PDA

View Full Version : The Republican divide: K Street vs. Tea Partiers

PoliCon
08-23-2010, 11:57 AM
By: Timothy P. Carney
Senior Examiner Columnist
August 22, 2010

Bob Dole, once the standard-bearer of the Republican Party, parlayed his political clout into personal wealth, and now he’s putting that wealth to work against a conservative Republican Senate candidate in a general election. Dole, now a lobbyist at Alston Bird, contributed $1,000 on Aug. 11 to the independent Senate campaign of Charlie Crist, who left the GOP in April.

Dole’s may be an extreme case — because he’s actually backing a non-Republican — but it epitomizes the fundamental split within the Republican Party.

The current GOP fault line is not exactly conservatives vs. moderates or new guard vs. old guard. For 2010, the rivalry is the Tea Party wing against the K Street wing. To tell which kind of Republican a candidate is, see how the Democrats attack him: If
he’s branded a shill for Wall Street, he’s from the K Street wing. If he’s labeled an extremist outside the mainstream, he’s a Tea Partier.

More tellingly, study their campaign contributions. K Street Republicans’ coffers are filled by the political action committees of defense contractors, drug companies, lobbying firms, and Wall Street banks. A Tea Party Republican is funded by the Club for Growth or the Senate Conservatives Fund, which is run by the Republican leadership’s least-favorite colleague, Jim DeMint.

In Colorado’s Senate primary last week, the Tea Party trumped K Street as Weld County District Attorney Ken Buck upset former Lt. Gov. Jane Norton. Norton, herself a former lobbyist who tried to run from that background, raised $293,000 from PACs. Buck got only $2,500 in PAC cash.

CONTINUED (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columns/TimothyCarney/The-Republican-divide-K-Street-vs-Tea-Parties-101270244.html#ixzz0xQK1K0dl)

noonwitch
08-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Isn't this just a new way of stating the ongoing conflict in the GOP between fiscal conservatives and social conservatives? It started with the coalition of the two groups to vote for Reagan in 1980, and has continued uncomfortably ever since.

PoliCon
08-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Isn't this just a new way of stating the ongoing conflict in the GOP between fiscal conservatives and social conservatives? It started with the coalition of the two groups to vote for Reagan in 1980, and has continued uncomfortably ever since.

Nope. It's a divide between party insiders (K street) and party outsiders (TEA party).

Constitutionally Speaking
08-23-2010, 08:46 PM

I don't think this is the case here. I would place it as a divide between those who still think big government is good (as long as it is pro-business) and those who really want a smaller government.

hazlnut
08-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Nope. It's a divide between party insiders (K street) and party outsiders (TEA party).

The way-outsiders.

PoliCon
08-25-2010, 10:30 AM
The way-outsiders.

Funny how Satanicus disappears and you reappear at almost the same time.

fettpett
08-26-2010, 01:15 AM

not really, as Poli said it's more GOP Washington insiders vs everyone else. The GOP elitist that have gotten us into this mess in the first place. These are guys like Dole and Steele that think acting like Dems will get them elected, and help them govern.

Unless you're a one topic voter, right now most intelligent people are looking around seeing that the economy is in the shitter and want fiscally responsible people in Washington that will try and fix the mess from the last 4 years.

I can't stand one topic voters because they are too narrow in their voting and get finactical about people. (see Mike128 and his stupid threads about Huckabee and his bashing of Meg Whitman)

Rockntractor
08-26-2010, 01:24 AM

They are from opposite coasts.

PoliCon
08-26-2010, 01:26 AM
They are from opposite coasts.

says who? Hazlnut? :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
08-26-2010, 01:27 AM
says who? Hazlnut? :rolleyes:

They have IP's that can be traced to regional fiber optic hubs.

malloc
08-26-2010, 04:27 AM

Does it matter? I mean Satanicus had just about zero argument value. If this guy is Satanicus's doppelganger then he is destined to make no headway, and end up being proven to be a useless idiot. If Satanicus wasn't smart enough to counter our arguments, than Satanicus's doppelganger will be no smarter. An Avatar doesn't make a difference, reality has a habit of crushing moonbats in their tracks because they don't know what the hell they are talking about, and reality is inescapable on this forum. If this is a Satanicus doppelganger, then this one will be crushed in it's own web of lies and self importance just like Satanicus.

Gingersnap
08-26-2010, 10:00 AM
I think the divide is also just insiders versus outsiders. I don't see social conservatism playing much of a role in the fall elections.

Chuck58
08-26-2010, 04:58 PM
What's going on is exactly what went on after mccain got whipped in 2008.

I remember that right after obama was declared the winner some Repub congressman came on (Fox) and said that the party needs to get back to Republican values and ideals.

I wanted to belt him. It isn't about party. It's about America. We want a difference, not a slightly altered version of the democratic party.

It's like a bumper sticker I saw a while back.

Democrat --- Republican
Same shit, different piles.

As far as the Republican Party, get back to real Conservatism or disappear.

malloc
08-26-2010, 05:21 PM
The way-outsiders.

Look Blarch, I know you won't ever admit it, but you've got to know that the Tea Partiers are mainstream America, right? You know America is a right leaning country by and large right? Have you deluded yourself into thinking otherwise?

Chuck58
08-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Look Blarch, I know you won't ever admit it, but you've got to know that the Tea Partiers are mainstream America, right? You know America is a right leaning country by and large right? Have you deluded yourself into thinking otherwise?

Even the RNC won't admit that TEA partiers are mainstream America. They'd rather bumble along, being a slightly altered mirror of the democrats.

I think they all believed the TEA parties would be gone by now.

lacarnut
08-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Even the RNC won't admit that TEA partiers are mainstream America. They'd rather bumble along, being a slightly altered mirror of the democrats.

I think they all believed the TEA parties would be gone by now.

I got news for the established Repubs/RINOS. The Tea Party and fiscal conservatives elected in Nov. are going to take over the party. The old guard better get on board or they will get voted out in 2012.

Chuck58
08-27-2010, 04:53 PM
I got news for the established Repubs/RINOS. The Tea Party and fiscal conservatives elected in Nov. are going to take over the party. The old guard better get on board or they will get voted out in 2012.

I'm not sure the old guard can get on board. If they could, they'd be seeing the change.

My wife and I proudly consider ourselves TEA party members. We've been to rallies and gatherings in several different cities here in New Mexico. What we meet are people. Nothing special, just people.

Some are comfortably well off, some average income and some scraping by. There are Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians and a lot of Independents. White, Hispanic, Black and at the last event we had a few Indians attending. Mainstream America, or I could say New Mexico except the complaints are the same as you hear from Maine to California.