PDA

View Full Version : Sheriffs want lists of patients using painkillers

warpig
09-10-2010, 07:56 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/09/08/669723/lists-of-pain-pillpatients-sought.html

Sheriffs in North Carolina want access to state computer records identifying anyone with prescriptions for powerful painkillers and other controlled substances.

The state sheriff's association pushed the idea Tuesday, saying the move would help them make drug arrests and curb a growing problem of prescription drug abuse. But patient advocates say opening up people's medicine cabinets to law enforcement would deal a devastating blow to privacy rights.

Allowing sheriffs' offices and other law enforcement officials to use the state's computerized list would vastly widen the circle of people with access to information on prescriptions written for millions of people. As it stands now, doctors and pharmacists are the main users.

Sonnabend
09-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Breach of privacy. Can't see any doctor allowing this...it's a violation of medical records.

Shannon
09-10-2010, 09:16 AM
F you, Johnny Law. Talk about ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Rockntractor
09-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Some how these law enforcement officials are better educated than doctors on who should and shouldn't receive pain medication? I wasn't aware that 6 years of medical school was a requirement for law enforcement now days!:rolleyes:

Gingersnap
09-10-2010, 10:04 AM
I had the idea that it was the children and grandchildren of painkiller patients who were the main illegal users of these drugs. So Granny has a Vicodin habit - who cares?

It's Granny's kids and grand-kids who are doing something illegal, right? :confused:

FlaGator
09-10-2010, 10:22 AM
I am pretty certain that this would be a breach of the HIPAA Laws.

noonwitch
09-10-2010, 04:38 PM
This is not good.

Don't cops/prosecutors need probable cause to get a subpeona for someone's medical records? This would be a way for the cops to bypass the courts. On top of that, there is an assumption of guilt.

I would hope that this gets slapped down by the NC state courts.

m00
09-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Breach of privacy. Can't see any doctor allowing this...it's a violation of medical records.

Its already a done deal... just a matter of when at this point. Our rights are gone. We're like a man who's been shot, and he's looking down at the gunshot wound in disbelief that he's already dead.