PDA

View Full Version : Oval Office makeover widely criticized

Gingersnap
09-02-2010, 04:32 PM
eptember 2, 2010
TRENDING: Oval Office makeover widely criticized
Posted: September 2nd, 2010 02:18 PM ET

From CNN's Shawna Shepherd and Dan Lothian

The makeover of the Oval Office has been widely panned in press reports and on the blogosphere for being too casual.

Washington (CNN) The makeover of the Oval Office has been widely panned in press reports and on the blogosphere for being too casual and for its bland color palate but White House press secretary Robert Gibbs doesn't expect President Obama to weigh in anytime soon.

"I have not heard him give a review on the reviews," Gibbs said, when asked what the president thought about his new office at Thursday's press briefing.

A design team swooped in and in less than 10 days while the president and First Family were away on Martha's Vineyard transformed the president's office from a traditional and somewhat formal setting to a more modern family-style room.

There's a new signature oval rug, leather desk chair, two overstuffed light brown couches, a walnut and mica coffee table with modern lines, two blue ceramic lamps and blue accent pillows on the couch, reupholstered furniture, and handmade striped wallpaper.

But history did not go out the door in this redesign. The president held onto the historic Resolute desk, paintings, and other art work he added when he came into office.

Meh. It doesn't do anything for me but it's his house for the moment. Pic at the link.

CNN (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/02/update-oval-office-make-over/)

PoliCon
09-02-2010, 07:37 PM
No ma'am. It's OUR house that he's living in rent free.

Constitutionally Speaking
09-02-2010, 07:48 PM
The company that did the redecorating was a company from Grand Rapids, Michigan. I'm sorry to hear that it did not debut to rave reviews.

PoliCon
09-02-2010, 07:51 PM
The company that did the redecorating was a company from Grand Rapids, Michigan. I'm sorry to hear that it did not debut to rave reviews.

look at it. It's crap. It has no class. What the hell is that thing in the middle of the floor? - BESIDES ugly that is?? :rolleyes:

Bubba Dawg
09-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Looks okay to me.

Hawkgirl
09-02-2010, 08:15 PM
It's too beige. It needs a punch of color somewhere.

09-02-2010, 08:20 PM
I liked it better the way it was also, but I don't think this is all THAT bad.

Rockntractor
09-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Be glad he didn't knock down any walls and add a basketball court or putting green or something.

09-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Be glad he didn't knock down any walls and add a basketball court or putting green or something.

Don't give him any ideas. The man is crass and classless.

FlaGator
09-02-2010, 08:28 PM
It's too beige. It needs a punch of color somewhere.

I agree, too much beige but other than that I thought it was just fine.

PoliCon
09-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Too damn much chenille and too damn much beige. Just look at the draperies. and striped wallpaper??? COME ON!

and what the hell do they do with the furnishing and draperies that WERE in there?

FlaGator
09-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Too damn much chenille and too damn much beige. Just look at the draperies. and striped wallpaper??? COME ON!

and what the hell do they do with the furnishing and draperies that WERE in there?

I did like how it looked with Bush in the White House. I hope some one saved that stuff with the intention of putting it back come January 2013. :D

Kay
09-02-2010, 08:46 PM
It's better than I expected.
I figured it would be something really horrid.
I kind of like the neutral earthy colors in the furniture.
I don't really like the wall paper though. I don't like the stripes.

PoliCon
09-02-2010, 08:47 PM
I did like how it looked with Bush in the White House. I hope some one saved that stuff with the intention of putting it back come January 2013. :D

There Bush Oval office was ok. There are several aspects of the design that I personally just don't like - but at least Bush didn't have fake plants on the mantle.

PoliCon
09-02-2010, 08:47 PM
The oval office over the years . . . .

http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/west-wing/oval-office-old.htm

WTF!? Truman had BOLIVAR over the mantle with Washington to the side?? That man was a sick fuck.

FlaGator
09-02-2010, 08:53 PM
I almost hate to say it, but I really liked the Clinton Oval Office. It looked... well... Presidential.

PoliCon
09-02-2010, 08:54 PM
I almost hate to say it, but I really liked the Clinton Oval Office. It looked... well... Presidential.

He did have a carefully crafted image. I'm sure that was his intent with that decor.

Kay
09-02-2010, 08:55 PM

There is a video special that aired on The History Channel a few years ago, where Laura Bush took them on a tour of the White House. She talked about the process when a new POTUS moves in. The White House Historical Society (if I recall right) has a huge cashe of furniture, rugs, etc that were designed by or given to former First families. They have bunches of oval office rugs, and the new guy gets to chose from them or design his own.

Laura talked about designing the yellow rug that Bush had. So I'm sure that is now in the storeroom with the others, and can be used again in the future if another POTUS wanted it back.

I found the video - here is a link to it. It was very interesting.

http://shop.history.com/detail.php?p=76498

Rockntractor
09-02-2010, 08:55 PM
He did have a carefully crafted image. I'm sure that was his intent with that decor.

Okay, this is getting gay fast!:eek:

PoliCon
09-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Okay, this is getting gay fast!:eek:

Hey - lets be realistic - how many blowjobs did those drapes get him?

PoliCon
09-02-2010, 08:59 PM
There is a video special that aired on The History Channel a few years ago, where Laura Bush took them on a tour of the White House. She talked about the process when a new POTUS moves in. The White House Historical Society (if I recall right) has a huge cashe of furniture, rugs, etc that were designed by or given to former First families. They have bunches of oval office rugs, and the new guy gets to chose from them or design his own.

Laura talked about designing the yellow rug that Bush had. So I'm sure that is now in the storeroom with the others, and can be used again in the future if another POTUS wanted it back.

I found the video - here is a link to it. It was very interesting.

http://shop.history.com/detail.php?p=76498

If that's the case why is it that the White House website has to 'recreate' pics of the old carpets?

rjas77
09-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Where are the portraits of Che and Stalin?

PoliCon
09-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Where are the portraits of Che and Stalin?

hanging over his bed of course.

m00
09-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Well, it's pet/kid-proof at least. No brown stains will ever show up.

PoliCon
09-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Neither should be in there.

SaintLouieWoman
09-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Looked through the pics of the previous presidents' oval office ---none of them had wallpaper, all appeared to have solid colored walls. Obama's looks the worst. That wallpaper has to go. The picture wasn't very clear; are those gold stripes or brownish stripes? The whole room looks muddy and drab.

Whichever designer came up with this probably also advises on Mrs. O's horrible clothes.

Rockntractor
09-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Looked through the pics of the previous presidents' oval office ---none of them had wallpaper, all appeared to have solid colored walls. Obama's looks the worst. That wallpaper has to go. The picture wasn't very clear; are those gold stripes or brownish stripes? The whole room looks muddy and drab.

Whichever designer came up with this probably also advises on Mrs. O's horrible clothes.

Hmmm muddy and drab, you are what you eat and lobsters like it muddy and drab!

rjas77
09-02-2010, 10:58 PM
hanging over his bed of course.

Silly me

SarasotaRepub
09-03-2010, 07:27 AM
I don't begrudge the Prez redoing the office but man...

That looks like cheap shit stuff. I'm sure it isn't but I'd expect to see crappy sofas like that in a basement.

linda22003
09-03-2010, 08:59 AM
It's okay aside from the sofas, which are a little too Pottery Barn.

linda22003
09-03-2010, 09:04 AM

The designer is Michael S. Smith. I do like the pictures on his website.

http://www.michaelsmithinc.com/

linda22003
09-03-2010, 09:08 AM

The White House has a large storage facility. They don't just have yard sales.

linda22003
09-03-2010, 09:12 AM
The oval office over the years . . . .

http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/west-wing/oval-office-old.htm

WTF!? Truman had BOLIVAR over the mantle with Washington to the side?? That man was a sick fuck.

Of all the modern office versions, I think my least favorite is Bush 41's. Ice blue doesn't appeal to me at all.

PoliCon
09-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Of all the modern office versions, I think my least favorite is Bush 41's. Ice blue doesn't appeal to me at all.

I'll take his ice blue over Nixon's Navy blue and yellow. . . .

AmPat
09-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Where are the Moose heads and Bear Rugs? That would spruce it up a bit!:)

RobJohnson
09-04-2010, 12:19 AM
It could just be a crappy picture. It might look great in real life.

RobJohnson
09-04-2010, 12:20 AM
No ma'am. It's OUR house that he's living in rent free.

His family took a pay cut to live there. :)

Kay
09-04-2010, 12:24 AM
I'll take his ice blue over Nixon's Navy blue and yellow. . . .

Nixon's looked like he was hosting a BSA Blue & Gold Banquet.

RobJohnson
09-04-2010, 12:25 AM
http://morrisao.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/oval-office-under-obama.jpg

Kay
09-04-2010, 12:27 AM
HAHAHa!!! Now that is priceless. :D

RobJohnson
09-04-2010, 12:31 AM
A pic with a wider view...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/31/oval-office-makeover_n_700495.html

Slideshow: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/oval_office_makeover_Woc1tnbXhU4RdrfqloygIP

Bailey
09-04-2010, 07:47 AM
I can understand women nit picking the decor of the Oval office but the guys in this thread doing it makes me wonder if I stumbled onto the website for some type of queer eye for the straight guy (for home decor) :D

marinejcksn
09-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Suprised as hell that Obummer kept the painting of THE GREATEST PRESIDENT EVER in the room.

After all, George Washington was just another racist old white man, wasn't he? :rolleyes:

bijou
09-04-2010, 04:05 PM
A satirical view

YMAfS-zonCE

Audacity of Taupe. Heh. :D

Linda
09-04-2010, 04:49 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/03/AR2010090305100.html

Oval Office rug gets history wrong

By Jamie Stiehm
Saturday, September 4, 2010

A mistake has been made in the Oval Office makeover that goes beyond the beige.

President Obama's new presidential rug seemed beyond reproach, with quotations from Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. woven along its curved edge.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." According media reports, this quote keeping Obama company on his wheat-colored carpet is from King.

Except it's not a King quote. The words belong to a long-gone Bostonian champion of social progress. His roots in the republic ran so deep that his grandfather commanded the Minutemen at the Battle of Lexington.

For the record, Theodore Parker is your man, President Obama. Unless you're fascinated by antebellum American reformers, you may not know of the lyrically gifted Parker, an abolitionist, Unitarian minister and Transcendentalist thinker who foresaw the end of slavery, though he did not live to see emancipation. He died at age 49 in 1860, on the eve of the Civil War.

A century later, during the civil rights movement, King, an admirer of Parker, quoted the Bostonian's lofty prophecy during marches and speeches. Often he'd ask in a refrain, "How long? Not long." He would finish in a flourish: "Not long, because the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."

King made no secret of the author of this idea. As a Baptist preacher on the front lines of racial justice, he regarded Parker, a religious leader, as a kindred spirit.

Yet somehow a mistake was made and magnified in our culture to the point that a New England antebellum abolitionist's words have been enshrined in the Oval Office while attributed to a major 20th-century figure. That is a shame, because the slain civil rights leader and Nobel Peace Prize laureate was so eloquent in his own right. Obama, who is known for his rhetorical skills, is likely to feel the slight to King -- and Parker.

My investigation into this error led me to David Remnick's biography of Obama, "The Bridge," published this year. Early in the narrative, Remnick, the editor of the New Yorker, presents this as "Barack Obama's favorite quotation." It appears that neither Remnick nor Obama has traced the language to its true source.

Parker said in 1853: "I do not pretend to understand the moral universe; the arc is a long one. . . . But from what I see I am sure it bends toward justice."

The president is at minimum well-served by Parker's presence in the room. Parker embodied the early 19th-century reformer's passionate zeal for taking on several social causes at once. Many of these reformers were Unitarians or Quakers; some were Transcendentalists. Most courageously, as early as the 1830s, they opposed the laws on slavery and eventually harbored fugitives in the Underground Railroad network of safe houses. Without 30 years of a movement agitating and petitioning for slave emancipation, Lincoln could not have ended slavery with the stroke of a pen in the midst of war. Parker was in the vanguard that laid the social and intellectual groundwork.

The familiar quote from Lincoln woven into Obama's rug is "government of the people, by the people and for the people," the well-known utterance from the close of his Gettysburg Address in 1863.

Funny that in 1850, Parker wrote, "A democracy -- that is a government of all the people, by all the people, for all the people."

Theodore Parker, Oval Office wordmeister for the ages.

What an embarassment this administrtion is....this WH so busy trying to rewrite history, even the rug lies.

lacarnut
09-04-2010, 06:35 PM
http://morrisao.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/oval-office-under-obama.jpg

Kay...don't laugh...that shit is liable to come true. With the idiot in the W.H., anything is possible.

AmPat
09-04-2010, 08:02 PM
What an embarassment this administrtion is....this WH so busy trying to rewrite history, even the rug lies.

"Lies like a rug." I like it. Very much an O Blah Blah trademark.

hazlnut
09-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Meh. It doesn't do anything for me but it's his house for the moment. Pic at the link.

CNN (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/02/update-oval-office-make-over/)

Widely...??:confused:

Seriously?:rolleyes:

PoliCon
09-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Widely...??:confused:

Seriously?:rolleyes:

I know it's hard for you to see anything wrong with your idol . . . :rolleyes: