PDA

View Full Version : Fortune-Telling Wednesday!

Gingersnap
09-08-2010, 09:59 AM
We'll stay in the low 80s or highish 70s through the weekend with possible T-storms every afternoon. This is good since Hippie Haven is burning up right now and I need all that to be cleaned by the end of the month when the BFF and I attend the Fall Festival.

TOTD: Have you ever had your fortune told? Ever been to a psychic? Think there's something to the I Ching? Do you read your horoscope? Ever had a natal chart drawn up? Have you ever had a tarot or rune reading? Had a palm reading? Had your handwriting analyzed? Consulted a dog psychic?

Let's hear it: for fun at a party or out of curiosity, tell us your experiences with fortune-telling! :D

noonwitch
09-08-2010, 10:14 AM
It's chilly, here, in the upper 50s/low 60s. A taste of fall, and an excuse to wear my new fall outfit.

TOTD: I used to read tarot cards for people, sometimes at parties for money. I still do occasionally for my sister and a few people (pro bono), but mostly, I just do it to mess with their heads. I am a Scorpio, after all.:D
I went to a psychic once in NYC. She was a palm reader. She knew stuff about me she shouldn't have known. Better yet, she told one of the women we were with that there was another woman involved with her man, and she laughed it off. When we got back to the hotel room, she called home and asked her boyfriend "What about this other woman I heard about" in a joking way, and he responded "How did you find out".

I used to shop at the Mayflower Bookstore in Berkely, which is a new age/occult store and the owner is pretty well-known around metro Detroit as a good psychic. I was talking with him in there one day, and he was trying to guess things about me. He told me I was really psychic, and for $120 he could do an hour long reading with me. I told him if I was so psychic, why did I need to pay him to tell me anything. He laughed and asked if I was a Scorpio. :)

Rockntractor
09-08-2010, 10:21 AM
TOTD: I eat Chinese, have read their cookies and I stayed at a Holiday inn!:confused:

Gingersnap
09-08-2010, 10:30 AM
It's chilly, here, in the upper 50s/low 60s. A taste of fall, and an excuse to wear my new fall outfit.

TOTD: I used to read tarot cards for people, sometimes at parties for money. I still do occasionally for my sister and a few people (pro bono), but mostly, I just do it to mess with their heads.

I collect tarot decks and I've studied tarot pretty extensively for years. I don't believe there's anything magical to the cards but it's an interesting way of examining problems or questions from angles I wouldn't normally think about.

I do "readings" for fun at parties but that's just a cold reading skill (or not so cold, if I know the person well). ;)

Rebel Yell
09-08-2010, 10:39 AM
TOTD: I eat Chinese, have read their cookies and I stayed at a Holiday inn!:confused:

The last time I ate Chinese, my fortune cookie was empty. Is that a bad sign?

Rockntractor
09-08-2010, 10:40 AM
The last time I ate Chinese, my fortune cookie was empty. Is that a bad sign?

No news is good news!:D

Hawkgirl
09-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I did go to a few people...nothing I took seriously...a palm reading, a tarot reading...when I was younger.

A high school friend of mine is really into it...and she works to pay off her telephone bills...Remember when "Cleo" was hot...and later found to be a fraud? She calls psychic lines and truly believes them. Well I haven't spoken to her in years...I hope she's still not investing all her money on them.

As for horoscopes...I don't read my daily ones...but I do think the personality traits do define the people well....at least for me. I'm an Aries and I act like an Aries.

lacarnut
09-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Never been to a fortune teller. Might be fun to go to New Orleans to see one.

Gingersnap
09-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Never been to a fortune teller. Might be fun to go to New Orleans to see one.

The BFF is hot to try one in Boulder at the end of the month. They will turn out for the Festival and she's decided to get her 20 minutes of psychic phenomena then. I plan to eat junk food and get a henna tattoo while all that's going on. :p

Rockntractor
09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
The BFF is hot to try one in Boulder at the end of the month. They will turn out for the Festival and she's decided to get her 20 minutes of psychic phenomena then. I plan to eat junk food and get a henna tattoo while all that's going on. :p

Do they stretch your skin like when you do embroidery?:confused:

Shannon
09-08-2010, 12:51 PM
It's raining here today. I would like to be at home with wooby and a book.

TOTD: Not really. A palm reader "in training" read my palm when I was about 19. She said that I would be a teacher of some sort (not so much), have two kids (no so much), live a long life (doubtful), and have multiple marriages (yeah, okay:p).

Wei Wu Wei
09-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I used to do psychic readings and whatnot as a party trick in college. Got some books on cold reading, very extroverted, pretty fun stuff.

noonwitch
09-08-2010, 01:08 PM
I did go to a few people...nothing I took seriously...a palm reading, a tarot reading...when I was younger.

A high school friend of mine is really into it...and she works to pay off her telephone bills...Remember when "Cleo" was hot...and later found to be a fraud? She calls psychic lines and truly believes them. Well I haven't spoken to her in years...I hope she's still not investing all her money on them.

As for horoscopes...I don't read my daily ones...but I do think the personality traits do define the people well....at least for me. I'm an Aries and I act like an Aries.

I have a friend who will tell me how psychic I am one minute, then argue with me about my interpretation of a dream she had, because my interpretation was not what she wanted to hear. Specifically, she thought a guy she hadn't seen in 20 years was trying to contact her through her dreams. I told her that her mind was telling her to let go of him.

Personally, I don't know how a psychic reading over the phone or computer would work. I have the person I'm reading for shuffle the tarot cards, so that they can get their "vibes" into the cards (at least that's what I tell them they are doing). It's not about being psychic, anyways, it's about what the subject projects onto the cards and how much I know about human psychology.

Gingersnap
09-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Specifically, she thought a guy she hadn't seen in 20 years was trying to contact her through her dreams. I told her that her mind was telling her to let go of him.

Can't people just use Facebook for this kind of thing? :confused:

noonwitch
09-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Can't people just use Facebook for this kind of thing? :confused:

She's my only friend from college (or high school, for that matter) who isn't on facebook. She rarely listens to my advice, which is why she is living in poverty on the south side of Chicago (although I advised her to stay in Chicago and not to return to Detroit, because they have commuter trains).

I'm like Cassandra, nobody ever listens to my advice or warnings.

Bubba Dawg
09-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Fortune cookies is all.

True story. On a date I took a girl to a Chinese restaurant. At the end, her fortune cookie had no fortune in it. Mine had two. I gave her one of them. We laughed. Never went out again.