PDA

View Full Version : New senators want to change way Senate works

PoliCon
08-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Written By: Guest Contributor
Published: 8/22/2010 Print This Article

New senators want to change way Senate works

By JIM ABRAMS - Reprinted from Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON Those who hold the Senate in low esteem can get a sympathetic ear from some of the chamber's newer members. These lawmakers also are fed up with the Senate's ways and would like to change them.

"A graveyard of good ideas" is how freshman Democrat Tom Udall of New Mexico sees the Senate. "Out of whack with the way the rest of the world is," says another freshman, Michael Bennet, D-Colo. "Just defies common sense" is the impression of Claire McCaskill, a first-term Democrat from Missouri, in describing the filibuster-plagued institution.

New members, especially those from the majority party eager to fulfill their election promises, typically complain about the slow pace of the Senate. But with partisanship pushing the Senate toward petrification, some newcomers are seeking fundamental changes in the way the Senate operates. Getting their more senior colleagues to go along will not be easy.

CONTINUED (http://www.newpatriotjournal.com/Articles/New_senators_want_to_change_way_Senate_works)

lacarnut
08-22-2010, 11:50 PM
The old Dogs want to keep their power and seniority in check. New Democratic Senators will be told to be seen and not heard. I am afraid the Repubs will do the same thing when they take over the House and possibly the Senate.

Constitutionally Speaking
08-23-2010, 06:38 AM
Deleted by moderator

Never in our history has one party literally tried to destroy our country.

PoliCon
08-23-2010, 10:26 AM
These people forget that we are a REPUBLIC not a democracy.

Rockntractor
08-23-2010, 10:33 AM
I find this to be suspect, the junior senators demand more fairness, the old guard Dem's reluctantly cave and the Republicans are left with even less of a voice.

Zeus
08-23-2010, 10:47 AM
These people forget that we are a REPUBLIC not a democracy.

I agree. I'm also glad the rules change s sre a hard thing to do. Can you imagine the chaos created if the rules were able to be changed willy nilly. I also have no problem with difficulties passing new legislation.

Best way to keep govt out of our lives is to make it difficult for the gob=vt to legislate.

PoliCon
08-23-2010, 11:11 AM
I agree. I'm also glad the rules change s sre a hard thing to do. Can you imagine the chaos created if the rules were able to be changed willy nilly. I also have no problem with difficulties passing new legislation.

Best way to keep govt out of our lives is to make it difficult for the gob=vt to legislate.

Exactly. The Senate is supposed to be slow and thoughtful and deliberate on these issues. But then - they're also supposed to FUCKING READ what they vote on before they pass it! :mad: