PDA

View Full Version : Fat Wednesday!

Gingersnap
08-25-2010, 09:52 AM
We will be back to the 80s after a chilly Tuesday. Some of the leaves are already falling off the Russian olive trees. :(

TOTD: Fat kids. They're everywhere. A friend and I were noticing this a few days ago. Her kids aren't fat (one is kind of scary-skinny) but she didn't do anything in particular to keep them from being fat. She doesn't claim to know how parents should deal with fat kids, either, short of locking the cupboards.

So, how should parents solve this problem? Ridicule was always pretty effective at my house along with dark observations about greed but I'm sure that's out of fashion. If you put a kid on a diet will they just get an eating disorder? How do you persuade a 10 year old to favor salad over Little Debbies? What works? What makes things even worse?

Rockntractor
08-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Encourage them to be sexually active and they will want to stay thin so they can get laid.

PoliCon
08-25-2010, 11:01 AM
TOTD: My sisters kids aren't fat - but 2 of the 4 aren't excatly skinny either - but things are improving. She's done what I've done and worked to eliminate high fructose corn syrup from their diets and has found that the kids crave sugar MUCH less.

linda22003
08-25-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm sorry to hear that "ridicule worked" because I think that's awful to do to a child. I never had weight issues growing up, so I wouldn't necessarily know how to address it. I know we got outside a lot more than kids do now, and we'd go off and ride bikes for hours at a time with no adult supervision.

From what I hear, kids are not allowed to be unsupervised anymore, because supposedly bad guys are everywhere waiting to snatch them. That's what I hear from parents, and I think given the ones I know, they are WAY overestimating the desirability of their children. :rolleyes:

Gingersnap
08-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Encourage them to be sexually active and they will want to stay thin so they can get laid.

Okay, that made me laugh out loud. :p

linda22003
08-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Basically, I think we should wait for Shannon to show up. She's the expert on this topic.

RobJohnson
08-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Today feels like another nice day.

TOTD: Today there are more video games, fast food & junk food and less activity. When I was growing up soda & candy was a treat, not part of every daily meal. But I was still overweight. That did not stop me from planting gardens, riding horses, digging trenches, repairing cars, going on long bike rides, mowing grass, planting trees, changing oil on diesel semi tractors, etc. By the time I was 15 years old I was doing body work and painting cars for neighbors.

Gingersnap
08-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Today feels like another nice day.

TOTD: Today there are more video games, fast food & junk food and less activity. When I was growing up soda & candy was a treat, not part of every daily meal. But I was still overweight. That did not stop me from planting gardens, riding horses, digging trenches, repairing cars, going on long bike rides, mowing grass, planting trees, changing oil on diesel semi tractors, etc. By the time I was 15 years old I was doing body work and painting cars for neighbors.

Did your parents try to do anything about it? :confused:

RobJohnson
08-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Did your parents try to do anything about it? :confused:

I was not a huge kid, but most of the time I was a few pounds overweight. I do remember some kids being huge in grade school, thankfully I was not one of them. :)

We never had a bunch of junk food in the house and we ate right. I was just overweight for whatever reason.

Some people just have a life long battle with weight & I am one of them.

lacarnut
08-25-2010, 01:15 PM
I was skinny as a kid. I stayed outside till it was time for supper playing. Started playing golf when I was 12. Walked a couple miles every day around the golf course rain or shine. I see kids everyday from the Catholic H.S., and none of them are fat. Running is part of their Phs Ed. routine. Exercise is the key not what they eat; I ate a lot of candy and sweets as a kid and still stayed skinny as a rail. Show me a school that has a bunch of fat little fuckers and I will show you a school that does not have P.E.

RobJohnson
08-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Show me a school that has a bunch of fat little fuckers and I will show you a school that does not have P.E.

:D

The Catholic school kids stay skinny running from the Priests!

lacarnut
08-25-2010, 02:00 PM
:D

The Catholic school kids stay skinny running from the Priests!

Naw, it is because there is a Catholic Girls H.S. three blocks away, and the boys are busy chasing them.

Articulate_Ape
08-25-2010, 02:50 PM
So, how should parents solve this problem?

Repeal all child labor laws? :)

Shannon
08-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Tristan is tall and skinny. I won't ever have to worry about him getting fat. But if it ever was an issue the answer is simple. The parents are in charge of buying and preparing the food. I mean, does no one know how to parent anymore? I'm always stunned and disgusted by the amount of porkers I see at Tristan's school. I just assume their parents are fat or lazy or both. Ugh.

Rockntractor
08-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Tristan is tall and skinny. I won't ever have to worry about him getting fat. Ugh.
He is probably having sex.

Shannon
08-25-2010, 10:52 PM

Sex makes you taller? That explains Poli.

patriot45
08-25-2010, 10:52 PM

I have big bones! :D

I remember going school clothes shopping way back when and had to go to the husky section in Billy Blakes dept store!! :D

RobJohnson
08-25-2010, 10:53 PM

That's just wrong.

PoliCon
08-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Sex makes you taller? That explains Poli.

:eek: :mad:

lol :p