PDA

View Full Version : Just ran out for a cigar, interesting conversation with owner of the store

SarasotaRepub
09-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Ahhhh DUmmies (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=389&topic_id=9120725&mesg_id=9120725)...isn't this one of you A-Holes that has begged money in the past...always crying about no money...woe is me????

The Straight Story http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/donor.gif (1000+ posts) Sun Sep-12-10 02:22 PM

Original message Just ran out for a cigar, interesting conversation with owner of the store

The guy owns a small tobacco shop off of Livingston Avenue. I was hoping he had some King Edwards or a pipe, he didn't but he had a pretty good selection of Garcia Vegas and Dutch Masters.

I asked him how that whole Schip thing was working out.

"Hell, I voted for Obama. We needed a change. But, well how much do you make? Do you make 250,000 a year?"

"Nope, not even close" I replied.

"None of my customers do, but they are now paying taxes way higher than they ever did before. Business is down, what used to be $18.00 for a pound of smoke is now almost $70. You think people making 250k care? They are paying less taxes now than they did before - and I am about near the end of my rope with my shop."

He ranted on and on about how his little shop was taking a hit, which I suppose to some here is a good thing, but in the end he swore he would not be voting for a democrat this year. I had a smoke while I talked to him, you can do that in smoke shops here. He gave me a free diet mt dew and a book of matches. "That bush was a dumbass, sure as hell he was a cheatin' SOB, he didn't even have a clue about 9/11" Not sure what he meant by all that, but I took it he did not like bush too much.

Given all of that, he won't vote for a democrat next election - because they raised taxes on his customers - and drove them away. He might well be a single issue voter, but he is a voter none the less. He didn't see where bush impacted him directly - but he has seen where Obama has. He has bought into the whole meme about dems "tax and spend".

When you raise the taxes of something poor people buy by an insane amount, do you really expect them to rush out and vote for you?

:confused: :D

Constitutionally Speaking
09-12-2010, 09:02 PM
The thing of it is that this is what Obama is doing to ALL small businesses and these assholes simply cannot make the connection between how horrible the economy is and the policies that Obama has passed.

If Obama had DONE NOTHING, we would be most of the way out of the recession by now.

marinejcksn
09-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Tobacco users are always more "poorer" people than "richer" people. These are just simple stats. When Bammy pledged he "wouldn't raise taxes on people making under 250k", he lied the first week by exploding tobacco taxes.

I'm quitting smoking just to spite this asshole. :D

Zafod
09-13-2010, 12:49 PM
what self respecting cigar smoker smokes "Garcia Vegas"??

why not get some Swisher Sweets and some malt liquor while you are at it?

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2010, 12:55 PM

Dude, he upgraded to Dutch Masters. :rolleyes:

...or maybe a pipe....

Zafod
09-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Dude, he upgraded to Dutch Masters. :rolleyes:

...or maybe a pipe....

yeah I bet he started with "top" rolling tobacco.....

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2010, 12:59 PM
yeah I bet he started with "top" rolling tobacco.....

or Bugler...:D

Zafod
09-13-2010, 01:00 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2010, 01:05 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

LOL

The old days. Good times.

hoplophobe
09-13-2010, 01:10 PM

I was going to rip on his "cigar" choices but I wrongly assumed no one would know what I was talking about.

Machine rolled cigars are the nastiest smokes.

SteveinINDY
09-13-2010, 01:19 PM

Hava Tampa Jewels & Mickeys Malt Liquor! Man! That's class!

Before the Whiners drove Tinderbox under, their humidor had a large ring guage called "Churchill Rejects." I thought they were pretty good.

BTW, you dip the wooden tip of the Hava Tampa Jewel in the Mickys. GOOOOOOOD stuff Manard!

Zafod
09-13-2010, 01:38 PM
I was going to rip on his "cigar" choices but I wrongly assumed no one would know what I was talking about.

Machine rolled cigars are the nastiest smokes.

word.

Zafod
09-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Hava Tampa Jewels & Mickeys Malt Liquor! Man! That's class!

Before the Whiners drove Tinderbox under, their humidor had a large ring guage called "Churchill Rejects." I thought they were pretty good.

BTW, you dip the wooden tip of the Hava Tampa Jewel in the Mickys. GOOOOOOOD stuff Manard!

meh the churchill were alright. I like Tinder box. They were the only place that served up pipe tobacco in glass jars with a shot glass to scoop it out.

Wei Wu Wei
09-13-2010, 01:42 PM
If Obama had DONE NOTHING, we would be most of the way out of the recession by now.

How is it that the Democrat's hypothetical argument of "well it would be worse if we hadn't done anything" is invalid, but an equally hypothetical argument of "it would be better if they hadn't6 done anythint" is perfectly reasonable?

Zafod
09-13-2010, 01:51 PM
How is it that the Democrat's hypothetical argument of "well it would be worse if we hadn't done anything" is invalid, but an equally hypothetical argument of "it would be better if they hadn't6 done anythint" is perfectly reasonable?

you need a bigger spoon.....

09-13-2010, 05:48 PM

That's what I was thinking!!

09-13-2010, 06:06 PM

Do you have any clue on how you statistically isolate a variable??

NJCardFan
09-13-2010, 07:34 PM

This is what mostly sold in the prison system here. At one time they were cheap but lo and behold, after Oblahblah came in, they went from $1 a pack to $3. The big pack went from $8 to $24. I thought there was going to be a riot.

And I do have to agree. Why would you go to a smoke shop to buy G&V's or DM's when you can just go to your local 7-11? Oh, wait, he couldn't get his free Mountain Dew at the 7-11. :rolleyes:

They are paying less taxes now than they did before
:rolleyes:

09-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Bumped for Wei's sake.

Zafod
09-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Bumped for Wei's sake.

why bother? little shit is a coward.

m00
09-14-2010, 08:31 PM
And I do have to agree. Why would you go to a smoke shop to buy G&V's or DM's when you can just go to your local 7-11? Oh, wait, he couldn't get his free Mountain Dew at the 7-11. :rolleyes:

I do this. I like supporting local businesses, even if it costs me more. I would much rather see the streets I live filled with small shops than big chains, even if I *do* get more value for my dollar in terms of goods at the chain. I just feel like I get less value for my dollar on the intangibles.

/shrug.

NJCardFan
09-14-2010, 10:28 PM
I do this. I like supporting local businesses, even if it costs me more. I would much rather see the streets I live filled with small shops than big chains, even if I *do* get more value for my dollar in terms of goods at the chain. I just feel like I get less value for my dollar on the intangibles.

/shrug.

But 7-11's are independently owned so you would be helping a local businessman.

m00
09-14-2010, 10:36 PM
But 7-11's are independently owned so you would be helping a local businessman.

Still a franchise, and I think they are an eyesore.