PDA

View Full Version : Hassle in Haight over McDonald's menu change

bijou
09-06-2010, 11:20 AM
What would seemingly be an issue of capitalism and supply and demand in any other city, or any other neighborhood in San Francisco, has instead morphed into another battle between merchants and the homeless in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood:

The McDonald's at the corner of Haight and Stanyan streets eliminated its Dollar Menu about a month ago, making the items on it too expensive for the people who spend the better part of their day on the sidewalk in front.

Street people who for years have depended on the McDonald's to eat say it's become a de facto sit/lie ordinance. But the franchise owner says she's just trying to make a little extra money.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/09/05/BA7H1F4J2T.DTL#ixzz0ylNEE1tL

PoliCon
09-06-2010, 11:50 AM
maybe they're tired of your homeless asses dirtying the place up.

hazlnut
09-06-2010, 12:17 PM
maybe they're tired of your homeless asses dirtying the place up.

What would Jesus do?

djones520
09-06-2010, 12:20 PM
What would Jesus do?

Who gives a shit? I didn't realize companies had to make business decisions based on the Bible. :rolleyes:

Apache
09-06-2010, 12:25 PM
What would Jesus do?

He'd tell them to get off their asses and find a job.

PoliCon
09-06-2010, 01:04 PM
What would Jesus do?II Thessalonians 3:10

Odysseus
09-06-2010, 01:21 PM
What would Jesus do?

Multiply the burger buns and fish sandwiches.

Besides, they probably got tired of being told to take FoxNews off the TV in the dining area. Will the DUmmies complain that they now have to pay more for the "garbage" that they get at McDonald's between rants about the TV?

warpig
09-06-2010, 01:29 PM
I don't do McD's because of some of the political issues they support, anti-gun comes to mind.

Apache
09-06-2010, 01:38 PM
II Thessalonians 3:10

That's what I said....:rolleyes:

NJCardFan
09-06-2010, 02:10 PM
What would Jesus do?

Why don't you go up there and start feeding them. Stop beating your gums and go.

enslaved1
09-06-2010, 03:42 PM
A whole lot of fast food places have dollar menus (Taco Bell's 99 cent chicken burrito fills you up more and tastes a lot better than a McDouble). Don't tell me MickyD's is the only fast food joint in the neighborhood. It's a simple, capitalist, business decision. Evidently all those DUer's weren't generating enough business.
As far as the WWJD debate, believers are encouraged to take care of the poor and hungry, but I recall nothing ordering businesses to take care of people at the cost of their own ability to stay open.

noonwitch
09-07-2010, 09:13 AM
A whole lot of fast food places have dollar menus (Taco Bell's 99 cent chicken burrito fills you up more and tastes a lot better than a McDouble). Don't tell me MickyD's is the only fast food joint in the neighborhood. It's a simple, capitalist, business decision. Evidently all those DUer's weren't generating enough business.
As far as the WWJD debate, believers are encouraged to take care of the poor and hungry, but I recall nothing ordering businesses to take care of people at the cost of their own ability to stay open.

BK and Wendy's still have their dollar menu. You can get a Whopper Jr, which is a pretty good sized burger.

Gingersnap
09-07-2010, 10:11 AM
What would Jesus do?

Direct them to one of the numerous free hot meals available throughout the city, I expect. A couple of investigative guys out here did a week on the streets of downtown Denver. They wanted to find out if it was true that "homeless" people were starving and freezing to death (as had been broadly hinted in a series of Denver Post editorials).

They found instead that you could only starve to death in Denver if your jaws had been wired shut. The earliest hot meals were served at 6:00 a.m. and the latest around 7:00 p.m. There were dozens of choices all within easy walking distance of the usual pan-handling hot zones. There were even more choices for those who preferred cold foods like sandwiches, fruit, milk, soda, snacks, and bottled water. The latest those items were available was about 10 p.m. on week nights.

The shelter situation was pretty much the same. Easily available and many, many beds went unused every night even in cold conditions.

I find it hard to believe that San Francisco has fewer free food options for the homeless than the bitter clingers in Denver. :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
09-07-2010, 10:38 AM
People like Hazlpussy forget the old adage that God helps those who help themselves. Sitting around waiting for a handout isn't helping yourself.

Odysseus
09-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Wait a minute! Didn't those homeless people vote for Obama? Didn't they choose hope and change? Why isn't Hazlnut fulfilling the promise of the Obama campaign and providing them with hope and change? I know that hope is in short supply among liberals right now, but they should still be able to spare the change.

Zathras
09-07-2010, 09:13 PM
What would Jesus do?

Hit you with a fucking lightning bolt and turn your cowardly ass into a pile of smoking ash.

Gingersnap
09-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Hit you with a fucking lightning bolt and turn your cowardly ass into a pile of smoking ash.

Okay, that made me laugh. :D

Odysseus
09-08-2010, 12:02 AM

I thought that Hazlnut considered religion to be superstition. Did I miss his conversion?

Sonnabend
09-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Hey Hazlnutjob, since you are so concerned why dont you invite them over and feed them at your place?

Sonnabend
09-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Zathras: you've been around me too long...you are DEFINITELY showing signs of an Aussie sense of humour.:D

FlaGator
09-08-2010, 09:48 AM
People like Hazlpussy forget the old adage that God helps those who help themselves. Sitting around waiting for a handout isn't helping yourself.

Could you show me where in the Bible that is confirmed?

Rockntractor
09-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Could you show me where in the Bible that is confirmed?

It could be said that it was implied in the parable of the talents. Matthew 25:14-30