've met many nice people here, but not too many businesses that I'd trust.

My Darlene dawg (black greyhound) came from Wichita. Some friends there were nice enough to bring her to St Joseph, Missouri, to a greyhound gathering. I went with a friend and we picked Darlene up there. Some of my fondest memories are of the good folks in Kansas, particularly in Abilene. They have one heck of a greyhound reunion party there that goes on for a couple of days. We'd visit the greyhound farms, the greyhound hall of fame, the training tracks where the dogs had a chance to run again, and for a sidetrip went to the races in Wichita. I think all those tracks are closed now, probably a good thing.

Most of the people that I have became friends with here in Nevada are from the Midwest. My mom has had the same luck.

I have found a couple of repair people to be very honest. We have someone for the cars, houses, a/c, etc.

This new house I bought had to have the well and septic certified for the county prior to sale. It cost me $175 for it to be checked out and the water tested. It all cleared. When I flipped the breaker to turn on the well pump, guess what? A leaky pipe at both ends. So I guess they checked out the well in the dark with the power off....the good news is my handy man fixed the leak and only charged me $30.

There are scammers everywhere. One friend had an estimate of $13,000 for a chain link fence around their one acre lot. They found someone else that installed the same type of fence for $6000. A big difference in price. I seen the fence, it looks nice.