View Full Version : Men's pants sizes not accurate, but 'vanity'

Gingersnap
09-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Men's pants sizes not accurate, but 'vanity'

Thursday, September 09, 2010

Michelle Charlesworth
More: Bio, News Team
Eyewitness News

NEW YORK (WABC) -- The so called "comfort waist" is making many men uncomfortable now that they see that today's 36-inch pants are averaging a lot bigger.

Esquire Magazine discovered a secret technique used in the pants making industry called "vanity sizing," a merchandizing trick of sizes that make you feel good and want to buy the clothes. What you think your waist size is in your favorite pair of slacks, in many cases, could be a lie.

Eyewitness News bought four pairs of labeled 36-inch waist pants from different retailers and tested their measurements. Old Navy's pants measured 39 inches and H&M at 39.5 inches, while Banana Republic and The Gap both came in at 40 inches.

Esquire Magazine's own test measured H&M's size 36-inch dress pants as 37 inches, Calvin Klein's Dylan pant as 38.5 inches, and The Gap as 39 inches. The worst offender was Old Navy, coming in an entire five inches larger at 41 inches.

Welcome to our world, boys. ;)

ABC (http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/consumer&id=7658949)

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2010, 01:03 PM
:eek:

I thought 2X was gettin' a little tight.....

You can also stretch "Large" men's briefs over the behind of a hippopotamus.

You can thank me later for that visual image and for answering that nagging question in your mind about Bubba being boxers or briefs. ;)

Gingersnap
09-13-2010, 01:06 PM
You can also stretch "Large" men's briefs over the behind of a hippopotamus.

We're gonna need some visual confirmations of this. :cool:

Bubba Dawg
09-13-2010, 01:08 PM
We're gonna need some visual confirmations of this. :cool:

I'll check through my collection. :)

ralph wiggum
09-13-2010, 01:13 PM
I have noticed that certain pairs of newer pants that I've bought are looser, although they are listed as the same size.

I guess I'm doing OK, since I still fit into all of my older pairs. :cool:

warpig
09-13-2010, 06:18 PM
That's ok, it gives you extra room in the crotch...........almost enough.......:rolleyes: