PDA

View Full Version : Major Garrett leaves Fox News TV for National Journal print

Apocalypse
08-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Kinda Political news considering.

Major Garrett leaves Fox News TV for National Journal print

Just when he has a chance to assume a front-row seat in the White House briefing room, Major Garrett is leaving Fox News and returning to print journalism.

Garrett, who has been widely recognized as a straight-arrow reporter caught in the crossfire between President Obama's top aides and the network of Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck, is joining National Journal as a congressional correspondent.

The hostility between the administration and Fox "never wore me down," Garrett said Wednesday, but "of course it made my job more difficult. . . . I'd be a liar if I said otherwise." But, he added, "I was a conscientious objector in that war. I never fought it."

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Garrett lived up to Fox's fair-and-balanced motto: "I have always thought Major was one of the smartest people in the briefing room. He's tough, and I'd say the slogan actually did fit him."

The main reason for his departure, the Fox White House correspondent said, is the frenetic pace of cable news: "I want to talk less and I want to think more. I always considered myself an accidental TV reporter."

When he told Roger Ailes he was leaving, Garrett said, the Fox News chairman replied: "You're one of the few guys who never got addicted to TV."

Michael Clemente, a Fox senior vice president, said that "Major's a first-class reporter. He's got a naturally inquisitive mind, and returning to print will allow him to do what he knows and loves best."

Fox is moving Pentagon reporter Mike Emanuel back to the White House, where he will join Wendell Goler in sharing the front-row seat that the network was recently awarded after Helen Thomas resigned under fire for her comments about Israel.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/25/AR2010082504484.html

PoliCon
08-26-2010, 11:44 PM
I have nothing but respect for Garrett. I wish him well.

SaintLouieWoman
08-27-2010, 09:14 AM
I have nothing but respect for Garrett. I wish him well.

Ditto. And I admire him for the courage to do what he thinks is right and not be obsessed with power.

Speedy
08-27-2010, 10:19 AM
The classiest act since the late Tony Snow.

NJCardFan
08-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Garrett, who has been widely recognized as a straight-arrow reporter caught in the crossfire between President Obama's top aides and the network of Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck, is joining National Journal as a congressional correspondent.:rolleyes:

As opposed to Keith Olbermann, Rachael Maddow, Joy Bahar, and Anderson Cooper, huh?

hoplophobe
08-27-2010, 01:23 PM
:rolleyes:

As opposed to Keith Olbermann, Rachael Maddow, Joy Bahar, and Anderson Cooper, huh?
Those guys were all speaking "troof to power" while the guys on Fox are kooks. :rolleyes:

Odysseus
08-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Do you think that having to sit up front and deal with the Obama staffers might have made leaving more attractive? Trying to get factual information out of Beltway Bob Gibbs and keeping a straight face has got to be tough.