PDA

View Full Version : Dutch police question men over 'suspicious' transatlantic luggage

bijou
08-31-2010, 06:45 AM
Two men who arrived at Amsterdam airport from Chicago were today being questioned by Dutch police after the US authorities found "suspicious items" in their luggage.

A mobile phone strapped to a bottle of Pepto-Bismol, several mobile phones strapped together and a number of watches taped together were found in the men's checked luggage yesterday morning, along with a knife and a boxcutter, US officials said.

Amy Kudwa, a spokeswoman for the US department of homeland security, said the items found "were not deemed to be dangerous in and of themselves". ... http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/31/dutch-police-suspicious-items-transatlantic

Jfor
08-31-2010, 01:08 PM
I want to know how they made it to amesterdam with that stuff if us officials knew about it.

nightflight
08-31-2010, 01:15 PM
I want to know how they made it to amesterdam with that stuff if us officials knew about it.

I'm hoping they allowed them to go in order to track them. Hoping.

lacarnut
08-31-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm hoping they allowed them to go in order to track them. Hoping.

I am hoping that the two muzzies get the shit beat out of them, and that the idiot at Homeland Security gets fired for her stupid statement that the knife and box-cutter in themselves was not a threat. WTF

NJCardFan
08-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks to these scumbags and their ilk, pretty soon when you fly, you're only going to be allowed to fly with just you, you're body and whatever clothes you are wearing while all baggage is going to have to be shipped separately.

linda22003
08-31-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm flying iinternationally soon, so this gets my attention. Originally it was going to be through Amsterdam, but it ended up being a different connection.

hampshirebrit
08-31-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm guessing this was a probing run that went wrong. Hopefully the authorities will try to find ways to charge and imprison the two...let's see where they're from ... Yemenis, well colour me shocked.

The great religion of Islam has certainly made flying anywhere a total pain in the ass these days.

lacarnut
08-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Why didn't the FBI or the CIA tail them to see what they were up to? Probably a dry run or it could be the idiots in the WH jumped the gun.

Nubs
08-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Although DHS is dismissing this event, it shows some real problems.

What was learned,

You can get box cutters onboard in checked baggage.
You can get a wired bombs in checked baggage.

Miss your connecting flight and your bags will travel without you.

Latest AP reports again dismisses the event because the 2 in question did not even know eachother. This is less than a calming development. This tells me that their coordination is such that they can coordinate the activation and placement of 2 operatives without the operatives being aware of each others plans.

PoliCon
08-31-2010, 04:40 PM
seems to me like a dry run for a bombing.

lacarnut
08-31-2010, 05:33 PM

What was learned,

Latest AP reports again dismisses the event because the 2 in question did not even know eachother. This is less than a calming development. This tells me that their coordination is such that they can coordinate the activation and placement of 2 operatives without the operatives being aware of each others plans.

Looks like we have some mental giants working at DHS. Wait, that where Nappy head is the chief honcho.

NJCardFan
08-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Hmm, some don't think anything of it. So, what they're saying is that it's completely normal to strap watches and cell phones to Pepto Bismol bottles?:rolleyes:

asdf2231
08-31-2010, 11:35 PM
Hmm, some don't think anything of it. So, what they're saying is that it's completely normal to strap watches and cell phones to Pepto Bismol bottles?:rolleyes:

The radiation from the cell phones makes the pepto ferment. it's a poor man's singapore sling. :D

Odysseus
09-01-2010, 10:25 AM

What was learned,

You nailed it. The lack of direct connection clearly points to two separate attempts, coordinated through a third party. That means that discreet cells can operate independently through a handler. That makes them harder to track while expanded the lethality of combined operations. Anyone who thinks that the lack of direct contact between the two is a good thing needs a refresher course in terrorism 101.

lacarnut
09-01-2010, 02:34 PM
You nailed it. The lack of direct connection clearly points to two separate attempts, coordinated through a third party. That means that discreet cells can operate independently through a handler. That makes them harder to track while expanded the lethality of combined operations. Anyone who thinks that the lack of direct contact between the two is a good thing needs a refresher course in terrorism 101.

I doubt Nappy head and the Magic Negro think this was a dry run, and that it was a co-ordinated event.

Nubs
09-01-2010, 03:03 PM
I would also note that ANFO, ammonium nitrate fuel oil, can have the appearance in both consistency and color to Pepto. So next time, a possible ied will be dismissed as just "a cell phone and pepto taped together". We have seen this before, it is common to have muslims heading to Yemin to have cell phones taped to bottles of pepto, must be some sort of Yemeni cultural heritage.

Now all they need to complete the ied is replacing the pepto with ANFO and a detonator wired to the cell phone.

DHS will now have to focus on finding a detonator rather than the larger cell phone/pepto/tapeball carrired by muslim men on their way to Yemin.

m00
09-01-2010, 03:33 PM

When I travel I check my toiletries and other essentials... nail clippers, scissors, tweezers, travel clock, batteries, and such. If I couldn't check them... that would be pretty inconvenient.

PoliCon
09-01-2010, 03:36 PM
See the thing is - these guys were clearly muslims so subjecting them to screenings would be racist and would be profiling. Now - if they had been white grandmothers - they would have been subjected to strip and full cavity searches . . . .