PDA

View Full Version : Lady Gaga and the death of sex

warpig
09-12-2010, 12:03 AM
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/public/magazine/article389697.ece

Lady Gaga is a manufactured personality, and a recent one at that. Photos of Stefani Germanotta just a few years ago show a bubbly brunette with a glowing complexion. The Gaga of world fame, however, with her heavy wigs and giant sunglasses (rudely worn during interviews) looks either simperingly doll-like or ghoulish, without a trace of spontaneity. Every public appearance, even absurdly at airports where most celebrities want to pass incognito, has been lavishly scripted in advance with a flamboyant outfit and bizarre hairdo assembled by an invisible company of elves.

Gaga is in way over her head with her avant-garde pretensions… She wants to have it both ways – to be hip and avant-garde and yet popular and universal, a practitioner of gung-ho “show biz”. Most of her worshippers seem to have had little or no contact with such powerful performers as Tina Turner or Janis Joplin, with their huge personalities and deep wells of passion.

Generation Gaga doesn’t identify with powerful vocal styles because their own voices have atrophied: they communicate mutely via a constant stream of atomised, telegraphic text messages. Gaga’s flat affect doesn’t bother them because they’re not attuned to facial expressions.

Gaga's fans are marooned in a global technocracy of fancy gadgets but emotional poverty. Borderlines have been blurred between public and private: reality TV shows multiply, cell phone conversations blare everywhere; secrets are heedlessly blabbed on Facebook and Twitter

Interesting read. Kinda reminds me of Elwood Blues' rant about "preprogrammed electronic disco..."

KhrushchevsShoe
09-12-2010, 04:41 AM
Haha, this guy thinks Lady Gaga doesn't have a tremendous voice.

CueSi
09-12-2010, 04:57 AM

Actually the writer of the article is a woman- - Camille Pagilia. She's a liberal that's the bugbear of much of the liberal establishment.

And. . .she's right. Miss Gemanotta's voice just isn't remarkable. She doesn't have the soulfulness of Stevie Knicks, or even the pop-covered punch of Christina Aguilera. Sometimes I think Gaga does duets with Beyonce so she can seem like there's some there... there.

I can pull off Gaga with no problem. . .which tells me, she's just for show. Until she can drop a "Halo", like Beyonce or "Beautiful", or even a passable retread like "Candyman" like Christina... meh.

~QC

FlaGator
09-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Her voice is average at best. She can keep a tune but that is about it. Nothing she does qualifies her as having a great voice.

Bubba Dawg
09-12-2010, 11:43 AM
I have nothing against Lady Gaga. Her songs are okay by me but she's not in any sense great. She's not even above average.

hampshirebrit
09-12-2010, 11:50 AM
I have nothing against Lady Gaga. Her songs are okay by me but she's not in any sense great. She's not even above average.

I have to be honest, with a collection of nearly 4,500 CDs keeping me busy, I have yet to notice the lady. I'm not aware of having heard her, only seeing her name mentioned on t'internet.

From what I'm reading here, I needn't concern myself overly with this gap in my awareness.

warpig
09-12-2010, 11:52 AM

There are many great female singers, GaGa ain't one. Try Aguilera, or Lea Ann Rymes, Martina McBride, Joss Stone, Pat Benatar, Nicks, Jennifer Nettles to name a few. If you handed Gaga a microphone and said sing, she couldn't pull it off. With out all the shock value she has in her presentation, she's got nothing.

NJCardFan
09-12-2010, 11:55 AM
If Lady GaGa had such a great voice, she wouldn't need to do the other bullshit to remain relevant. Not to mention that she isn't even that attractive. She's not ugly, just average.

Bubba Dawg
09-12-2010, 11:56 AM
I have to be honest, with a collection of nearly 4,500 CDs keeping me busy, I have yet to notice the lady. I'm not aware of having heard her, only seeing her name mentioned on t'internet.

From what I'm reading here, I needn't concern myself overly with this gap in my awareness.

You haven't missed much, Hamps. To me the young Madonna had more talent and sex appeal. Gaga's music, without the over-the-top public personae, would be average.

She likes to be compared to Bowie and Madonna but at some point her homage becomes parroting.

warpig
09-12-2010, 11:58 AM
I think one of the underlying ideas in the OP was that the consumer of this type of presentation is void of the ability to recognize real talent when it is presented.

hampshirebrit
09-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Camille Pagilia. She's a liberal that's the bugbear of much of the liberal establishment.

Even back in the day when I was somewhat more leftwardly inclined than now, Camille seemed to me to be one of the most annoying, run-off-at-the-yap women in all Christendom.

Bubba Dawg
09-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I think one of the underlying ideas in the OP was that the consumer of this type of presentation is void of the ability to recognize real talent when it is presented.

You're right. I know that every generation has to have it's own music and that often the previous generation will look at the new music with varying degrees of disgust or mortification.

I've gone from Beatles and Stones to the Ramones to the Grunge to Green Day to you name it.

I came away with one experience, some of the music of the day I liked and some I didn't. But there was always a lot to choose from which is cool.

The article's discussion of manufactured celebrity and society is interesting. Good find.

CueSi
09-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Even back in the day when I was somewhat more leftwardly inclined than now, Camille seemed to me to be one of the most annoying, run-off-at-the-yap women in all Christendom.

I'll give you that. I can't LISTEN to her. I can read her, though.

But it's not as much her presentation that annoys them, it's what she says... from defending Sarah Palin, to calling Abortion what it is (she's still pro choice though) . . . she just doesn't act like a good little leftist.

~QC

JB
09-12-2010, 04:04 PM
I can pull off Gaga with no problem. . .which tells me, she's just for show. Until she can drop a "Halo", like Beyonce or "Beautiful", or even a passable retread like "Candyman" like Christina... meh.~QCAguilera, in spite of her pop-tardiness, is in a class by herself. The girl can just flat-out sing. They come around every once in a while. Like pre-crack Whitney.

It's unfair to compare anyone to singers like them. Gaga could never compete.

Gingersnap
09-13-2010, 10:21 AM
It's difficult to make comparisons among pop/rock performers.

While it's absolutely true that the musical complexity and technical expertise of musicians has demonstrably declined incrementally over the past 40 or 45 years, the vocal "talent" of performers is harder to gauge. It's extremely subjective.

Joplin might be a rock icon today but as many critics of the time slammed her back then as praised her. Cher really did have a compelling voice but her showmanship made critics relegate her to the trash-pop category.

People who listen to Ga-Ga today when they are 14, 15, or 16 years old will have the same misty-eyed reaction to her tunes in 25 years as some people do today listening Madonna's 'Papa Don't Preach' or whatever. It's not really the talent or technical skills that provoke an emotional reaction to old rockers or pop singers - it's the nostalgia. The way the tune reminds the listener of an earlier, simpler, a much better time of life. ;)

noonwitch
09-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Bad Romance is a catchy tune. I don't know any other of her songs. I'm old, I don't listen to much of that kind of music. Macy Gray and Gnarls Barkley are about as hip as I get.

jediab
09-13-2010, 03:29 PM
If Lady GaGa had such a great voice, she wouldn't need to do the other bullshit to remain relevant. Not to mention that she isn't even that attractive. She's not ugly, just average.

A lot like Alice Cooper. He cant sing worth a damn. It's all of his other "bullshit" that makes his concerts so popular.

lacarnut
09-13-2010, 05:37 PM

She is a freak as far as I am concerned. No wonder commie shoe likes her.

jendf
09-14-2010, 01:52 AM
It's hard to focus on her supposed singing talent when she's wearing shit like this.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6013/gagameat.jpg (http://img337.imageshack.us/i/gagameat.jpg/)

Yes, that is a dress (and matching shoes!) made of meat. :rolleyes:

CueSi
09-14-2010, 02:32 AM
EWWWWWWW... she must have smelled like a f'n abattoir.

~QC

Calypso Jones
09-14-2010, 08:42 AM
lyrics are as juvenile as the Black Eyed Peas. I don't know which is worse.

Gingersnap
09-14-2010, 09:52 AM

I'm no fan of Ga Ga but to be truthful: most lyrics in pop music suck one way or another. Lyrics are more important in country music but pop music is more about the beat because it's also dance music a lot of the time.

Plenty of inane lyrics have been written (or sung) by boomer pop/rock icons over the years. 'Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da' did not have the stupidest lyrics written by the Beatles by any means. The same is true with any band or performer. Often the most popular tunes are the ones least able to stand alone as artistic concepts - they're just catchy.

The real problem with contemporary pop music isn't that it's musically simplistic or derivative or hypersexual or content/context-free (it's been that way for decades), the real problem is that we take a disposable art form created by and for kids so seriously. We think it needs some kind of meaning or talent.

Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, and Shakira are laughing at the critics all the way to the bank. ;)

Molon Labe
09-14-2010, 11:43 AM

agreed.

What passes as musical talent today is ridiculous.