PDA

View Full Version : Son returns home from deployment

gator
08-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Bush was not there to greet him but here is a picture of my son as he went through the greeting line at Bangor Maine last week.

His combat brigade was the second to the last to leave Iraq last week.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs134.ash2/40021_1592645382258_1419616402_31595804_2274059_n. jpg

His duty in the army is over now. He had his Cav Scout OSUT. He had his little garrison duty for a year in Korea. He had his training for combat. He had his combat tour. Time for the Sergeant to hang up his stripes and get back to a normal life.

His mother can sleep normally now.

Rockntractor
08-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Good to hear it Gator, time to throw a party.

patriot45
08-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Great for you Gator! A good friend just went to N. Carolina to see her son just return home too. Happy for both of you!

marinejcksn
08-26-2010, 11:01 PM
OORAH GATOR! Welcome home to your son!

I went through Maine....the crowd when I got off the plane was incredible and I hope your son got the same experience. Tell him I said welcome home brother! :cool:

Gingersnap
08-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Say, "Welcome Home" for us. :D

FlaGator
08-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Glad to see he made it home!!! God bless him and your family.

lacarnut
08-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Great news for you and your wife. Welcome home from all of us at CU

PoliCon
08-26-2010, 11:50 PM
Welcome home from all of us at CU To your son, and to all the men and women who have come home. Thank you as well.

Hawkgirl
08-27-2010, 12:34 AM
Wonderful...welcome home and please thank him for his service.

RobJohnson
08-27-2010, 01:11 AM
I'm so glad to see that he is back home. May God richly Bless him for his service.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s117/rebeccamanders/Simple%20Comments/MJZ2574.gif

Sonnabend
08-27-2010, 04:47 AM
Good to see him home, Gator. You must be very proud.

malloc
08-27-2010, 05:15 AM
For your family, gator: I've got to say, thank God he's home, and peace be with you.

To your son, I'd like to say: Semper Fi, and I hope you had good hunting.

Constitutionally Speaking
08-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Great news Gator! Please thank him for us.

Phillygirl
08-27-2010, 07:41 AM
So glad he's home. Please thank him for me. He's done all of you proud. I'm sure your wife finally got a good night sleep last night.

SaintLouieWoman
08-27-2010, 08:02 AM
So happy for you, your wife and your son. Thank him for us for his service and so glad he made it home safely. Will he be living in Florida?

obx
08-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Congratulations, and please thank him for me.
________
Toyota motor manufacturing canada specifications (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Motor_Manufacturing_Canada)

Kay
08-27-2010, 08:40 AM
He sure is a good looking man, and I'm so happy for you and your family to have him
back home safely. What a blessing. And our country is so blessed to have men like him.
I wish him the best of luck in his transition back into civilian life.

Rebel Yell
08-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Congrats. Thank him for us.

Molon Labe
08-27-2010, 08:48 AM
Congratulations on a safe return...and good to see you around.

noonwitch
08-27-2010, 08:48 AM
I'm glad he's home and safe.

I'll bet he is ready for a whole lot of home cooking.

gator
08-27-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm glad he's home and safe.

I'll bet he is ready for a whole lot of home cooking.

He has to spend a couple of more months in the Army even though he is stop loss because they want to make sure he will be OK to transition. His wife will make sure he gets all the home cooking he wants. He is coming to visit us as soon as they will allow him to have leave.

Obama is coming to Ft Bliss this weekend to claim some kind of credit for the success in Iraq.

Greg says all the troops are really pissed at Obama and absolutely nobody wants to go to the formation to listen to the moron speak. Fortunately Greg was able to call in a few favors and will get out of having to go.

Rebel Yell
08-27-2010, 09:25 AM
His wife will make sure he gets all the home cooking he wants.

Yeah, but it's still not Mama's home cooking.

hampshirebrit
08-27-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm glad he made it back safe. Congratulations to him and your family.

It's good to see you back on CU again.

FlaGator
08-27-2010, 10:06 AM
He has to spend a couple of more months in the Army even though he is stop loss because they want to make sure he will be OK to transition. His wife will make sure he gets all the home cooking he wants. He is coming to visit us as soon as they will allow him to have leave.

Obama is coming to Ft Bliss this weekend to claim some kind of credit for the success in Iraq.

Greg says all the troops are really pissed at Obama and absolutely nobody wants to go to the formation to listen to the moron speak. Fortunately Greg was able to call in a few favors and will get out of having to go.

My future son in-law just is a cav scout 3rd Infantry (I believe) and just deployed to Iraq. He is suppose to be there for a year and his mom is terrified of something happening to him. Knowing that your boy made it back safe and sound is comforting to both Mary and myself. We thank your son for his sacrfice in putting his life on the line to serve his country and for the sacrifice that you and Mrs Gator made in raising such a good and honorable son and then giving that son to America to serve and protect us...

gator
08-27-2010, 10:18 AM
My future son in-law just is a cav scout 3rd Infantry (I believe) and just deployed to Iraq. He is suppose to be there for a year and his mom is terrified of something happening to him. Knowing that your boy made it back safe and sound is comforting to both Mary and myself. We thank your son for his sacrfice in putting his life on the line to serve his country and for the sacrifice that you and Mrs Gator made in raising such a good and honorable son and then giving that son to America to serve and protect us...

He was mostly bored in Iraq as they were mostly training Iraqis. He did go on daily missions and there were only the occasional contact with the enemy.

He lucked out one night. He was embedded with the Iraq military and there was a mortar attack. He had got up during the night to check on the guards and while he was away from his bed the attack happen. His bed was destroyed with the first salvo of mortars so he may have been hit had he still been in bed.

On Fatherís Day he called and was shook up in his voice. The night before his vehicle ran over an IED. Fortunately only the detonator went off. The two artillery shells were not ignited or else it would have destroyed his vehicle. Thank God for Hajji incompetence.

On December the 28th he was involved in a significant attack of his scout group. The head scout was wounded in the first few seconds of the attack and Greg, who was a Corporal at the time, took charge, helped to rescue a fellow scout and organized and led the counter attacked. He was awarded a Silver Star for his action.

We are just glad to have him home.

Your future son in law will be fine. Cav Scouts are well trained and are good at doing their job. I just hope things do not go to hell in a hand basket in Iraq now that most of the combat troops are withdrawn.

gator
08-27-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm glad he made it back safe. Congratulations to him and your family.

It's good to see you back on CU again.

I'm not back on CU except for this thread but thanks for the congratulations.

Sonnabend
08-27-2010, 10:23 AM
. I just hope things do not go to hell in a hand basket in Iraq now that most of the combat troops are withdrawn.

Their future now is in their hands...we can only hope and pray that they have the spirit to make it work. Their land, their future, their destiny.

Only so much we can do...the rest is up to them.

Molon Labe
08-27-2010, 10:59 AM

That's too bad. We could use a little "moral clarity" more often.

gator
08-27-2010, 11:16 AM
That's too bad. We could use a little "moral clarity" more often.

You all start crying when you get lessons in real conservatism. However, this thread is not about that subject.

Rebel Yell
08-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Oh, what the hell? Come on back.

Starbuck
08-27-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm happy he's back. I'm happy they're all back.

aerojarod
08-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Glad he's back safe and sound!

My little sister is leaving for her second tour in the sandbox next month. This time with her Air Ambulance unit rather than keeping her boots on the ground, inside a medical compound. Makes me a bit more nervous for her.

JB
08-27-2010, 12:50 PM
It seems like just yesterday you created the thread about him going in. Although I'm sure the time didn't pass quite as quickly for you.

Glad he's home safe.

ralph wiggum
08-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Glad to hear he's back safely, Gator.

gator
08-27-2010, 03:35 PM
It seems like just yesterday you created the thread about him going in. Although I'm sure the time didn't pass quite as quickly for you.

Glad he's home safe.

Thanks

The time has actually gone by very fast. We visited him at graduation from Cav Scout OSUT and also saw him off from Ft Bliss when he deployed.

I had a chance to go to Iraq and be over there the same time as he was. This environmental consulting firm that I work part time for has a contract to clean up battle damage in Iraq. They were looking for a Project Director and I could have been over there the same time as my son. It was very tempting. I thought it would be cool to be over there the same time as my son. I was offered the position but decided to turn it down. The reason was taxes. They only give a $90K tax deduction. I could have made a half mil for the year and would have paid income taxes on $410 plus my regular retirement income. It would have been a couple of hundred thousand in taxes and I wasnít about to work my tail off in a shithole like that and give a truckload of money to the government.

jendf
08-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Great news! Glad he's back safe and sound. :)

BadCat
08-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Congratulations, my friend.

You raised a fine son, you and the Mrs. must be very proud.

Please extend my thanks to your son for his service to our country.

gator
08-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Here are a couple of other pictures.

Here he is the day he received his CAB:

http://images2b.photo.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp53386%3Enu%3D325%3A%3E2%3B5%3E2%3A9% 3EWSNRCG%3D3398%3C6%3C%3A%3B7328nu0mrj

Here he is with his pimped out M-4:

http://images2b.photo.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp53379%3Enu%3D325%3A%3E2%3B5%3E2%3A9% 3EWSNRCG%3D348399%3A28%3B328nu0mrj

Phillygirl
08-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Such a handsome son. His mother did well with him! :D

SarasotaRepub
08-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks

The time has actually gone by very fast. We visited him at graduation from Cav Scout OSUT and also saw him off from Ft Bliss when he deployed.

I had a chance to go to Iraq and be over there the same time as he was. This environmental consulting firm that I work part time for has a contract to clean up battle damage in Iraq. They were looking for a Project Director and I could have been over there the same time as my son. It was very tempting. I thought it would be cool to be over there the same time as my son. I was offered the position but decided to turn it down. The reason was taxes. They only give a $90K tax deduction. I could have made a half mil for the year and would have paid income taxes on $410 plus my regular retirement income. It would have been a couple of hundred thousand in taxes and I wasnít about to work my tail off in a shithole like that and give a truckload of money to the government.

Congrats gator, I'm sure you and Mrs gator are glad to have your son back home safe and sound. :)

I was offered the position but decided to turn it down. The reason was taxes.

Oh bullshit, Mrs. Gator would have kicked your ass across the swamp if you had said yes. :p

LibraryLady
08-27-2010, 09:19 PM
I am glad he is home and safe.

(I'm not back either, just reading occasionally)

Our Chaplain's son is leaving for Afghanistan next month. We are in shock; he is a trumpet player in the Army band.

Kay
08-27-2010, 09:22 PM
He was awarded a Silver Star for his action.

They don't just give those away, that's outstanding.

hampshirebrit
08-27-2010, 10:21 PM

It's great to see you here, nevertheless. Hope you're well.

SaintLouieWoman
08-27-2010, 10:37 PM
It's great to see you here, nevertheless. Hope you're well.

Library Lady, Hamp is speaking for all of us. Drop me a line sometimes so we can catch up. So good to see you here. :)

lacarnut
08-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Library Lady, Drop me a line sometimes . So good to see you here. :)

Same here.

Bubba Dawg
08-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Glad he's home Gator.

Thanks for his service. :)

gator
08-28-2010, 09:54 PM

Our Chaplain's son is leaving for Afghanistan next month. We are in shock; he is a trumpet player in the Army band.

If you were to come back then maybe I would consider spreading a little more moral clarity from time to time.

You, CS, Hamp, Phillygirl and Rebel Yell are the only ones that really understand moral clarity. Maybe Bridget ( Lanie) but she is so dinky dau that you can never be sure.

PoliCon
08-28-2010, 10:35 PM

Wish you were back. :)

Odysseus
09-13-2010, 10:19 PM
I know that I'm the last person that you want to hear this from, but congratulations. I'm glad that he's back, safe and sound.