PDA

View Full Version : My Cat....

Hawkgirl
08-26-2010, 12:53 PM
...has fleas! I never experienced this with my cats before. I gave her a long bath and soaked her to kill all the fleas....(not a great experience, but lots of fleas were killed) quarantined her in the guest bathroom. Will have to do heavy vacuuming tomorrow and floor cleaning.

Have already started washing all the bedding. Sprayed some pest spray all over the house. Fleas got into my bedding and I have bite marks on my ankles. :eek:

I'm FREAKING OUT.

Had to shake off a few that landed on my 14 month old daughter....I'M FREAKING OUT!

Anyone have any other suggestions??? Should I just call professionals??

noonwitch
08-26-2010, 01:01 PM
My dog got them a couple of years ago, and I gave her baths every two weeks, sprayed the house, and everything, still, she had them. Now, I'm all about prevention, so I give her a flea bath every two weeks, before she can get them, and I put a flea collar on her when we go up north. It takes a couple of days for the flea shampoo to kill all of the bugs on the pet.

What finally got them out of my house was having the carpet and couch steam-cleaned. Probably using a flea bomb spray (the kind you have to evacuate all living creatures from the house for a couple of hours to use), then following up with the steam cleaning should get rid of them.

PoliCon
08-26-2010, 01:03 PM
...has fleas! I never experienced this with my cats before. I gave her a long bath and soaked her to kill all the fleas....(not a great experience, but lots of fleas were killed) quarantined her in the guest bathroom. Will have to do heavy vacuuming tomorrow and floor cleaning.

Have already started washing all the bedding. Sprayed some pest spray all over the house. Fleas got into my bedding and I have bite marks on my ankles. :eek:

I'm FREAKING OUT.

Had to shake off a few that landed on my 14 month old daughter....I'M FREAKING OUT!

Anyone have any other suggestions??? Should I just call professionals??Give the cat to the local Chinese restaurant and flea bomb the place.

Gingersnap
08-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Dose the cat with a flea killer like Frontline. I don't like those products but you will never get rid of the fleas until you do it. Buy some borax - buy a lot. Sprinkle borax everywhere and then vacuum. Dump the vacuum debris in a plastic bag that you can seal. Then do that again about 5 times. Then do it again every single day for about a month to give the baby fleas a chance to get eliminated.

I feel for you. :(

Hawkgirl
08-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Will buy Frontline tomorrow, they do sell them at Petsmart, I hope?

Where do I buy BORAX?

Where do I get a flea bomb?

Planning to give my cat a bath every day...poor thing. I read soapy water works best. I'm going to get rid of my carpeting soon and put down wood floors(carpeting in the bedroom)...but not planning to do so till the winter.

djones520
08-26-2010, 01:14 PM
If your worried they've spread to the carpet, something we used to do when we lived in Louisiana was put a bowl of water on the carpet. Don't ask me why, but it worked. They were drawn to it, and once in they couldn't get out.

Flee's are something I haven't had to deal with in ages though. Living in the northern climes for so long it's just something we never had to think about.

Hawkgirl
08-26-2010, 01:16 PM
If your worried they've spread to the carpet, something we used to do when we lived in Louisiana was put a bowl of water on the carpet. Don't ask me why, but it worked. They were drawn to it, and once in they couldn't get out.

Flee's are something I haven't had to deal with in ages though. Living in the northern climes for so long it's just something we never had to think about.

I've lived in Florida for 10 years, and this is the first time I've dealt with it...I wonder if I should take the cat to the vet to make sure he's not anemic?

lacarnut
08-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Dose the cat with a flea killer like Frontline. I don't like those products but you will never get rid of the fleas until you do it. Buy some borax - buy a lot. Sprinkle borax everywhere and then vacuum. Dump the vacuum debris in a plastic bag that you can seal. Then do that again about 5 times. Then do it again every single day for about a month to give the baby fleas a chance to get eliminated.

I feel for you. :(

Killing the fleas on the cat and on the floor is only half the battle. The baby fleas hatch out a week or two after you have killed the adults. Don't think for one minute you have gotten rid of all of them for the first week or two of treatment. Follow Gingers advise to a T.

I had to get a professional exterminator after they had gotten into the walls on a rental house.

Gingersnap
08-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Will buy Frontline tomorrow, they do sell them at Petsmart, I hope?

Where do I buy BORAX?

Where do I get a flea bomb?

Planning to give my cat a bath every day...poor thing. I read soapy water works best. I'm going to get rid of my carpeting soon and put down wood floors(carpeting in the bedroom)...but not planning to do so till the winter.

Get Frontline at Petsmart and borax at Wal-Mart or any big grocery store - it will be in the laundry detergent aisle. Don't bathe your cat over and over. The Frontline will kill everything on him within a few days. Just banish him to the laundry room or something until you can get the house under control (take him out of the house with you if you use a flea bomb).

You need to just do everything and you need to keep doing it for a month.

lacarnut
08-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Get Frontline at Petsmart and borax at Wal-Mart or any big grocery store - it will be in the laundry detergent aisle. Don't bathe your cat over and over. The Frontline will kill everything on him within a few days. Just banish him to the laundry room or something until you can get the house under control (take him out of the house with you if you use a flea bomb).

You need to just do everything and you need to keep doing it for a month.

If that does not work after a couple of weeks, put the cat in a boarding kennel and call an exterminator.

linda22003
08-26-2010, 02:44 PM
It's shocking that someone on a conservative board would not have heard of Borax! :)

http://www.polywellnuclearfusion.com/Clean_Nuclear_Fusion/Boron_Supply_files/Reagan%20Borax.jpg

Gingersnap
08-26-2010, 02:52 PM
It's shocking that someone on a conservative board would not have heard of Borax! :)

http://www.polywellnuclearfusion.com/Clean_Nuclear_Fusion/Boron_Supply_files/Reagan%20Borax.jpg

LOL! I don't think a lot of people use it in the laundry anymore (I do). The killer in borax is just boric acid (not a real corrosive acid). It sucks all the moisture right out of bugs and kills them dead. :)

linda22003
08-26-2010, 02:54 PM
I knew Borax was still around, but I didn't realize they still use the "20 Mule Team" sobriquet.

http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/

Bailey
08-26-2010, 02:57 PM
I hope your Ketteh is alright :(

I had a cat that had fleas, I had to give him a bath and I am thankful he had been declawed. He didn't fight me on purpose but he tried mightily to get out of the tub and I found out how much damage a cat can do with his back claws lol.

I got flea powder and blanketed the carpets. I got frontline and that seemed to clear it up.

Bailey
08-26-2010, 02:57 PM

There you go dating yourself once again. ;)

malloc
08-26-2010, 03:04 PM

I use borax to clean brass before reloading. I knew it killed bugs, but I've never used it for that purpose.

Hawkgirl
08-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions...I will be looking for these products and hunkering down this weekend.

I'm a bit OCD...so I am not handling this situation well...my kitty has been confined to the bathroom for now.

I still may use Terminix after the deep clean this weekend....just to make sure.

BadCat
08-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions...I will be looking for these products and hunkering down this weekend.

I'm a bit OCD...so I am not handling this situation well...my kitty has been confined to the bathroom for now.

I still may use Terminix after the deep clean this weekend....just to make sure.

Frontline on the cat, get some flea bombs from your vet.

Hawkgirl
08-26-2010, 05:12 PM
A coworker just told me to get mothball crystals or smash up some mothballs....scatter them around the house, go to work, come home, vaccum everything up and problem solved. I can put the cat in the garage.

Anyone hear of this?

BadCat
08-26-2010, 05:42 PM
A coworker just told me to get mothball crystals or smash up some mothballs....scatter them around the house, go to work, come home, vaccum everything up and problem solved. I can put the cat in the garage.

Anyone hear of this?

No, but doing your carpet with a hot saline solution will kill them and their eggs.
There are some carpet cleaners that offer that service.

malloc
08-26-2010, 05:48 PM
smash up some mothballs....

How are you going to get 'em to lay down with their legs open while you do this?!?!? :eek:

BadCat
08-26-2010, 05:50 PM
How are you going to get 'em to lay down with their legs open while you do this?!?!? :eek:

She's a hot chick...no problem for her.

malloc
08-26-2010, 05:52 PM
She's a hot chick...no problem for her.

Ah, I see. Not even the moths can resist the feminine wiles, they will be drawn like, well you know, to a flame.

Gingersnap
08-26-2010, 07:06 PM

Anyone hear of this?

I'm sure your co-worker is a very nice person but this will not work. First of all, the ingredient in mothballs that repels (not kills) moths is toxic to people. A couple of mothballs in Granny's trunk won't hurt you but grinding them up and inhaling the particles will. It would also be unfortunate if your kid decided to eat any or rubbed the stuff around his/her eyes or nose. Also, it will just make the fleas hide, it won't kill them.

Borax is very safe and has a low toxicity level for mammals (more or less). I wouldn't eat it or anything but it is designed to be easily soluble in plain water so it's easy to wash off and safe to go down the drain. It has the added advantage of actually killing the fleas.

Otherwise use the flea bombs. You will have to leave the house (with your pets) and you will have to repeat it several times but it's much safer than mothball-grinding. Please trust me on this. I play around with stuff all the time that would give a haz-mat team a collective heart attack. If ground up mothballs dusted all over your house scares me, it should scare you.

Hawkgirl
08-26-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm sure your co-worker is a very nice person but this will not work. First of all, the ingredient in mothballs that repels (not kills) moths is toxic to people. A couple of mothballs in Granny's trunk won't hurt you but grinding them up and inhaling the particles will. It would also be unfortunate if your kid decided to eat any or rubbed the stuff around his/her eyes or nose. Also, it will just make the fleas hide, it won't kill them.

Borax is very safe and has a low toxicity level for mammals (more or less). I wouldn't eat it or anything but it is designed to be easily soluble in plain water so it's easy to wash off and safe to go down the drain. It has the added advantage of actually killing the fleas.

Otherwise use the flea bombs. You will have to leave the house (with your pets) and you will have to repeat it several times but it's much safer than mothball-grinding. Please trust me on this. I play around with stuff all the time that would give a haz-mat team a collective heart attack. If ground up mothballs dusted all over your house scares me, it should scare you.

My coworker is a nice person..but he is off the wall, at times. I did a quick search online...and it does say mothballs kill fleas...but the suggestion is to put a few in a vaccuum bag as a vaccuum...throwing them all over the house does seem odd to me.

Borax will be the way to go.

Gingersnap
08-26-2010, 08:23 PM
My coworker is a nice person..but he is off the wall, at times. I did a quick search online...and it does say mothballs kill fleas...but the suggestion is to put a few in a vaccuum bag as a vaccuum...throwing them all over the house does seem odd to me.

Borax will be the way to go.

The vacuum bag idea might kill some since it's in a small space but it wouldn't kill them in the open.

On a related note: people still have vacuums with bags? :confused:

namvet
08-26-2010, 09:57 PM
only flea bag i ever had was my cousin. took of his shoes and socks in my apt.

Hawkgirl
08-26-2010, 10:25 PM
On a related note: people still have vacuums with bags? :confused:

I don't...I figure putting it in the cylinder would be the same idea...but might screw up the motor...so I'll pass on that too...

Gingersnap
08-26-2010, 10:39 PM
I don't...I figure putting it in the cylinder would be the same idea...but might screw up the motor...so I'll pass on that too...

Smart girl. :D

PoliCon
08-26-2010, 11:16 PM
On a related note: people still have vacuums with bags? :confused:Those bagless numbers are disgusting.

Gingersnap
08-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Those bagless numbers are disgusting.

What? You're kidding, right? :confused:

PoliCon
08-26-2010, 11:21 PM
What? You're kidding, right? :confused:

I like my bagged sweeper with heppa filter and allergen bag.

Gingersnap
08-26-2010, 11:28 PM
I like my bagged sweeper with heppa filter and allergen bag.

I can see we need a new thread and a poll.

PoliCon
08-26-2010, 11:39 PM
I can see we need a new thread and a poll.

Washing out those bagless numbers is retched.

MountainMan
08-27-2010, 12:11 AM

I'm FREAKING OUT.

Anyone have any other suggestions??? Should I just call professionals??

Call 1-800-Gingersnap :D

Hawkgirl
08-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Buying bags is a pain in the ass...but I have to say, I do prefer them...much easier clean up.

When this vacuum goes...I may go back to the old fashioned way.

PoliCon
08-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Buying bags is a pain in the ass...but I have to say, I do prefer them...much easier clean up.

When this vacuum goes...I may go back to the old fashioned way.

Swiffers? :D

Hawkgirl
08-27-2010, 12:30 AM
BTW...this is Leo....when I came home, I found the roll of toilet paper on the floor (no surprise, I should have remembered to remove it). He smells nice, like Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo mixed with Dawn dishwashing soap...I noticed no fleas..but since he wasn't wet, it was hard to see...they may still be buried in his fur.

Tomorrow I'll be out early for the Borax...I hope my grocery store(Publix) sells it.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2jal21k.jpg

RobJohnson
08-27-2010, 12:39 AM
Washing out those bagless numbers is retched.

I agree & you still need filters for most bagless jobs....

PoliCon
08-27-2010, 12:39 AM
BTW...this is Leo....when I came home, I found the roll of toilet paper on the floor (no surprise, I should have remembered to remove it). He smells nice, like Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo mixed with Dawn dishwashing soap...I noticed no fleas..but since he wasn't wet, it was hard to see...they may still be buried in his fur.

Tomorrow I'll be out early for the Borax...I hope my grocery store(Publix) sells it.

If not in the soap aisle - check and see if they have boric acid in the "bug" section.

RobJohnson
08-27-2010, 12:43 AM

Cute cat. Sorry to hear about the fleas. The only time any of our family pets had fleas was during a visit to FL. It was many years ago when I was a kid & my mother's chocolate toy poodle was full of them. We used the flea shampoo as we were no longer staying where we think she found the little bugs.....problem solved.