PDA

View Full Version : Petraeus Warns Against Church's Koran Burning

djones520
09-07-2010, 07:11 AM
A Florida church's plan to burn Korans on Sept. 11 isn't doing the troops in Afghanistan any favors, Gen. David Petraeus said Monday.

Hundreds of Afghans protested Monday in Kabul over the decision by the Gainesville, Fla.-based Dove World Outreach Center to burn copies of what Muslims consider the word of God.

Petraeus said he's concerned that the protests could spread across the country.

"It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort in Afghanistan. It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems. Not just here, but everywhere in the world we are engaged with the Islamic community," Petraeus said in a statement provided to Fox News.

Though Dove World Outreach Center has been denied a permit to hold a bonfire, the Koran burning is still scheduled to proceed on Saturday. The burning -- set to mark nine years since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks -- follows a campaign last year in which the church distributed T-shirts that said "Islam is of the Devil."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09/06/petraeus-warns-churchs-koran-burning/

He's absolutely right. We're in the middle of a massive COIN operation in Afghanistan. We're trying to win the hearts of the Afghani people, and this church is giving the Taliban and Al Queada more recruiting ammunition.

We all understand they have the right to do this, no one is arguing that point. But just because you have the right, doesn't mean it is right. Wait... haven't I heard that before regarding something in New York?

This event will put our troops in more harm. It works against our efforts in Afghanistan. The leaders of this church are acting incredibly stupid. They're putting their useless symbolic gesture over the lives of Americans.

Jfor
09-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Anything we do gives them a reason.

PoliCon
09-07-2010, 08:35 AM
It's clearly a politican and a publicity stunt.

FlaGator
09-07-2010, 08:57 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09/06/petraeus-warns-churchs-koran-burning/

He's absolutely right. We're in the middle of a massive COIN operation in Afghanistan. We're trying to win the hearts of the Afghani people, and this church is giving the Taliban and Al Queada more recruiting ammunition.

We all understand they have the right to do this, no one is arguing that point. But just because you have the right, doesn't mean it is right. Wait... haven't I heard that before regarding something in New York?

This event will put our troops in more harm. It works against our efforts in Afghanistan. The leaders of this church are acting incredibly stupid. They're putting their useless symbolic gesture over the lives of Americans.

All you say is true, but isn't one of the points of our military is to defend the right for groups like this to take just such actions? I think that what they are doing is wrong from a social and Christian point of view, yet our laws give them every right to do what they are doing.

djones520
09-07-2010, 09:10 AM
As I said, no one is questining their right to do this.

What is being questioned is if it is right. At what point do these people say that this is more important then the potential damage it could cause?

Jfor
09-07-2010, 09:23 AM

What is being questioned is if it is right. At what point do these people say that this is more important then the potential damage it could cause?

So what you are saying is ALL Americans should just kill themselves because by us being alive, it gives the muslims reason to want to harm us and our troops?

djones520
09-07-2010, 09:36 AM
So what you are saying is ALL Americans should just kill themselves because by us being alive, it gives the muslims reason to want to harm us and our troops?

And such a simplistic view of Islam isn't doing anyone any good either. :rolleyes:

I'm in a country that's 80% Muslim, and they love us.

FlaGator
09-07-2010, 09:49 AM

My step son (or soon to be step son) is deployed in Heider Iraq so I am worried about him and the actions that may be directed his way because of this church. That being said, at what point to you curtail your own personal freedoms for the sake of not offending your enemy? Shouldn't our troops become equally as fired up towards the enemy because of restraint being asked of the people who they defend?

What we seem to be saying is that we should bend over backwards to placate the enemy instead of telling the enemy that we are Americans, these are our freedoms and we will kill you if you attempt to suppress what we see as our God given rights.

Are they afraid of offending Americans when they cut of the heads of people who are only guilty of not being Muslim? Do they worry about the safety of those who are in an unsafe environment to begin with?

To me the question is really why don't they fear our response to their actions? If some church thousands of miles away burns some of their holy books shouldn't the enemy fear to take the life of one soldier because of the response they know will come?

djones520
09-07-2010, 09:57 AM
My step son (or soon to be step son) is deployed in Heider Iraq so I am worried about him and the actions that may be directed his way because of this church. That being said, at what point to you curtail your own personal freedoms for the sake of not offending your enemy? Shouldn't our troops become equally as fired up towards the enemy because of restraint being asked of the people who they defend?

What we seem to be saying is that we should bend over backwards to placate the enemy instead of telling the enemy that we are Americans, these are our freedoms and we will kill you if you attempt to suppress what we see as our God given rights.

Are they afraid of offending Americans when they cut of the heads of people who are only guilty of not being Muslim? Do they worry about the safety of those who are in an unsafe environment to begin with?

To me the question is really why don't they fear our response to their actions? If some church thousands of miles away burns some of their holy books shouldn't the enemy fear to take the life of one soldier because of the response they know will come?

Bending over backward? You hold daily bonfires where you toast some marshmallows over a burning Koran?

I would think it would be obvious by now, but Muslims don't look at the Koran like you guys look at the Bible. To them it is an inviolate thing. To them desecration of it is something to go to war over. It is a part of their culture. Plain and simple. Whether or not we agree with that, it is how it is. From the time they are born, that is what they are taught. That is their life.

We are trying to make these people are friends. We are trying to show them America is not the evil asshole fuckwads that the Taliban and Al Qaeda are painting us as. What better way to show them that by committing one of the most horrible acts possible to their culture? :rolleyes:

It is counter to the war effort. No one is asking you to bend over and wash their feet for them. No one is even asking you to respect them. What we are asking is that you not go out of your way to piss them the fuck off when we're doing everything we can to turn them against our enemies.

linda22003
09-07-2010, 10:07 AM

No, just idiots like this Fred Phelps wanna-be in Florida and his cracker congregation.

Bailey
09-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Bending over backward? You hold daily bonfires where you toast some marshmallows over a burning Koran?

I would think it would be obvious by now, but Muslims don't look at the Koran like you guys look at the Bible. To them it is an inviolate thing. To them desecration of it is something to go to war over. It is a part of their culture. Plain and simple. Whether or not we agree with that, it is how it is. From the time they are born, that is what they are taught. That is their life.

We are trying to make these people are friends. We are trying to show them America is not the evil asshole fuckwads that the Taliban and Al Qaeda are painting us as. What better way to show them that by committing one of the most horrible acts possible to their culture? :rolleyes:

It is counter to the war effort. No one is asking you to bend over and wash their feet for them. No one is even asking you to respect them. What we are asking is that you not go out of your way to piss them the fuck off when we're doing everything we can to turn them against our enemies.

If I had a dollar for every pic I have seen of those dogs stepping, burning and in general defacing our flag I'd be rich. They can take their gutter religion and Koran and jam it.

FlaGator
09-07-2010, 10:13 AM

I was not looking at this as a Christian, the fact that they see the Koran differently than I see the Bible doesn't change what I believe. What I believe is this wouldn't be an issue if they were as fearful of our response as we seem to be of theirs.

hazlnut
09-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Petraeus: Dove World Outreach Center's 'Burn a Koran Day' endangers troops (http://www.csmonitor.com/World/terrorism-security/2010/0907/Petraeus-Dove-World-Outreach-Center-s-Burn-a-Koran-Day-endangers-troops)

The United States' top commander in Afghanistan has warned that a planned Koran-burning event in Florida could put US troops in danger.

Gen. David Petraeus added his voice to mounting protests from both the US and abroad over the Dove World Outreach Center's plans to burn Korans on Saturday to mark the anniversary of the September 11 terror attacks. His comments ratcheted up the pressure on once-obscure pastor Terry Jones to call off the event.

The controversy comes as some 120,000 US and allied troops are waging a counter-insurgency campaign against the Taliban in Afghanistan, a campaign whose goals include winning support for the US-backed government from the largely Muslim population.

Who are these nitwits that twist Christianity into something almost unrecognizable? 'Burn a Koran Day'??? Sick, sick people calling themselves followers of Jesus.--They are the price we pay for 'freedom of expression'.

This 'my religion' or 'my take on God is better than yours' is the most destructive idea on our planet.

Besides, everyone knows only the Pope can talk to God.;);)

Wei Wu Wei
09-07-2010, 11:10 AM

lol yes Muslims are willing to suicide-bomb themselves because they don't like Americans Being Alive

Wei Wu Wei
09-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Petraeus: Dove World Outreach Center's 'Burn a Koran Day' endangers troops (http://www.csmonitor.com/World/terrorism-security/2010/0907/Petraeus-Dove-World-Outreach-Center-s-Burn-a-Koran-Day-endangers-troops)

Who are these nitwits that twist Christianity into something almost unrecognizable? 'Burn a Koran Day'??? Sick, sick people calling themselves followers of Jesus.--They are the price we pay for 'freedom of expression'.

This 'my religion' or 'my take on God is better than yours' is the most destructive idea on our planet.

Besides, everyone knows only the Pope can talk to God.;);)

Is it really that surprising? What with all of the anti-Islam rhetoric out there, people feeling scared and lost and defensive and every media outlet is telling them that the treat is coming from Muslims.

Of course people are going to act this way. Anyone who is surprised by this just needs to open their eyes, watch a few hours of television, it should be obvious.

linda22003
09-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Is it really that surprising? What with all of the anti-Islam rhetoric out there, people feeling scared and lost and defensive and every media outlet is telling them that the treat is coming from Muslims.

What kind of treats are coming from Muslims? Are they connected with Eid? Are they like candy corn? That's my favorite.

Wei Wu Wei
09-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Cultural threats, threats to our "way of life", and so on.

It's meant to be ambiguous for a reason, it appeals to the greatest number of people who are experiencing various shades of existential anxiety.

As long as something can be identified as the threat, rather than the threat being objectless as it is in anxiety, people will prefer to fear the known threat rather than be anxious about the unknown.

linda22003
09-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Cultural threats, threats to our "way of life", and so on.

Oh, "threats". That makes more sense. In your original post you said "treats", which gives an entirely different impression.

Wei Wu Wei
09-07-2010, 12:24 PM
hahah pretty funny mistake

PoliCon
09-07-2010, 06:54 PM

Of course people are going to act this way. Anyone who is surprised by this just needs to open their eyes, watch a few hours of television, it should be obvious.

Anti-muslim rhetoric. You guys see anti- this or anti-that everywhere. :rolleyes:

PoliCon
09-07-2010, 06:56 PM
You know a real and tangible difference between Christians and muslims? When a "Christian" group pulls a bullshit stunt - Christians call them on it.

lacarnut
09-08-2010, 12:55 AM

If we have not won over the hearts of the Afghan people in 7 years, we need to get out. The government is corrupt and the Afghans do not want to come together as a united country.

I don't care whether Koran books are burned or not. They have a right to do it; it is stupid and a political ploy. I also think the General has been drinking the media kool-aid with his remarks. The Taliban and Al Queada want to kill us and that will not change one iota. Putting more Americans in harms way is baloney.

Zathras
09-08-2010, 01:42 AM
http://chzderp.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/0b389b6a-024a-44e4-a481-9049cd807b87.jpg

Fixed for accuracy....again

Oh, and Derpnut, you're showing yourself to be a fucking coward every time you post and not respond to the call out in the Dome.

lacarnut
09-08-2010, 01:55 AM
Oh, "threats". That makes more sense. In your original post you said "treats", which gives an entirely different impression.

With We We, it more like a trick than a treat.

Sonnabend
09-08-2010, 08:23 AM
DJones: they kill because they can. They need no excuse, or they will manufacture one. I am for this Koran burning for one main reason: Let's see if they have as much tolerance as we are expected to have.

I am getting sick and tired of this "Mustn't upset the Muslims"....if they dont like it, tough shit. If they start with more violence and more deaths then the church will have been proven correct and Islam is everything we say it is.

I will also add that the Kuta bombing in 2002 was not because of any "insult to islam", it was because we helped a nation gain independence and the Islamic nutjobs in Aceh didnt like it.

202 people died.

I can't speak for US citizens, but we Aussies are not so slowly losing patience at this continued Islamic assault upon our way of life and our freedoms.

We keep getting told "Islam is peaceful" Let's see them fucking prove it.

Let's see this koran get burned with not one life lost, not one embassy burned, not one death threat.

Let's see these "moderate muslims" stand up and defend the right of free speech..even when it isnt what they want.Time for them to put up...or SHUT UP.

Sonnabend
09-08-2010, 08:44 AM
There have already been protests in the Afghan capital Kabul and in Indonesia - the world's largest Muslim-majority country - against his plans while Iran has warned it could unleash an uncontrolled Muslim response.
Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/muslim-cleric-warns-of-koran-burning-consequences/story-e6frfku0-1225916107710#ixzz0ywQx9NU3

Translation: dont offend us or people will die.

Wei Wu Wei
09-08-2010, 12:17 PM
DJones: they kill because they can. They need no excuse, or they will manufacture one. I am for this Koran burning for one main reason: Let's see if they have as much tolerance as we are expected to have.

I am getting sick and tired of this "Mustn't upset the Muslims"....if they dont like it, tough shit. If they start with more violence and more deaths then the church will have been proven correct and Islam is everything we say it is.

I will also add that the Kuta bombing in 2002 was not because of any "insult to islam", it was because we helped a nation gain independence and the Islamic nutjobs in Aceh didnt like it.

202 people died.

I can't speak for US citizens, but we Aussies are not so slowly losing patience at this continued Islamic assault upon our way of life and our freedoms.

We keep getting told "Islam is peaceful" Let's see them fucking prove it.

Let's see this koran get burned with not one life lost, not one embassy burned, not one death threat.

Let's see these "moderate muslims" stand up and defend the right of free speech..even when it isnt what they want.Time for them to put up...or SHUT UP.

If Tea Party people and Conservatives are not racist, let's see if we can go one week checking all the major right-wing websites WITHOUT ONE RACIST COMMENT being posted. until then all you racists need to SHUT UP!!

Wei Wu Wei
09-08-2010, 12:31 PM
It's such a ridiculous standard to expect a group to totally police itself, and even assumes much about the solidary of such a group. If it only takes one example to condemn an entire religion then Christianity has some problems.

PoliCon
09-08-2010, 12:38 PM
If Tea Party people and Conservatives are not racist, let's see if we can go one week checking all the major right-wing websites WITHOUT ONE RACIST COMMENT being posted. until then all you racists need to SHUT UP!!

Difference is - fucktard - Conservatives stand up against racism. Progressives have institutionalized it.

PoliCon
09-08-2010, 12:39 PM
It's such a ridiculous standard to expect a group to totally police itself, and even assumes much about the solidary of such a group. If it only takes one example to condemn an entire religion then Christianity has some problems.

ONE example??? Holy fuck are you kidding me???

lacarnut
09-08-2010, 03:48 PM

The racists mantra by left wing liberal dip-shits like you is not working anymore. In fact, it is backfiring on Democraps.

Sonnabend
09-08-2010, 07:58 PM

Islam is a RELIGION.

Not a race.

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc329/all-in-flynn/failboat.jpg

MeneTekelParsin
09-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Has anyone considered the positive consequences of this action? The negatives are obvious but I for one like to make lemonade when given lemons. I look at what the President says about the ground zero Mosque and compare it to what he says about the Koran burning and it's clear to me (and should be clear to anyone) that he, and the rest of his progressive friends, are biased against Christians. The NYC Mosque is clearly meant to be an insult, on behalf of Islam, to all Americans just as this Koran burning is meant to be an insult to Muslims. One is treated as a group exercising their religious freedom while the other is condemned. This pastor is bringing to light a serious issue in our society and, although I disagree with his motives, I am somewhat grateful.

lacarnut
09-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Has anyone considered the positive consequences of this action? The negatives are obvious but I for one like to make lemonade when given lemons. I look at what the President says about the ground zero Mosque and compare it to what he says about the Koran burning and it's clear to me (and should be clear to anyone) that he, and the rest of his progressive friends, are biased against Christians. The NYC Mosque is clearly meant to be an insult, on behalf of Islam, to all Americans just as this Koran burning is meant to be an insult to Muslims. One is treated as a group exercising their religious freedom while the other is condemned. This pastor is bringing to light a serious issue in our society and, although I disagree with his motives, I am somewhat grateful.

Sounds logical to me.

In fact, I am tired of fucking with these terrorists. Let's just make a glass factory out of Iran and Syria.

Molon Labe
09-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Islam is a RELIGION.

Not a race.

I always wonder why the left never seems to understand that.

Discriminatory bigot, Yes.... but not racist.

Molon Labe
09-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, and other senior military officials who say they fear images of a burning Quran could be used to drum up anger toward the U.S. and potentially endanger troops.

Seems the General undestands the concept of blowback. Doesn't sound to me like this is blaming America....it's just good common sense foreign policy.