PDA

View Full Version : Massive solar storm to hit Earth in 2012 with 'force of 100m bombs'

Gingersnap
08-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Massive solar storm to hit Earth in 2012 with 'force of 100m bombs'

Thu, Aug 26 12:50 PM
Melbourne, Aug 26 (ANI): Astronomers are predicting that a massive solar storm, much bigger in potential than the one that caused spectacular light shows on Earth earlier this month, is to strike our planet in 2012 with a force of 100 million hydrogen bombs.

Several US media outlets have reported that NASA was warning the massive flare this month was just a precursor to a massive solar storm building that had the potential to wipe out the entire planet's power grid.

Despite its rebuttal, NASA's been watching out for this storm since 2006 and reports from the US this week claim the storms could hit on that most Hollywood of disaster dates - 2012.

Similar storms back in 1859 and 1921 caused worldwide chaos, wiping out telegraph wires on a massive scale. The 2012 storm has the potential to be even more disruptive.

"The general consensus among general astronomers (and certainly solar astronomers) is that this coming Solar maximum (2012 but possibly later into 2013) will be the most violent in 100 years," News.com.au quoted astronomy lecturer and columnist Dave Reneke as saying.

"A bold statement and one taken seriously by those it will affect most, namely airline companies, communications companies and anyone working with modern GPS systems.

"They can even trip circuit breakers and knock out orbiting satellites, as has already been done this year," added Reneke.

No one really knows what effect the 2012-2013 Solar Max will have on today's digital-reliant society.

Dr Richard Fisher, director of NASA's Heliophysics division, told Reneke the super storm would hit like "a bolt of lightning", causing catastrophic consequences for the world's health, emergency services and national security unless precautions are taken.

NASA said that a recent report by the National Academy of Sciences found that if a similar storm occurred today, it could cause "1 to 2 trillion dollars in damages to society's high-tech infrastructure and require four to 10 years for complete recovery".

Unlike most media hype, there could be something to this one.

Yahoo (http://in.news.yahoo.com/139/20100826/981/tsc-massive-solar-storm-to-hit-earth-in_1.html)

SarasotaRepub
08-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Unlike most media hype, there could be something to this one.

Yahoo (http://in.news.yahoo.com/139/20100826/981/tsc-massive-solar-storm-to-hit-earth-in_1.html)

Yeah I saw this and you're right, it could be bad. IF it happens.

Elspeth
08-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Yeah I saw this and you're right, it could be bad. IF it happens.

Damned Mayans and their calendar.:mad:

m00
08-31-2010, 12:39 AM
Now *there* is some global warming for ya. Guess liberals were right, eh?

warpig
08-31-2010, 07:54 AM
Now *there* is some global warming for ya. Guess liberals were right, eh?

No, no........It ain't man made............:rolleyes:

asdf2231
08-31-2010, 06:28 PM
AWRIGHT!

I'm already welding spikes onto my 4x4 and getting ready to party!

Rockntractor
08-31-2010, 06:39 PM
And they laughed when I got that truck load of heavy duty aluminum foil!:cool:

Gingersnap
08-31-2010, 07:24 PM
And they laughed when I got that truck load of heavy duty aluminum foil!:cool:

You're going to need something more substantial than Reynold's Wrap to harden your electronic homestead. Luckily, goats are impervious to EMP effects.

This actually could be something with for-real implications. It's not keeping me up at night (yet) but I'm giving some serious thought as to how we would deal with any effects at work. We have a huge server farm and we run a lot of telemetry. :(

asdf2231
09-01-2010, 08:32 AM
You're going to need something more substantial than Reynold's Wrap to harden your electronic homestead. Luckily, goats are impervious to EMP effects.

This actually could be something with for-real implications. It's not keeping me up at night (yet) but I'm giving some serious thought as to how we would deal with any effects at work. We have a huge server farm and we run a lot of telemetry. :(

Round up vegan libs and put them in giant hamster wheels attached to battery banks. It's not only fun it's green!!

Gingersnap
09-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Round up vegan libs and put them in giant hamster wheels attached to battery banks. It's not only fun it's green!!

I'm not feeding any vegans. If you feed them, you just get more of them.

hampshirebrit
09-12-2010, 12:39 PM
bumping shamelessly ...

I've been wanting to post on this for a while but I've been Busy in Belgium for the same while.

I've been aware of this story for some time, that there is serious concern about the possibility of the prediction being realised.

At worst, it would be devastating to our way of life, and change it beyond recognition. There would be substantial die-off of many species, particularly our own.

The energy crisis would be solved in a day. We would have very few joined up systems left up and running still requiring energy inputs, and we would have no means of bringing energy up to the surface, refining it or shipping it in order to keep these survivor systems running.

In an extreme solar event, we could well be pushed to the brink of, or potentially even fully into a pre-electronic, pre-digital age. We are totally dependent on a set of highly interdependent infrastructure systems that are very, very vulnerable to threats of this kind. I daresay none of us would find life particularly pleasant after such an event.

Well I bloody well wouldn't. :D. I've become far too fond of my creature comforts to be happy about giving up all the good stuff. I'm particularly fond of eating, being able to go and buy/catch/cook what I eat, being able to flush after pooping it out, being able to drive fast cars, having both central heating and central air, and friends round for dinner.

I'm really hoping that there is not going to be an event of this magnitude in 2012, or indeed at any time in the future. It sounds like it could suck immensely.