PDA

View Full Version : "Those Were the Days" Monday

Rebel Yell
08-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Actually getting tolerable out there.

TOTD: With all the PC crap on today's sitcoms, dramas, and music, there are lots of entertaining shows and songs that couldn't be made today. What are some you remember? OF course, everyone's mind races directly to Archie Bunker, hence the thread title. What are some others?

Rockntractor
08-30-2010, 09:21 AM
It is going to be hot today, summer is having it's last hurrah.

TOTD: It would be hard to have a show about the Beaver today.

Wei Wu Wei
08-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Archie Bunker would be great today.

Gingersnap
08-30-2010, 09:46 AM
We're on the cool-down slope: low 80s and high 70s all week long. My giant sunflowers may be too "giant" for my own good. :(

TOTD: I don't watch sitcoms but there are a bunch of movies that could no longer be made: Blazing Saddles, Airplane, Jabberwocky, High Anxiety, etc. Other movies wouldn't be worth watching if they were made today like Pretty in Pink or The Breakfast Club.

On the one hand, we've lost our sense of humor due to PC crap and on the other, we've become so cynical and desensitized to hope and innocent pleasures that the effort would be pointless.

Wei Wu Wei
08-30-2010, 09:52 AM
I hardly think it's "PC Crap" that's resulted in our diluted culture. It's more of a post-modern decentering of the contemporary subject.

linda22003
08-30-2010, 09:53 AM
The "Maude has an abortion" episode.

Rebel Yell
08-30-2010, 09:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWzTU7VAPLY

Gingersnap
08-30-2010, 10:24 AM
I hardly think it's "PC Crap" that's resulted in our diluted culture. It's more of a post-modern decentering of the contemporary subject.

Oh, wake up Wu Wu. There are plenty of jokes and themes illustrated in the films I mentioned that would make them off-limits today for fear of giving offense to one special interest group or another. It's not that the culture at large doesn't find those things humorous still, it's that the producers fear a box-office flap and negatively publicity.

Jargon doesn't really trump reality.

noonwitch
08-30-2010, 11:12 AM
It's hot, here.

TOTD: Two of my favorite shows from the 70s would be very different if PC was applied-Soap and WKRP. Benson, Herb Tarlek, and Venus Flytrap are definitely not PC characters. And Andy Travis' jeans were way too tight by today's standards. And no show today on network tv would have a character say this line: "We don't have homos in Texas".

Wei Wu Wei
08-30-2010, 11:13 AM
There are plenty of jokes and themes on television like those you mention. South Park and Chappelle's Show, 2 of Comedy Centrals biggest shows both routinely make (or made) jokes of that sort. Fox's network broadcasts have shows like Family Guy and probably some other trash as well that makes fun of certain groups. Hell even the most mainstream comedy shows like SNL make jokes about so called "PC issues".

As for movies, the makers of Airplane! still make comedy films, most box office comedies have at least some joke or two that is so called "not PC", and others have entire themes or series of jokes.

Archie Bunker has been duplicated a dozen times over, and the character was only good in it's time because the atmosphere was relatively MORE PC back then. There is a sea of Archie Bunker descendants all over television and movies.

Rebel Yell
08-30-2010, 11:17 AM
There are plenty of jokes and themes on television like those you mention. South Park and Chappelle's Show, 2 of Comedy Centrals biggest shows both routinely make (or made) jokes of that sort. Fox's network broadcasts have shows like Family Guy and probably some other trash as well that makes fun of certain groups. Hell even the most mainstream comedy shows like SNL make jokes about so called "PC issues".

As for movies, the makers of Airplane! still make comedy films, most box office comedies have at least some joke or two that is so called "not PC", and others have entire themes or series of jokes.

Archie Bunker has been duplicated a dozen times over, and the character was only good in it's time because the atmosphere was relatively MORE PC back then. There is a sea of Archie Bunker descendants all over television and movies.

The two formats the get a bye on being PC opn television are Animated Comedies and Sketch Comedies. They are expected to be un PC. Even the tamest of Animated comedies, King of the Hill couldn't get by the censors if it were live action. And that came from Mike Judge himself.

Wei Wu Wei
08-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Curb Your Enthusiasm comes to mind but I can't think of many other shows, and that's on HBO

Apache
08-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Not a show but a movie that wouldn't be made today....

Blazing Saddles :cool: