PDA

View Full Version : Traditional flu shots now include H1N1 vaccine in AZ

jendf
09-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm assuming this is going to be the same in most areas of the country.

I don't get flu shots anymore because I reacted badly to one a few years ago. Been flu shot-free for years and don't regret it at all.

Traditional flu shots now include H1N1 vaccine in AZ (http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/state/traditional-flu-shots-now-include-h1n1-vaccine)

By: Jodie Heisner

PHOENIX - Flu season is just around the corner and flu shots are now available in Arizona.

Many flu clinics open Monday, but what you may not realize is that this year’s flu shot has been created to protect you from more than just the seasonal flu.

This year the shot offers protection from H3N2 (seasonal flu), B/Brisbane and H1N1. There is no longer a need for a second “swine flu” shot because this vaccine already covers it.

During last season's swine flu scare, many people opted not to get the vaccine due to fears about it’s newness. Dr. Annie Nguyen with Cardon Children’s Hospital says the Centers for Disease control have determined there are very few adverse effects from the vaccine and that it is better to include it with this year’s seasonal dose.

Dr. Nguyen says if you are looking for a vaccine without the H1N1 component you are out of luck. This year it’s all or nothing.

She says children over 6 months, pregnant women and the elderly should all be vaccinated. Children under 6 months and those with allergies to chicken eggs should not be vaccinated.

Major pharmacies and most doctors offices have the shots available for patients.

Will you get this year’s vaccine?

ralph wiggum
09-07-2010, 02:14 PM
I stopped getting flu shots because I kept getting walking pneumonia, three years in a row.

Unfortunately I'll have to get one this year because of my job. :mad:

jendf
09-07-2010, 02:20 PM
I stopped getting flu shots because I kept getting walking pneumonia, three years in a row.

Unfortunately I'll have to get one this year because of my job. :mad:

I got one a few years ago because it was free (through my employer's health insurance) and I was available to get it.

Big mistake. I was sick as a dog for a week. I felt just awful. I think I would have rather risked getting the regular flu over that.

Haven't gone near a vaccination since and I haven't had the flu either. I'm glad my employer doesn't require me to get a flu shot.

ralph wiggum
09-07-2010, 02:31 PM
I got one a few years ago because it was free (through my employer's health insurance) and I was available to get it.

Big mistake. I was sick as a dog for a week. I felt just awful. I think I would have rather risked getting the regular flu over that.

Haven't gone near a vaccination since and I haven't had the flu either. I'm glad my employer doesn't require me to get a flu shot.

Mine were always free at the hospital I worked at. Not that I was ever around patients, nor am I now. The organization I work with now has required them this year.

djones520
09-07-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure if I'm going to have to get one this year or not. I'd really like to not get it, but the AF will still probably make it happen, even out here.

Gingersnap
09-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Finland has suspended the H1N1 vaccination over narcolepsy issues in children.