View Full Version : Black book section at Wal Mart

Puro Fan
09-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Racial divide shows up on Walmart book shelves
U.S. store chain segregating titles by subjects' skin color

By Bob Dyer
Beacon Journal columnist

Published on Thursday, Sep 02, 2010

At many area Walmarts, the book section is extremely well-organized.

The self-help books are here . . . the religion section is there . . . cooking and diet books farther down . . . and right over here is the black section.

You think I'm kidding?

At Walmart, apparently, skin color trumps all.

The ''black section'' contains everything written by and about blacks: romance novels, self-help books, religion, sports, even an autobiography by the current president of the United States.

BLACK BOOK SECTION! If that's what passes for offensive these days, call Jesse and Al and let them know that the civil rights movement is over.

BTW, Bob Dyer is a middle-aged white dude. And he is a world class liberal whiner.

http://www.ohio.com/news/102043983.html

AmPat
09-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Makes it easier for me to avoid certain authors. I wonder if Thomas Sowell is among the titles?

Puro Fan
09-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Makes it easier for me to avoid certain authors. I wonder if Thomas Sowell is among the titles?

Come on! You know Thomas Sowell isn't really black. He's a conservative. SHEESH! Everyone knows that real black people aren't conservative. His books are probably in the "Uncle Tom" section. :rolleyes:

Rebel Yell
09-02-2010, 04:42 PM
I wish I had it that easy.

If I was black, all my books would be in one section.

If I was Mexican, all my groceries would be on one aisle.

If I was Indian (boobly boobly Indian, not "How" Indian) everything I need would be in my convenience store.

As it is, I have to walk all over Wal Mart to get what I need.

lacarnut
09-02-2010, 04:59 PM
I wish I had it that easy.

If I was black, all my books would be in one section.

If I was Mexican, all my groceries would be on one aisle.

If I was Indian (boobly boobly Indian, not "How" Indian) everything I need would be in my convenience store.

As it is, I have to walk all over Wal Mart to get what I need.

You ain't shitting. Sound like Whitey discrimination to me. :confused:

warpig
09-02-2010, 05:42 PM
I wish I was black............maybe then I could get a date with a white woman..................:D

Lager
09-02-2010, 06:49 PM
I wonder, do they have the book based on the movie "Precious" which was a movie based on the book "Push" by Sapphire?

Gingersnap
09-02-2010, 10:26 PM
You'll notice too that all the Christian books in Wal-Mart are segregated along with all the hunting mags. :mad:

PoliCon
09-02-2010, 10:32 PM
BLACK BOOK SECTION! If that's what passes for offensive these days, call Jesse and Al and let them know that the civil rights movement is over.

BTW, Bob Dyer is a middle-aged white dude. And he is a world class liberal whiner.

http://www.ohio.com/news/102043983.html

I hate to break it to this dumbass - but pretty much all book stores have a AFRICAN-AMERICAN section. :rolleyes:

FlaGator
09-03-2010, 08:20 AM
I hate to break it to this dumbass - but pretty much all book stores have a AFRICAN-AMERICAN section. :rolleyes:

And that makes it a non-racist action?

PoliCon
09-03-2010, 09:44 AM
And that makes it a non-racist action?

Yes. African-American is a LOC classification. It is both reasonable and proper to have books that fall into said classification grouped together. I mean is it ageist to have all the kids books together? Or Sexist to have all the romance novels together?? :rolleyes:

FlaGator
09-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Yes. African-American is a LOC classification. It is both reasonable and proper to have books that fall into said classification grouped together. I mean is it ageist to have all the kids books together? Or Sexist to have all the romance novels together?? :rolleyes:

But don't blacks span all those areas. Aren't there male and female blacks? Old and young blacks. Don't blacks need religious books and self help books like every other race and gender. I can understand a section for blacks that cater to specifics of the black experience but to take all these same books others read and separate them just because the author is black reeks of special treatment. Why don't we just have books stores for whites and some for latinos and some for blacks and some for asians? What about bath rooms? Perhaps we should return to the days of white and black bathrooms and white and black resturants.

marv
09-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Melvil Dewey had it right when he set up his decimal system for libraries.

NJCardFan
09-03-2010, 12:18 PM
I wish I was black............maybe then I could get a date with a white woman..................:D

Only if her name is Lisa Lampinelli. As for an African American section, as was said, all book stores separate different genres. Christian books are segregated as are books in Spanish.

FlaGator
09-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Only if her name is Lisa Lampinelli. As for an African American section, as was said, all book stores separate different genres. Christian books are segregated as are books in Spanish.

That I can understand, as I understand the need to separate children's books. I can even understand the separation of books that deal with specific African American issues, but in a lot of cases the books in the black section span genre's and are not specific to African American culture. Is there a need for a section entitled 'African American Literature'? Shouldn't there just be a Classic Literature section that contains black authors as well as authors of all other nationalities and races? I have never seen an Italian American Literature section in a book store. In fact I've never seen an Italian American section of any kind in a book store.

AmPat
09-03-2010, 02:46 PM

Are Christian books written by Black authors found in the Black section or Christian section?:confused:

I thought books were categorized by topic and type and not by the color of the author's skin.

PoliCon
09-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Melvil Dewey had it right when he set up his decimal system for libraries.

His system sucks to be quite frank - which is why schools all over are switching to the far more functional LOC system.

PoliCon
09-03-2010, 07:15 PM
But don't blacks span all those areas. Aren't there male and female blacks? Old and young blacks. Don't blacks need religious books and self help books like every other race and gender. I can understand a section for blacks that cater to specifics of the black experience but to take all these same books others read and separate them just because the author is black reeks of special treatment. Why don't we just have books stores for whites and some for latinos and some for blacks and some for asians? What about bath rooms? Perhaps we should return to the days of white and black bathrooms and white and black resturants.

If the primary focus of the book is or relates to 'african Americans' the books will be in the section - just like books who's primary focus is woman's issues will be found in the 'woman's issues' section and religious themed books are all in the religion section.

PoliCon
09-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Are Christian books written by Black authors found in the Black section or Christian section?:confused:

I thought books were categorized by topic and type and not by the color of the author's skin.

I would imagine that that would depend on the books LOC number - which means it would depend at least in part on the choices and preferences of the author and publisher.

Rockntractor
09-03-2010, 10:51 PM
What we need are race licenses that tell us what words we are allowed to use, what books we can read and what dates we can safely have rallies on that aren't owned by other races. These new equal rights are hard to keep track of, there are so many different kinds of equal!

AmPat
09-04-2010, 12:41 AM
What we need are race licenses that tell us what words we are allowed to use, what books we can read and what dates we can safely have rallies on that aren't owned by other races. These new equal rights are hard to keep track of, there are so many different kinds of equal!

We should also check out the various race baiters out there who think they have a monopoly on MLK Jr simply because they share a skin color.

Lager
09-04-2010, 10:09 AM
I am just curious, is it okay if a black person still reads something by a white author? If such a book was accidentally put in the "black" section, and someone actually bought it and read it, could they then file a suit against Wal-Mart?

I have a friend who works in the Post Office, and she said that many blacks will only buy "Black Heritage" postage stamps and are reluctant to buy any others if they are out of stock.

AmPat
09-04-2010, 10:46 AM
I have a test I use. If I run across something like Miss Black America/ Black Heritage Stamps/ Black Caucus or FUBU, NAACP, UNCF, Black Schools, I reverse the situation and substitute White. If it wouldn't fly or indeed would be attacked by the Blacks, I refuse to support it.:cool:

MountainMan
09-04-2010, 11:08 AM
I wish I was black............maybe then I could get a date with a white woman..................:D Enjoy: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.asylum.com/media/2009/02/lisa-lampanelli-ap-186.jpg