PDA

View Full Version : Black & Decker Internet-Connected Gardening Tools

bijou
08-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Gardening's a bit boring, what with the serious lack of gadgetry involved—an oversight Black & Decker wants to solve with its PlantSense(TM) EasyBloom(TM) range of sensor things(TM). Sensors for plants, something like that.

The new line of Black & Decker branded gardening tools will be internet connected, allowing the licensed PlantSense EasyBloom technology to ping you with status alerts about the ideal place to grow stuff. You stick the sensor in the ground, leave it for 24 hours, then read the results. On a computer! ...http://gizmodo.com/5620609/gardening-gets-much-needed-geek-tech-injection

I'd be all for this if I could do the weeding online.

Gingersnap
08-25-2010, 01:38 PM
I was prepared to scoff at this but after reading the article, I can see that I need these desperately. :o

Generally, I plant something and its death or prolonged collapse gives me hints about light intensity. It would actually be pretty cool to map my yard with these things instead of just randomly killing sacrificial victims like I do now.

m00
08-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Well, we're one step closer to skynet.

Gingersnap
08-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Well, we're one step closer to skynet.

Yeah - The Rise of the Annuals. Frankly, I do have some giant sunflowers that are fairly threatening.

PoliCon
08-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Yeah - The Rise of the Annuals. Frankly, I do have some giant sunflowers that are fairly threatening.

My neighbor had one with a head as big around as a garbage can lid! He had to build a frame to prop the damn thing up when it went to seed.:rolleyes:

Gingersnap
08-25-2010, 09:28 PM
My neighbor had one with a head as big around as a garbage can lid! He had to build a frame to prop the damn thing up when it went to seed.:rolleyes:

These have seed heads about as big as a large dinner plate. They're about 10 ft. tall now. I grow the bog ones for the birds. I grow the smaller, cooler, branched-types for myself.