PDA

View Full Version : Education secretary urged his employees to go to Sharpton’s rally

Gingersnap
08-31-2010, 10:37 AM
"If we think of a Bush cabinet official sending an e-mail to civil servants asking them to attend a Glenn Beck rally, there would be a lot of outrage over that."

Education secretary urged his employees to go to Sharpton’s rally
By News on the Net Monday, August 30, 2010
By: Lisa Gartner, Examiner Staff Writer

President Obama’s top education official urged government employees to attend a rally that the Rev. Al Sharpton organized to counter a larger conservative event on the Mall.

“ED staff are invited to join Secretary Arne Duncan, the Reverend Al Sharpton, and other leaders on Saturday, Aug. 28, for the ‘Reclaim the Dream’ rally and march,” began an internal e-mail sent to more than 4,000 employees of the Department of Education on Wednesday.

Sharpton created the event after Glenn Beck announced a massive Tea Party “Restoring Honor” rally at the Lincoln Memorial, where King spoke in 1963.

:mad:

Canada Free Press (http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/27156)

NJCardFan
08-31-2010, 01:39 PM
It's OK Ginger, really. Everyone is well aware that there is a different set of rules for liberals and conservatives.

lacarnut
08-31-2010, 01:49 PM
The Obummer Administration is all about bringing people together. He has done such an admiral job in that respect. :rolleyes:

Sharpton is a race baiting POS. Probably more Education employees went to see Beck than grease- ball Al.

Zeus
08-31-2010, 03:34 PM
The Obummer Administration is all about bringing people together. He has done such an admiral job in that respect. :rolleyes:

Sharpton is a race baiting POS. Probably more Education employees went to see Beck than grease- ball Al.

Other than the obvious bias of the situation I don't have a problem with a memo to employees

lacarnut
08-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Other than the obvious bias of the situation I don't have a problem with a memo to employees

Me neither as long as it was not mandatory. The state of LA would give us the day off for the inauguration of a Governor every 4 years. I attended nada and enjoyed my day off.

noonwitch
08-31-2010, 03:48 PM
It's not a Hatch Act violation, because the Sharpton rally (or the Beck rally, for that matter) wasn't an election rally, nor was it technically a political rally. It was supposedly to remember MLK.

It's a fine line. If it was a rally at the MLK center in Atlanta, and the Secretary was encouraging it as a historical event, I'd say it was okay to encourage DOE employees to attend . But it's not, it was planned by Sharpton to counter Beck's rally. I wouldn't say it was illegal, but it was "inappropriate", to use a frequently used term in social work.