PDA

View Full Version : How would the "gay gene" affect gay marriage?

Rebel Yell
06-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Let's say one day in the near future the "gay gene" is found. Shortly thereafter, a "cure" is found. Of course. not everybody will accept this cure. Would all you bleeding heart, rainbow shitting liberals then stop defending gay marriage? Because obviously, it would then be a choice.

MrsSmith
06-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Remember FruityNuts? If there were a gay gene, it would have to be a recessive, not a dominant. He swore he had 3 brothers, all gay except one. For 75% of one couple's children to be gay due to a genetic reason, both parents would have to be gay, also. Yet there Mom and Dad were... still happily married. There is no gay gene.

Gingersnap
06-05-2008, 06:22 PM
I don't for a minute believe there is any such thing as a "gay" gene. I believe people are born with any number of natural inclinations that need to be refined, suppressed, redirected, or encouraged.

But if such a thing did happen, I believe that the vast majority of women (who are by and large pro-choice) would elect to abort and try again. Consciously reproductive heterosexuals usually envision a continuous kinship line based on biology. This is what they would prefer and they are the overwhelming majority of reproductive orientations.

Those few gays and lesbians who would seek out surrogates or whatever and choose to carry a "gay" child would do so in isolation. Much like the two lesbians who were also deaf and deliberately sought a deaf sperm donor to create two deaf children.

FeebMaster
06-05-2008, 06:31 PM
What does it being a choice have to do with anything?

The government should get out of the marriage business all together. Yet another small government solution conservatives have no interest in.

The Night Owl
06-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Remember FruityNuts? If there were a gay gene, it would have to be a recessive, not a dominant. He swore he had 3 brothers, all gay except one. For 75% of one couple's children to be gay due to a genetic reason, both parents would have to be gay, also. Yet there Mom and Dad were... still happily married. There is no gay gene.

Anecdotal evidence proves nothing. Try science...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15689627

Excess of counterclockwise scalp hair-whorl rotation in homosexual men.Klar AJ.

While most men prefer women as their sexual partners, some are bisexual and others are homosexuals. It has been debated for a long time whether a person's sexual preference is innate, learned, or due to a combination of both causes. It was recently discovered that the human right-versus-left-hand use preference and the direction of scalp hair-whorl rotation develop from a common genetic mechanism. Such a mechanism controls functional specialization of brain hemispheres. Whether the same mechanism specifying mental makeup influences sexual preference was determined here by comparing hair-whorl rotation in groups enriched with homosexual men with that in males at large. Only a minority of 8.2% (n = 207) unselected 'control' group of males had counterclockwise rotation. In contrast, all three samples enriched with homosexual men exhibited highly significant (P < 0.0001), 3.6-fold excess (29.8%, n = 272) counterclockwise rotation. These results suggest that sexual preference may be influenced in a significant proportion of homosexual men by a biological/genetic factor that also controls direction of hair-whorl rotation.

PMID: 15689627 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Gingersnap
06-05-2008, 06:57 PM

While most men prefer women as their sexual partners, some are bisexual and others are homosexuals. It has been debated for a long time whether a person's sexual preference is innate, learned, or due to a combination of both causes. It was recently discovered that the human right-versus-left-hand use preference and the direction of scalp hair-whorl rotation develop from a common genetic mechanism. Such a mechanism controls functional specialization of brain hemispheres. Whether the same mechanism specifying mental makeup influences sexual preference was determined here by comparing hair-whorl rotation in groups enriched with homosexual men with that in males at large. Only a minority of 8.2% (n = 207) unselected 'control' group of males had counterclockwise rotation. In contrast, all three samples enriched with homosexual men exhibited highly significant (P < 0.0001), 3.6-fold excess (29.8%, n = 272) counterclockwise rotation. These results suggest that sexual preference may be influenced in a significant proportion of homosexual men by a biological/genetic factor that also controls direction of hair-whorl rotation.

I know of this study. It's interesting.

If we discovered that drama queen behavior or compulsive lying was tied to genetic indicators that predicted a tendancy toward the behaviors, would we support the behaviors because they were vaguely genetic?

The Night Owl
06-05-2008, 07:27 PM

If we discovered that drama queen behavior or compulsive lying was tied to genetic indicators that predicted a tendancy toward the behaviors, would we support the behaviors because they were vaguely genetic?

I don't know. Why don't we just deal with what evidence we have rather than imagining what we would do with evidence we don't have?

Gingersnap
06-05-2008, 07:36 PM
I don't know. Why don't we just deal with what evidence we have rather than imagining what we would do with evidence we don't have?

We are building evidence for these behaviors in genetic terms. Essentially we are back to square one - people (most people) are genetically predisposed to eat like pigs, sleep around, lie, cheat and steal or lash out in a physically aggressive manner. We use the concepts of culture and society to suppress these behaviors because they lead to highly negative social outcomes. What's the diff?

MrsSmith
06-05-2008, 07:39 PM

Alcoholism is likely to be caused by genetics, as is smoking...both demonstrably run in families far more than sexual orientation, and affect a much larger percentage of the population. They may even be caused by dominant genes instead of the necessarily recessive one that science would like to blame for sexual behavior. :D

MrsSmith
06-05-2008, 07:40 PM

Maybe adult homosexuals prefer young males with hair-whorls rotating correctly and therefore indoctrinate more of them into the lifestyle.

The Night Owl
06-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Maybe adult homosexuals prefer young males with hair-whorls rotating correctly and therefore indoctrinate more of them into the lifestyle.

:rolleyes:

Lanie
06-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Let's say one day in the near future the "gay gene" is found. Shortly thereafter, a "cure" is found. Of course. not everybody will accept this cure. Would all you bleeding heart, rainbow shitting liberals then stop defending gay marriage? Because obviously, it would then be a choice.

I don't think gay marriage hurts anybody, so no. I won't be for breaking them up. I actually see that as interfering with marriage.

MrsSmith
06-05-2008, 09:47 PM
I don't think gay marriage hurts anybody, so no. I won't be for breaking them up. I actually see that as interfering with marriage.

I think he was making the point that gayness will be tested for, and cured. Therefore, no need to "bless" the unions.

Lanie
06-05-2008, 09:52 PM
I think he was making the point that gayness will be tested for, and cured. Therefore, no need to "bless" the unions.

Even though I don't think homosexuality is a choice for most homosexuals, that's not why I support gay marriages. I support gay marriage because I don't think it hurts people.

Rebel Yell
06-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Even though I don't think homosexuality is a choice for most homosexuals, that's not why I support gay marriages. I support gay marriage because I don't think it hurts people.

So, do you have a problem with polygamists (spelling?)? How about bestiality? I guess prostitution is ok, too. What if a guy wants to marry his sex doll? Should the government recognize that? Basically, anything that doesn't hurt anybody else is OK?

FeebMaster
06-06-2008, 09:50 AM
So, do you have a problem with polygamists (spelling?)? How about bestiality? I guess prostitution is ok, too. What if a guy wants to marry his sex doll?

What's wrong with any of those? No one is forcing you to participate.

Should the government recognize that?

No more than any other kind of marriage.

Basically, anything that doesn't hurt anybody else is OK?

Hey, now you're getting it.

Rebel Yell
06-06-2008, 09:59 AM

I have an idea. Why don't we just not regulate anything? Let everybody do as they please.

FeebMaster
06-06-2008, 10:04 AM
I have an idea. Why don't we just not regulate anything? Let everybody do as they please.

Fine with me.

biccat
06-06-2008, 10:07 AM

Sorry Rebel Yell, FeebMaster wants to impose his morality on everyone else, and he will bite and claw his way through any argument to defend that morality.

Of course, he doesn't see it as morality, because moralists are Bad, and he is Good, therefore he cannot be pushing morals.

FeebMaster
06-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Sorry Rebel Yell, FeebMaster wants to impose his morality on everyone else, and he will bite and claw his way through any argument to defend that morality.

Of course, he doesn't see it as morality, because moralists are Bad, and he is Good, therefore he cannot be pushing morals.

lol. More like I don't give a damn what you do with your life, especially if it doesn't affect me. Want to fuck your dog? Knock yourself out. Want to marry your horse? Whatever floats your boat.

Best to leave the government out of it, though.

noonwitch
06-06-2008, 11:31 AM
I don't care what makes people gay. I don't care if my neighbors are gay, or my coworkers, or the teachers at the local schools. Gay or straight, I don't care, as long as they aren't messing with children or my pets.

I do think that what makes anyone who they are is a combination of genetic and environmental factors. An example would be men with a XYY chromosome. They are said to be more prone to violence than men with an XY makeup. But not every man with the XYY chromosome ends up violent, and not every violent man has that factor.

Or an environmental factor, like childhood sexual abuse. Most children who survive it do not grow up to be offenders themselves, but pretty much every offender was sexually abused as a kid.

Personality is a complicated thing.

everyman68
06-06-2008, 03:14 PM
I have no problem with gay marriage but unless you can demonstrate to me that animals can consent to having sex with humans bestiality should remain outlawed...

NoPartisanHacks
06-07-2008, 12:36 AM
The government should stay out of peoples business. Thats all there is to it. If two fruits want to suck dick and get married then thats their business. People who try to force their own fears and doctrines on other peoples civil rights are the people that should be policed. Not two law abiding citizens who want to get married and live their lives regardless of their sexual orientation.

Hey...I don't black people..they are different...let's enslave them

Hey...woman piss me off...they shouldn't vote...

Hey...the Jooooos make me mad...let's put them in camps

Hey...those homos are different...tell them they can't get married

Hey...that tribe isn't my tribe and is on my land...let's cut their arms off

Hey...those redskinned people have some sweet land...let's take it

LOL?

No?

Fuck...nevermind...tell those Homos they can't have civil rights...

I'll sign on

MrsSmith
06-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Well, that was an intelligent post...or whatever. :rolleyes:

Maybe you've missed the simple fact that homosexuals have exactly the same rights as anyone else. What they want is for us to change laws that are hundreds of years old and tradition that is thousands of years old in order to give them special rights. No one is telling them how they can or can't live, but the majority is telling them that their choices are not equal to a man and woman marrying, bringing children into the world, and raising them.

Goldwater
06-07-2008, 03:36 PM
I have no problem with gay marriage but unless you can demonstrate to me that animals can consent to having sex with humans bestiality should remain outlawed...

I hope no one here is making the case that bestiality should be legal. :|

FeebMaster
06-07-2008, 03:38 PM
I hope no one here is making the case that bestiality should be legal. :|

I will, with the caveat that you only fuck animals with the permission of their owner.

Goldwater
06-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I will, with the caveat that you only fuck animals with the permission of their owner.

AIDs was supposedly created from the relations between a man (or woman) and a monkey. You could make the case that we should be careful who we have sex with... but it just isn't pragmatic.

Lanie
06-07-2008, 04:08 PM
lol. More like I don't give a damn what you do with your life, especially if it doesn't affect me. Want to fuck your dog? Knock yourself out. Want to marry your horse? Whatever floats your boat.

Best to leave the government out of it, though.

Okay, cruelty toward animals is where I draw the line. One area where I draw it anyway.

gator
06-07-2008, 04:25 PM
The government should stay out of peoples business. Thats all there is to it. If two fruits want to suck dick and get married then thats their business. People who try to force their own fears and doctrines on other peoples civil rights are the people that should be policed. Not two law abiding citizens who want to get married and live their lives regardless of their sexual orientation.

Hey...I don't black people..they are different...let's enslave them

Hey...woman piss me off...they shouldn't vote...

Hey...the Jooooos make me mad...let's put them in camps

Hey...those homos are different...tell them they can't get married

Hey...that tribe isn't my tribe and is on my land...let's cut their arms off

Hey...those redskinned people have some sweet land...let's take it

LOL?

No?

Fuck...nevermind...tell those Homos they can't have civil rights...

I'll sign on

Black people were enslaved because they were easily captured by their fellow Blacks and sold into slavery.

The people that put Joooos into camps got their asses beat pretty badly.

Women were not denied the right to vote because they pissed the men off. The men felt it was their responsibility to made important decisions and that changed a long time ago with the realization that domocracy should be the decision of everyone.

If you are going to make stupid politically correct statements at least get your facts straight.

Eyelids
06-07-2008, 05:26 PM
AIDs was supposedly created from the relations between a man (or woman) and a monkey. You could make the case that we should be careful who we have sex with... but it just isn't pragmatic.

Somebody ate a monkey without cooking it fully is the far more likely scenario.

If there is a gay gene curing somebody would be impossible. You cant ex post facto mess around with somebodies genes. The real issue is what amounts to "vaccinations."

God you guys are ignorant.

MrsSmith
06-07-2008, 08:40 PM

If there is a gay gene curing somebody would be impossible. You cant ex post facto mess around with somebodies genes. The real issue is what amounts to "vaccinations."

Says the guy who can't spell or punctuate... :rolleyes::D

Goldwater
06-07-2008, 09:02 PM

But you can never be too sure, those monkeys are pretty fine.

Rebel Yell
06-09-2008, 12:05 PM

That's why it is a "what if" question. I think you smart people call it hypothetical. Maybe you'll learn it in a later semester. By the way, what are you majoring in?

noonwitch
06-09-2008, 01:11 PM

AIDS came monkeys, but not necessarily through human sexual contact with monkeys. Monkey kidneys were used to make polio vaccines-tainted monkeys were used at a lab in Stanleytown (when the lab ran out of the tested, disease-free monkeys, they started using non-tested local monkeys), not far from where the first HIV/AIDS cases were discovered, in the late 50s, early 60s.

Where the Rev.Wrights of the world get it wrong is in blaming the US for this. It falls under the responsibility of the organization (and it was not the US government) that was using the facility for producing the vaccine for using untested monkeys and then vaccinating the locals who didn't know to ask questions. There's a documentary about it-Salk was aware of the problem with the tainted vaccine, he was highly critical of the german doctor who used it, and had likely connected the dots before he died, as he was working on research into possible vaccinations for AIDS/HIV.

I think the documentary is called "The Orgin Of AIDS". I saw it on cable about a year or so ago.

megimoo
06-09-2008, 02:31 PM
That's why it is a "what if" question. I think you smart people call it hypothetical. Maybe you'll learn it in a later semester. By the way, what are you majoring in?Mastering Autonomic Reflexes,breath in breath out !

megimoo
06-09-2008, 02:35 PM
There is no 'Gay Gene' it's all about choice !

Eyelids
06-09-2008, 03:16 PM
You dont put a space before an exclamation point megimoo.

linda22003
06-09-2008, 03:20 PM
You dont put a space before an exclamation point megimoo.

But you do put an apostrophe in "don't" and should have a comma between "point" and "Megimoo", so what is the point of that observation?

LibraryLady
06-09-2008, 03:30 PM

Although I don't really believe in a "gay gene", this doesn't make sense. There is a couple that live a few blocks from me. Both are "normal" but three of their children are afflicted with albinism. Yes, I studied those little 4 square things in genetics but occasionally the 25% chance increases.

LibraryLady
06-09-2008, 03:34 PM
But you do put an apostrophe in "don't" and should have a comma between "point" and "Megimoo", so what is the point of that observation?

Don't look at MSNBC online right now. There's a glaring spelling error on their main page.

Zafod
06-09-2008, 03:57 PM
wow! Lids is so passionate about the title issue that he has turned this thread into a grammer leason :rolleyes:

megimoo
06-09-2008, 04:09 PM
You dont put a space before an exclamation point megimoo.punk-tuation is your name, eating leaves and bark is your game, !

wilbur
06-16-2008, 06:52 PM
More evidence that sexuality is fixed at birth, and not 'learned'.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/sex/dn14146-gay-brains-structured-like-those-of-the-opposite-sex.html?feedId=online-news_rss20

Gay brains structured like those of the opposite sex

Brain scans have provided the most compelling evidence yet that being gay or straight is a biologically fixed trait.

The scans reveal that in gay people, key structures of the brain governing emotion, mood, anxiety and aggressiveness resemble those in straight people of the opposite sex.

The differences are likely to have been forged in the womb or in early infancy, says Ivanka Savic, who conducted the study at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden.

"This is the most robust measure so far of cerebral differences between homosexual and heterosexual subjects," she says.

Previous studies have also shown differences in brain architecture and activity between gay and straight people, but most relied on people's responses to sexuality driven cues that could have been learned, such as rating the attractiveness of male or female faces.

more at link...

The Night Owl
06-16-2008, 06:57 PM

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/sex/dn14146-gay-brains-structured-like-those-of-the-opposite-sex.html?feedId=online-news_rss20

Amazing... but not suprising.

Eyelids
06-16-2008, 10:58 PM

megimoo ! mispunctuates every sentence he writes. I seriously wonder if he knows English.

biccat
06-16-2008, 11:00 PM

Homosexuals are mentally deformed? No kidding. :rolleyes:

Eyelids
06-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Homosexuals are mentally deformed? No kidding. :rolleyes:

So are people who fuck their cousins.

/nudge.

lacarnut
06-16-2008, 11:17 PM
So are people who fuck their cousins.

/nudge.

That would be the black race. Correct

lacarnut
06-16-2008, 11:23 PM
punk-tuation is your name, eating leaves and bark is your game, !

Very good. That deserves 5 stars.

jediab
06-17-2008, 10:18 AM

This could re-enforce the old belief that homosexuality is a mental disorder.