PDA

View Full Version : Fortress Sarasota!

SarasotaRepub
08-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Our new home came somewhat complete Hurricane wise but we've needed to add some items.

The garage door was replaced a few weeks ago with one that can withstand 165mph winds.
On Monday, the front door and the pool bathroom door get Accordian Shutters installed. The glass in these two doors was NOT hurricane resistant even thought the house was billed as all doors hurricane resistant. The rest of the windows and sliders have been replaced by products from PGT (http://www.pgtindustries.com/Pages/Main.aspx).
The finale will be the Generator!!! We had a contractor come out to the house today and I'm going to get two additional bids. Since natural gas is not an option this time, the only realistic way to go is propane. This of course introduces an additional expense of a storage tank. We have plenty of room for the tank, thats not a problem. They are buried underground and the only indication of a tank is a cap for the refill equipment. There are two such installs within site of my front yard. The Generator should run for about a week, 10 days, on a full tank. And an interesting factoid...should we get hit with a major storm, propane delivery trucks get emergency priority. (Assuming anyone is around to drive them...yes, I realize that.) :D

Rockntractor
08-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Our new home came somewhat complete Hurricane wise but we've needed to add some items.

The garage door was replaced a few weeks ago with one that can withstand 165mph winds.
On Monday, the front door and the pool bathroom door get Accordian Shutters installed. The glass in these two doors was NOT hurricane resistant even thought the house was billed as all doors hurricane resistant. The rest of the windows and sliders have been replaced by products from PGT (http://www.pgtindustries.com/Pages/Main.aspx).
The finale will be the Generator!!! We had a contractor come out to the house today and I'm going to get two additional bids. Since natural gas is not an option this time, the only realistic way to go is propane. This of course introduces an additional expense of a storage tank. We have plenty of room for the tank, thats not a problem. They are buried underground and the only indication of a tank is a cap for the refill equipment. There are two such installs within site of my front yard. The Generator should run for about a week, 10 days, on a full tank. And an interesting factoid...should we get hit with a major storm, propane delivery trucks get emergency priority. (Assuming anyone is around to drive them...yes, I realize that.) :D

If natural gas is not an option is diesel a viable option?

SarasotaRepub
08-21-2010, 07:38 PM
If natural gas is not an option is diesel a viable option?

Probably not Rock. Which do you think would be less painful to get a HOA to approve?
Propane, which is already in the development, or....diesel???

Articulate_Ape
08-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Generator for what? Seems to me that a good portable gas or diesel generator would cover your basic needs and even have enough left over to charge the old lady's vibrator.

lacarnut
08-21-2010, 07:45 PM

That is a shame you can not use natural gas. I am considering a Generac natural gas one. Not sure what size to get. Need to get a contractor to give me a price. Waiting for my Aunt's Inheritance $$$.

Articulate_Ape
08-21-2010, 07:47 PM
If the goal is "off the grid" independence, then propane is the way to go in terms of a permanent installation. NG can be shut down like any utility.

RobJohnson
08-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Generator for what? Seems to me that a good portable gas or diesel generator would cover your basic needs and even have enough left over to charge the old lady's vibrator.

His wife is much younger and is not his "old lady." Your post is in very poor taste. :mad:

Rockntractor
08-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Probably not Rock. Which do you think would be less painful to get a HOA to approve?
Propane, which is already in the development, or....diesel???

They are a little too far into your business than I would like. The diesel would be the safest and the easiest to get a hold of if there was some sort of prolonged supply crisis. Maintenance wise the diesel engine would last longer but the propane is real close. I have different generators that run on gasoline, propane , natural gas and diesel.and i have a propane fueled pickup as well as diesel, all good fuels but when we were shut down from the ice storm a few years ago the diesel was the easiest to get. i know you don't have ice in Florida but you have hurricanes that block the road with garbage just like the broken trees blocked our roads.

SarasotaRepub
08-21-2010, 08:00 PM

CW, I've always known it was you. Bye. :)

patriot45
08-21-2010, 08:15 PM

He tried to play the good game though!:rolleyes:
They just can't help themselves!

I'm sure there is another one crawling around.

Rockntractor
08-21-2010, 08:25 PM
CW, I've always know it was you. Bye. :)

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/monkey_dead.jpg?t=1282436694

SarasotaRepub
08-21-2010, 08:36 PM
They are a little too far into your business than I would like. The diesel would be the safest and the easiest to get a hold of if there was some sort of prolonged supply crisis. Maintenance wise the diesel engine would last longer but the propane is real close. I have different generators that run on gasoline, propane , natural gas and diesel.and i have a propane fueled pickup as well as diesel, all good fuels but when we were shut down from the ice storm a few years ago the diesel was the easiest to get. i know you don't have ice in Florida but you have hurricanes that block the road with garbage just like the broken trees blocked our roads.

Storage of the fuel is the obvious question Rock, diesel is out as far as I'm concerned for the same reason as gasoline. You can't store enough of it, legally, to make a person feel secure. Or safe. :D

lacarnut
08-21-2010, 08:40 PM

The Rat got a second chance and blew it. Next time around his ass will get canned sooner.

Dang....it looks like I will not be able to collect my bet from this turkey.

Rockntractor
08-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Storage of the fuel is the obvious question Rock, diesel is out as far as I'm concerned for the same reason as gasoline. You can't store enough of it, legally, to make a person feel secure. Or safe. :D

I live out in the country, different situation entirely. I actually have one oil well i take care of that has crude so light and clean you can run trucks and tractors off it. if everything shut down i would still be moving one way or another.

SarasotaRepub
08-21-2010, 08:51 PM

Whether it was Cold Warrior or not, (and frankly, I don't care) it never fails to amaze me how some dipshit, that I've never met in person, could think they'd get away with a remark like that without getting their ass banned.

hampshirebrit
08-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Whether it was Cold Warrior or not, (and frankly, I don't care) it never fails to amaze me how some dipshit, that I've never met in person, could think they'd get away with a remark like that without getting their ass banned.

A big disappointment. Couldn't believe he posted that crap when I saw it. :mad:

m00
08-22-2010, 04:40 AM
Wow, what just happened!

djones520
08-22-2010, 04:41 AM
Articulate_Ape found himself on the wrong end of the banhammer.

SarasotaRepub
08-22-2010, 09:23 AM
I live out in the country, different situation entirely. I actually have one oil well i take care of that has crude so light and clean you can run trucks and tractors off it. if everything shut down i would still be moving one way or another.

Cool! That is a SHTF plus if I ever heard one!! You could set yourself up as a Swine Emperor!!! :D

Yeah, diesel is a good safe fuel but storing it in my development?? Never happen. :( :D

RobJohnson
08-23-2010, 03:21 AM
Cool! That is a SHTF plus if I ever heard one!! You could set yourself up as a Swine Emperor!!! :D

Yeah, diesel is a good safe fuel but storing it in my development?? Never happen. :( :D

Propane will work fine.

There is no natural gas where I live, everything is propane or electric.

Sonnabend
08-23-2010, 05:27 AM
SR do you guys use LPG for the car or for heater fuel? I've seen specs for a home heating system that is almost failsafe (no I dont remember where, I just know that here LPG is becoming more popular)

Propane is okay but storage is a pain in the ass. Underground maybe?

SarasotaRepub
08-23-2010, 07:23 AM
SR do you guys use LPG for the car or for heater fuel? I've seen specs for a home heating system that is almost failsafe (no I dont remember where, I just know that here LPG is becoming more popular)

Propane is okay but storage is a pain in the ass. Underground maybe?

Heat in this house is by heatpump (reverse of an a/c unit), or if it is below 35 F, a heat strip (which can get expensive real fast.)

Some people heat with propane but it isn't a super popular option. Some counties use propane powered cars/buses, I believe UPS also has a fleet of propane powered package cars but they don't use em everywhere.

Sonnabend
08-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Why not use a convection heater?

PoliCon
08-23-2010, 10:42 AM
A truly socially responsible person would just install solar panels ;) :D

SarasotaRepub
08-23-2010, 09:22 PM
A truly socially responsible person would just install solar panels ;) :D

LOL!! They are selling those. But I don't have an acre for the battery farm needed.

PoliCon
08-23-2010, 09:35 PM
LOL!! They are selling those. But I don't have an acre for the battery farm needed.

Bury them under your neighbors yard ;)

SaintLouieWoman
08-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Bury them under your neighbors yard ;)

I don't think so. On one side there's a lady from Germany who tolerates no stealthy burials of solar stuff. On the other side are the folks who gave us the poop bags as a welcoming gift.

There has to be another solution.

malloc
08-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Heat in this house is by heatpump (reverse of an a/c unit), or if it is below 35 F, a heat strip (which can get expensive real fast.)

I can't imagine you'd have temperatures below 35 in Florida often do you? Of course, all I really know about Florida is what they show me on Burn Notice, so I'm not really sure.

PoliCon
08-23-2010, 10:00 PM
I don't think so. On one side there's a lady from Germany who tolerates no stealthy burials of solar stuff. On the other side are the folks who gave us the poop bags as a welcoming gift.

There has to be another solution.

you should let the dogs dig the holes for the batteries in the poop bag lady's yard. Think of the poetic justice ;)

Rockntractor
08-23-2010, 10:11 PM
you should let the dogs dig the holes for the batteries in the poop bag lady's yard. Think of the poetic justice ;)

Wait a minute! Poli you have got it, use the poop filled bags to make methane to run the generator.:D

SarasotaRepub
08-24-2010, 06:48 AM
I can't imagine you'd have temperatures below 35 in Florida often do you? Of course, all I really know about Florida is what they show me on Burn Notice, so I'm not really sure.

Usually no but they had several of those days last winter. :eek:

Articulate_Ape
08-24-2010, 08:00 PM
The Rat got a second chance and blew it. Next time around his ass will get canned sooner.

Dang....it looks like I will not be able to collect my bet from this turkey.

Oh, our bet is still on, my friend; and this turkey is gonna be gobbling when you make your generous donation to CU. Oh yeah, you betcha. :p

Articulate_Ape
08-24-2010, 08:04 PM
And if you are wondering, the answer is that SR has classiness that exceeds even my crassness.

SaintLouieWoman
08-24-2010, 08:12 PM
And if you are wondering, the answer is that SR has classiness that exceeds even my crassness.

Someone on this board has to have it. Its seems pm's can be sent to the admin to suck up, but no other apologies are made.

Your crassness knows no limits.

hampshirebrit
08-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Someone on this board has to have it. Its seems pm's can be sent to the admin to suck up, but no other apologies are made.

AA, SLW just gave you a cue for your apology to her.

You are gonna take that cue, right?

Articulate_Ape
08-24-2010, 08:20 PM

I apologize for my crassness. I apologize for any offense my crassness may have caused to anyone here, ESPECIALLY SLW . I am not sure what more I can say beyond that. I already feel like John Cleese hanging out a fourth floor flat's window with Otto clutching my ankles.

hampshirebrit
08-24-2010, 08:33 PM
I apologize for my crassness.

That would have been enough from you. You could have skipped the next couple of sentences. Don't get fucking cute with us.

What you said was appalling. Maybe you'd had a bit too much to drink, or maybe smoke. That's the only slack I was prepared to cut you in your defence.

CU posters' SOs are OFF LIMITS. This rule applies to everyone here.

Next time you pull this shit, I will not back you up.

JB
08-24-2010, 08:37 PM
CU posters' SOs are OFF LIMITS.The SO is a CU poster.

Articulate_Ape
08-24-2010, 08:39 PM
That would have been enough from you. You could have skipped the next couple of sentences. Don't get fucking cute with us.

What you said was appalling. Maybe you'd had a bit too much to drink, or maybe smoke. That's the only slack I was prepared to cut you in your defence.

CU posters' SOs are OFF LIMITS. This rule applies to everyone here.

Next time you pull this shit, I will not back you up.

I understand, hamp.

Articulate_Ape
08-24-2010, 08:43 PM
The SO is a CU poster.

Let it go, man. I displayed bad form and take full responsibility for that. I think I have apologized, hamp's editorial review notwithstanding, and I am genuinely sorry if I ever genuinely offend any member here. I like this place.

PoliCon
08-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Let it go, man. I displayed bad form and take full responsibility for that. I think I have apologized, hamp's editorial review notwithstanding, and I am genuinely sorry if I ever genuinely offend any member here. I like this place.

Lots of us like to take it to the line - sometimes we cross over. It's good to be able to admit when we do cross that line and seek forgiveness.

hampshirebrit
The SO is a CU poster.

So what. What the hell difference does that make?

"This rule applies to everyone here." Which bit of the word "everyone" is so difficult for you to get?

SaintLouieWoman

I've never had any dispute with you on the board and didn't deserve your nasty crack. And forced apologies are better than none, but not much.

hampshirebrit
08-24-2010, 08:49 PM
I understand, hamp.

OK, good.

Then if you do care about this place, and you do like posting here, and you do feel it's worth contributing to, then carry on, by all means.

Articulate_Ape
08-24-2010, 08:50 PM
I've never had any dispute with you on the board and didn't deserve your nasty crack. And forced apologies are better than none, but not much.

It is not forced, SLW, it is sincere. I can't make you believe that, but it is so.

JB
08-24-2010, 09:06 PM
So what.So the fucking hypocrisy in this thread is making me puke, so what. Gator ran off more good members of CU than I can count through personal attacks and vile language and no one ever said a god damn word to him. And now SLW is posting about things that happened in PM.

hamps, you're a good egg but know this: if you should ever feel it necessary to suggest I apologize to someone on this board for something I've said, don't do it.

hampshirebrit
08-24-2010, 09:14 PM
hamps, you're a good egg but know this: if you should ever feel it necessary to suggest I apologize to someone on this board for something I've said, don't do it.

I'm assuming you're a good egg too, and thus guessing that you aren't going to make me feel it necessary.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

JB
08-24-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm assuming you're a good egg too, and thus guessing that you aren't going to make me feel it necessary.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.You freaking ruined a good rant you bastard.

I gotta go eat dinner. Later.

SarasotaRepub
08-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Calm down everyone. Oy!

hampshirebrit
08-24-2010, 09:18 PM
You freaking ruined a good rant you bastard.

I gotta go eat dinner. Later.

Funny bastard. It was good while it lasted. I gotta go to bed. :D

lacarnut
08-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Oh, our bet is still on, my friend; and this turkey is gonna be gobbling when you make your generous donation to CU. Oh yeah, you betcha. :p

Behave yourself cause Palin is going all the way to the W.H. I betcha; you betcha.:)

Articulate_Ape
08-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Behave yourself cause Palin is going all the way to the W.H. I betcha; you betcha.:)

Heh.

Rockntractor
08-24-2010, 09:34 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/cute-little-kids.jpg?t=1282700019

Articulate_Ape
08-24-2010, 09:46 PM
The middle one is you, right? It's the nose.

Rockntractor
08-24-2010, 09:47 PM
The middle one is you, right? It's the nose.

Yeah.:D

Articulate_Ape
08-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Yeah.:D

I may have a big mouth, but I also have a good eye for noses.

RobJohnson
08-24-2010, 09:59 PM

Some people heat with propane but it isn't a super popular option. Some counties use propane powered cars/buses, I believe UPS also has a fleet of propane powered package cars but they don't use em everywhere.

Back in the early 80's my grandparents converted a new Ford van to run on LP. It saved a ton of money on gas, as grandpa had to go to the VA hospital in Iowa City, IA at least once a month for gold shots for his RA. It was quite the trip and when he would get sick and have to stay in the hospital, my grandmother slept in the van out in the parking lot with her .25 pistol close by!

Propane burns clean, at 80,000 miles the engine had almost zero carbon build up....

They had a household 500 gallon tank that they fueled up from at home...household LP had no road tax, LOL.

The fuel savings paid for the conversion in less then two years.

SR, for back up electric space heat, look into one of these: http://www.edenpure.com/
I found great deals online at eBay on the two I bought. One for me and one for my mom...I used less then 7 gallons of propane all last winter, as I only had to kick on the furnace twice and don't do a lot of cooking at home. Several neighbors seen the heaters and could not believe how quiet they were and they also ordered one for themselves. They are pet friendly also. My mom did not have to worry about the cat. If mom is happy, RobJohnson is happy. :D

http://srs-resources.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Heater2020Cat.320193359_std.jpg

Articulate_Ape
08-24-2010, 10:32 PM
SR, if you are looking for awesomeness in LP generators, have you considered a micro-turbine co-gen unit? Electricity and hot water in one.

Rockntractor
08-24-2010, 10:42 PM
http://srs-resources.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Heater2020Cat.320193359_std.jpg
Wow ! How many cats do you have to burn each month to heat a house?:confused:

malloc
08-24-2010, 11:45 PM

Ok, that made me giggle. The more the better! In this regard I'd like to find a less fuel efficient heater.

RobJohnson
08-24-2010, 11:49 PM

LOL!!! :D

The picture just shows you have safe the heater is.

SarasotaRepub
08-28-2010, 11:56 AM
We had our two accordian shutters installed Friday...

The first one is covering our front door. There is a nice space inbetween the shutter and the house door to store stuff during a storm.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/e3a7595d.jpg

The second one is protecting the pool bath door...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/f37451c6.jpg

They are very easy to close and lock. The only part that takes a widdle time is getting the bottom track cover off but once that's done they are closed and ready in seconds.

RobJohnson
08-28-2010, 03:00 PM
^ They look great! One more thing you can cross off your Honey Do List! :D

SaintLouieWoman
08-28-2010, 04:46 PM
^ They look great! One more thing you can cross off your Honey Do List! :D

Now we're getting into planting. SR just went to the nursery with me, have 9 gallon sized plants as tomorrow morning's project.

The previous owner put begonias in a large bed. Problem is, they're in blazing sun. They had to be pulled out weeks ago. They recommended lantana. Hope they'll be OK, but if not, didn't lose much. We got some very nice large plants for only $1.99 each. Then we got some Mexican petunias to replace the geraniums that are dying out. I can already tell we'll have to go back for more of those.

The only bid we got for the generator was $11,500. I think it would be cheaper to make a reservation in the closest LaQuinta that's out of the storm path. We could easily stay a while with the pups before we'd run through $11k.

BadCat
08-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Now we're getting into planting. SR just went to the nursery with me, have 9 gallon sized plants as tomorrow morning's project.

The previous owner put begonias in a large bed. Problem is, they're in blazing sun. They had to be pulled out weeks ago. They recommended lantana. Hope they'll be OK, but if not, didn't lose much. We got some very nice large plants for only $1.99 each. Then we got some Mexican petunias to replace the geraniums that are dying out. I can already tell we'll have to go back for more of those.

The only bid we got for the generator was $11,500. I think it would be cheaper to make a reservation in the closest LaQuinta that's out of the storm path. We could easily stay a while with the pups before we'd run through $11k.

LOL!

Lantana grows in Phoenix without a drip system.

I'm sure they'll do quite well in FL.

RobJohnson
08-28-2010, 08:50 PM

Sounds like you have a big project in the morning but it will look nice when it's done.

I agree, eleven five is too much to spend on a generator. That would pay for lots of plane tickets back to St Louis to see the family.

m00
08-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Are they liberal proof? :D

SarasotaRepub
08-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Are they liberal proof? :D

LOL!!! I'm not sure...:D

m00
08-29-2010, 10:10 AM
LOL!!! I'm not sure...:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwcgo9V50Ck

:D