PDA

View Full Version : Midstate Democrats think tea party will push moderates from Republican Party

PoliCon
08-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Published: Sunday, August 22, 2010, 12:00 AM
DIANA FISHLOCK, The Patriot-News DIANA FISHLOCK, The Patriot-News

Local Democrats say the tea party is helping them because it’s dividing Republicans, and they insist they have plenty of enthusiasm and excitement going into November.

But polls show Democrats are lagging in Pennsylvania’s two marquee races for the fall.

Even Pennsylvania’s most prominent Democrat — Gov. Ed Rendell — cautioned that Democrats could be in trouble.

Republican gubernatorial nominee Tom Corbett leads Democrat Dan Onorato by at least 10 percentage points in the governor’s race, according to two recent polls. And Republican Pat Toomey, a former congressman in the Lehigh Valley, leads U.S. Rep. Joe Sestak, D-Delaware, by nearly as much in the race for the U.S. Senate.

The governor does not dismiss the tea party’s impact. He said the tea party will help bring more Republican voters to the polls in November.

"The tea party obviously I think is relatively small in numbers, but it is very enthusiastic about the election," Rendell said.

"So I think that’s the biggest hurdle for Democrats, and that’s where the tea party helps the Republicans the most, in what I would call the enthusiasm quotient," Rendell said. "They’re going to make sure that that Republican turnout is high."

Unless Democrats can find a way to compel "our base to turn out close to equal to the Republican turnout, which will be inspired by the tea partyites, we’re in trouble," Rendell said.

Democrats are trying hard.

Organizing for America, the grassroots movement that grew out of the Obama for America campaign, is working with Democrats to make sure voters understand how important the fall election is, spokeswoman Kerri Axelrod said.

The Dauphin County Democratic Committee is planning trips to Kipona, Harrisburg’s end-of-summer festival, and the Gratz Fair to kick off a new campaign.

"We are starting a voter registration drive that shows the 10 reasons we’re Democrats," said Marilyn Levin, chairwoman of the Dauphin County Democratic Committee. "If you believe in seven of those 10 reasons, guess what? You’re a Democrat."

The campaign is partly in response to the tea party, Levin said.

"The tea party is driving moderate Republicans and independents away from the Republican Party, and we are going to use this tool to help raise our numbers and make this county truly blue by electing Democrats," she said.

Voters today are much more independent, Levin said.

"They believe what the Democratic Party stands for. They just don’t know it yet," Levin said.

She thinks most moderate Republicans would answer yes to at least seven of those 10 items, which include a belief in: the Second Amendment, freedom from government interference in private lives and an efficient government that practices financial discipline.

CONTINUED (http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/08/midstate_democrats_think_tea_p.html)

noonwitch
08-24-2010, 12:55 PM
My democratic congressman is going to keep his seat (Sander Levin). I don't really see any changes in Michigan's line-up, other than Bart Stupak's seat going GOP, and Kwame's mommy getting knocked off in the primary by another democrat, who will win that district. I doubt that the dems can win the retiring Vern Ehlers' seat in Grand Rapids, but I don't know who any of the candidates are. My mom even likes Ehlers, and she usually hates conservatives. She's sad he's retiring.

Around here, though, the signs are that the stimulus package is working, at least for GM. The saying in Lansing is "What's good for GM is good for Michigan".

Gingersnap
08-24-2010, 01:19 PM
"We are starting a voter registration drive that shows the 10 reasons we’re Democrats," said Marilyn Levin, chairwoman of the Dauphin County Democratic Committee. "If you believe in seven of those 10 reasons, guess what? You’re a Democrat."

Isn't that just like a lefty? It doesn't matter what you personally think, if you meet some arbitrary standard, you're a democrat or "poor" or a victim or whatever.

I went to her website to find that list and it wasn't there. All I could find were joke lists about being a Democrat. I want to see that list.

Democrats are insane if they believe that "moderate" Republicans will turn Democrat. Why? What's the pay off? All the moderate Republicans I know are pissed off because all the so-called moderate Republican candidates are already Democrats, they just aren't listed that way.

lacarnut
08-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Isn't that just like a lefty? It doesn't matter what you personally think, if you meet some arbitrary standard, you're a democrat or "poor" or a victim or whatever.

I went to her website to find that list and it wasn't there. All I could find were joke lists about being a Democrat. I want to see that list.

Democrats are insane if they believe that "moderate" Republicans will turn Democrat. Why? What's the pay off? All the moderate Republicans I know are pissed off because all the so-called moderate Republican candidates are already Democrats, they just aren't listed that way.

As far as I am concerned, most Republicans in Congress are already too moderate for my taste. So, this liberal is just wishing upon a star. Voters have had enough of the Democratic policies of high taxes, socialized meds, take over the car companies and banks with another bailout and cap and tax on the table.
Add high unemployment and you have a disaster waiting to happen for Democrats.

Minority leader of the House, John Boehner, has stirred up a hornet's nest by stating Obama should fire everyone on his economic team. Way to go John. Now, if other weak kneeded Repubs in Congress would get off their ass and tell it like it is, conservatives could blow away the Democrats in November.