PDA

View Full Version : Artist Builds Backyard Survival Shelter, Homemade Shotgun Robot

Gingersnap
09-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Aug 31st 2010 By Michael B. Dougherty

Artist Builds Backyard Survival Shelter, Homemade Shotgun Robot

http://i56.tinypic.com/2u60ggo.jpg
Artist Chad Person wasn't about to sit idly by and wait for the coming robot-zombie apocalypse, so he dug up his Albuquerque, N.M., backyard and built himself a custom survival shelter.

Dubbed RECESS (Resource Exhaustion Crisis Evacuation Safety Shelter), Person's project isn't some wonky, conceptual-art stunt, but a genuine reaction to these uncertain times, just like the growing Prepper Movement.

"The short answer is fear. Just purely fear," says Person when Asylum asked him why he spends his weekends designing bulletproof doors. Person had recently achieved the adult trifecta of wife-baby-house and found his protective instincts kicking into high gear -- so he decided to replace the pool with something a bit more useful.

"After a little while of careful thought, it really made logical sense to turn it into a bunker where I could store water and resources and food and weapons," says Person.

Keep reading to get an underground tour and learn how to make your own robot shotgun sentry.

Construction
The first step for Person was to borrow designs from Army and FEMA field manuals, consult trade professionals and, in some cases, improvise from movies.

With no formal background in construction, Person wheeled in 20 yards of cement by hand to pour the bunker's 6-inch-thick, concrete rebar roof. With the addition of some creative landscaping, the shelter completely disappeared from sight.

Of course, a shelter is only as good as its front door, and Person went to great lengths to make sure you don't want to knock on his. Before you even reach it, you must slide through a hatch-like opening and into an antechamber specifically designed to discourage intruders from proceeding any further. Weighing 300 lbs., the steel door is reinforced with ballistics foam and angled iron, which is capable of withstanding rounds from an AR-15 at close range.

More at the link! This is awesome! If all artists did stuff like this, people would like them better.

Asylum (http://www.asylum.com/2010/08/31/survival-shelter-chad-person/)

JB
09-01-2010, 01:22 PM
so he decided to replace the pool with something a bit more useful.Huh?

He replaces a pool - something that he could use 90% of the year living in New Mexico - with something he will never use.

Cool bunker though.

FlaGator
09-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Huh?

He replaces a pool - something that he could use 90% of the year living in New Mexico - with something he will never use.

Cool bunker though.

That's easy to say before the zombie apocalypse starts...

Gingersnap
09-01-2010, 05:34 PM
That's easy to say before the zombie apocalypse starts...

Isn't it? I guess old JB is gonna get caught short-handed during TEOTWAWKI. Pity, he seems like a nice guy.

Wei Wu Wei
09-01-2010, 05:41 PM
More at the link! This is awesome! If all artists did stuff like this, people would like them better.

Asylum (http://www.asylum.com/2010/08/31/survival-shelter-chad-person/)

lol I think he's being ironic.

JB
09-01-2010, 05:45 PM
lol I think he's being ironic.How so?

Gingersnap
09-01-2010, 09:48 PM
lol I think he's being ironic.

Really doubtful, dude.

Wei Wu Wei
09-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Really doubtful, dude.

During this political and social climate, an artist builds an elaborate over-the-top bomb shelter, WITH STYLE, and as for his inspiration he gives: "The short answer is fear. Just purely fear,"

Yeah, sounds like sharp irony to me.

Wei Wu Wei
09-02-2010, 10:44 AM
It's like a political cartoon but on a much bigger scale.

Gingersnap
09-02-2010, 11:08 AM
During this political and social climate, an artist builds an elaborate over-the-top bomb shelter, WITH STYLE, and as for his inspiration he gives: "The short answer is fear. Just purely fear,"

Yeah, sounds like sharp irony to me.

Sounds like fun to me. It's not like anybody looks to the contemporary art scene to interpret social issues these days.

FlaGator
09-02-2010, 11:20 AM
It's like a political cartoon but on a much bigger scale.

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"