PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Thread: Football Is Coming. w00t!!!

Bubba Dawg
08-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Warm and muggy on the Mountain. We may get a thundershowerthis afternoon. We could use it.

Typical for summer.

College and NFL football starts in a few days.

I can't wait. I love this time of year.

TOTD: Do you like football? Is so, do you like college or NFL. What teams do you like.?

I'm a Georgia Bulldogs fan and an Atlanta Falcon fan. I also like and pull for most of the SEC and ACC teams.

In the NFL I like the Eagles in addition to the Falcons, but the Falcons are my team.

PoliCon
08-29-2010, 09:35 AM
TOTD: Do you like football? Is so, do you like college or NFL. What teams do you like.?

Are you serious?? :rolleyes: There are only two teams worth note - up from one team in years prior - The Steelers and this year - the Bronco's and that's only because of Tebow. :D

hampshirebrit
08-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Eh?

It's finished, mate. The FIFA World Cup was back in July. We didn't do very well. :mad:

Oh, you mean THAT "football". OK, sorry. :o My bad.

PoliCon
08-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Eh?

It's finished, mate. The FIFA World Cup was back in July. We didn't do very well. :mad:

Oh, you mean THAT "football". OK, sorry. :o My bad.
No one is talking about SOCCER you silly toff. :p

hampshirebrit
08-29-2010, 09:56 AM
No one is talking about SOCCER you silly toff. :p

Hah. "Soccer" is what ignorant Americans such as yourself call Football, our Football, the proper football.;) We call it football, or footy.

MountainMan
08-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Football starts today!!!!! My son is in his first official football game of the season. Ten years old and he is playing either left or right tackle depending on who needs rest. We are leaving in 45min because he has to be there at least an hour before the game.

I told him under my hoodie is my shaved body painted red with his numbers "93" painted on my belly....The absolute look of horror on his face was priceless. :D

BadCat
08-29-2010, 10:10 AM
NFL.

Raiders.

I'm going to be very grumpy every Sunday this fall.

PoliCon
08-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Hah. "Soccer" is what ignorant Americans such as yourself call Football, our Football, the proper football.;) We call it football, or footy.

You Toffs need to learn what real football is. :p

Speedy
08-29-2010, 03:23 PM
WOOT!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/speed_addiction/Fun/Image4.jpg

hampshirebrit
08-29-2010, 04:21 PM
You Toffs need to learn what real football is. :p

Our Lord Jesus invented football (the game which you Americans know as soccer) in the 14th century and gave it to the English first, partly because we were that era's nicest, wittyist and bestest looking and most powerful nation on earth, and partly because the game then involved kicking an inflated pig's bladder around a muddy field, and our Lord figured that that would be an excellent way to piss of both adherents of the original religion and those of its insolent upstart offspring, Islam.

Then, because OLJ still considered we Brits still as nice people, he allowed us to invent Rugby, which we happily played quite happily (well very happily) for a couple of millennia, exporting it to many of our colonies, well before you folk even noticed it, and then very stupidly allowed you people to import it and bastardise a fine game of ours for adaptation to armoured players and TeeVee commercial breaks.

This latter, severely mutilated, item is what you call football. Please. It's not football. It's NFL, or "enneffell". We can, and probably should, find another word for the F, or we can change the F, but football should not appear anywhere in the title. In this game, there are, relative to real football, relatively few instances where the player's feet come into contact with the ball (which is actually more an ellipse than a proper round ball shape anyway). You can see why a Brit would get confused at the misusage of the word. :mad::p

Seriously, I don't care that much. I quite like NFL, but there are more and more seasons these days where I don't pay attention. I would say I always preferred CFL to NFL games ... CFL is far more fluid than NFL, or it was when I lived there. I've walked away from both college and NFL games, both live and on TV, because everything was wrapped up before the end of the 2nd quarter. At the live ones, half the crowd seemed to be leaving at the same time as us.

I've seen CFL games decided in the last minute. No one dared to leave.

Rockntractor
08-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Our Lord Jesus invented football (the game which you Americans know as soccer) in the 14th century and gave it to the English first, partly because we were that era's nicest, wittyist and bestest looking and most powerful nation on earth, and partly because the game then involved kicking an inflated pig's bladder around a muddy field, and our Lord figured that that would be an excellent way to piss of both adherents of the original religion and those of its insolent upstart offspring, Islam.

Then, because OLJ still considered we Brits still as nice people, he allowed us to invent Rugby, which we happily played quite happily (well very happily) for a couple of millennia, exporting it to many of our colonies, well before you folk even noticed it, and then very stupidly allowed you people to import it and bastardise a fine game of ours for adaptation to armoured players and TeeVee commercial breaks.

This latter, severely mutilated, item is what you call football. Please. It's not football. It's NFL, or "enneffell". We can, and probably should, find another word for the F, or we can change the F, but football should not appear anywhere in the title. In this game, there are, relative to real football, relatively few instances where the player's feet come into contact with the ball (which is actually more an ellipse than a proper round ball shape anyway). You can see why a Brit would get confused at the misusage of the word. :mad::p

Seriously, I don't care that much. I quite like NFL, but there are more and more seasons these days where I don't pay attention. I would say I always preferred CFL to NFL games ... CFL is far more fluid than NFL, or it was when I lived there. I've walked away from both college and NFL games, both live and on TV, because everything was wrapped up before the end of the 2nd quarter. At the live ones, half the crowd seemed to be leaving at the same time as us.

Liar liar English panties on fire! He made a bet with the devil that he could make Brits run in circles like fags (and I don't mean cigarettes) kicking a little ball around!:rolleyes:

hampshirebrit
08-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Liar liar English panties on fire! He made a bet with the devil that he could make Brits run in circles like fags (and I don't mean cigarettes) kicking a little ball around!:rolleyes:

I never said that's what it isn't now. I'd agree, football is largely about 22 very overpaid homosexuals chasing a small round object around a field nowadays.

There is far too much money in football for it to be a worthwhile sport for me to be interested in anymore. Same goes for almost every sport nowadays.

PoliCon
08-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Our Lord Jesus invented football. You shoulda just stopped there. everything after this was just a waste of time. Yours and mine. :p

hampshirebrit
08-29-2010, 07:44 PM
You shoulda just stopped there. everything after this was just a waste of time. Yours and mine. :p

Not really. Try proving that Jesus didn't invent football. I am willing to bet that you cannot do this.

PoliCon
08-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Not really. Try proving that Jesus didn't invent football. I am willing to bet that you cannot do this.

I do not doubt that he did invent football. I will take it a step further and confess that the Steelers are his chosen team. After all they have more superbowls than any other team. :cool:

hampshirebrit
08-29-2010, 08:03 PM
I do not doubt that he did invent football.:

You shoulda just stopped there. everything after this was ... :p

NJCardFan
08-29-2010, 08:40 PM
A bit warm today.

TOTD: I'm a football fan but not as big as I used to be. I no longer get emotionally involved anymore. I like to go to games but the most I'll do is wear my jersey or a hat. One thing I'll never understand is people who get all wound up and actually fist fight over rival football games. Or beat someone up because they dared wear the wrong color jersey into a stadium. It's just a fucking game. Million dollar players playing for billion dollar owners who wouldn't walk across a room to piss on Raider Nation or the Dog Pound or whomever if they were on fire. I've also soured on how the average fan has been priced out of the stadium. The first NFL game I ever attended was in 1978 as my beloved Cardinals, who were 0-8, got their first win of the year over the Eagles in Philly 16-6. Tickets were $10 a piece for the old 700 level(nose bleeds). The last NFL game I attended was the Falcons at Eagles in 2008. Tickets were $85...for nose bleeds. This doesn't count the concessions that you need a 2nd mortgage to pay for.

Anyhoo, I'm a Florida State fan for NCAA and an Arizona Cardinals fan for the NFL. Been a Cardinal fan since 1975 and am a die hard.

PoliCon
08-29-2010, 08:51 PM
You shoulda just stopped there. everything after this was ... :p

You forget - God prefers America - which is why he took up our side when we fought against you Toffs. So CLEARLY he invented real football not soccer. :p

hampshirebrit
08-29-2010, 08:58 PM
You forget - God prefers America - which is why he took up our side when we fought against you Toffs. So CLEARLY he invented real football not soccer. :p

Spoilsport. You're no fun to argue with. :mad: At all.

Bubba Dawg
08-29-2010, 08:59 PM
I'll say that yes, Soccer was invented by the Brits.

Rugby too.

But the good ole forward pass was invented in the U S of A. :p

Hamburgers and Frankfurters too.....

hampshirebrit
08-29-2010, 09:00 PM
I'll say that yes, Soccer was invented by the Brits.

Rugby too.

But the good ole forward pass was invented in the U S of A. :p

Hamburgers and Frankfurters too.....

And cheerleaders, as well, let's not forget the good work they do.

PoliCon
08-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Spoilsport. You're no fun to argue with. :mad: At all.

:p Go sing a song with the other soccer hooligans. :p..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-_rf2jVxxYhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZwgQwnGLKo

Bubba Dawg
08-29-2010, 09:08 PM

Quite right. Harrumph.

Why don't soccer...um...football teams have cheerleaders? :confused:

Rockntractor
08-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Quite right. Harrumph.

Why don't soccer...um...football teams have cheerleaders? :confused:

They would likely be more masculine than the players!:eek:

PoliCon
08-29-2010, 09:11 PM

yet more proof of the superiority of Football to Soccer. You guys have skinheads singing - we have cheerleaders - and the LFL. :cool:http://www.lflus.com/

PoliCon
08-29-2010, 09:12 PM

:D

Bubba Dawg
08-29-2010, 09:12 PM

Right there is what you call the set up.

Straight man, Bubba, does the straight line.

Punch Line by Rock.

Comedy College 101.

A thing of beauty to behold.

Bubba Dawg
08-29-2010, 09:14 PM
:D

Rock did do well on that one, didn't he?

Bubba Dawg
08-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Americans also invented gaps in songs where the music stops and then there is a pause...sometimes a long one...and then the music continues.

Some people are bothered by that, if you can believe it. :confused:

Constitutionally Speaking
08-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Hot today and going to be warm again for a while.

The Detroit Lions are the best in the land and this is the year they prove it.

College wise - I am partial to the University of Michigan, and am gaining admiration for the Job Dantonio is doing with Michigan State.

Bubba Dawg
08-29-2010, 10:31 PM

College wise - I am partial to the University of Michigan, and am gaining admiration for the Job Dantonio is doing with Michigan State.

One of my Georgia Boyz, Stafford, iz gonna have a good year. I jes know it.

PoliCon
08-29-2010, 10:36 PM

dude - put down the crack pipe and back away slowly . . . . :p:D

NJCardFan
08-29-2010, 11:22 PM

You owe me a new computer.

JB
08-30-2010, 12:19 PM
What teams do you like?The Eagles and anyone playing the Cowboys.

Rebel Yell
08-30-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm a die hard football fan. The world stops when my beloved Hurricanes of Miami take the field. Sundays pass by alot quicker when the Falcons are on.

This is gonna be a good year to be a fan of both my teams.

Rebel Yell
08-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Anyhoo, I'm a Florida State fan for NCAA and an Arizona Cardinals fan for the NFL. Been a Cardinal fan since 1975 and am a die hard.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb302/MalesShouldntBeJealous/MiamisBitch.jpg

hampshirebrit
08-30-2010, 04:54 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb302/MalesShouldntBeJealous/MiamisBitch.jpg

Oh lordy. That's fighting talk if ever I saw it.

Apache
08-30-2010, 05:42 PM

Holy crap!!!! I didn't think anybody could survive drinking that much in one sitting....

:p

NJCardFan
08-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Oh lordy. That's fighting talk if ever I saw it.

You might want to read my other post on the subject.