PDA

View Full Version : Feds Spent $800,000 of Economic Stimulus on African Genital-Washing Program

FlaGator
09-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Your tax dollars at work!

The genitalia-washing program is part of a larger $12-million UCLA study (http://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=7814411&icde=5021426) examining how to better encourage Africans to undergo voluntary HIV testing and counseling – however, only the penis-washing study received money from the 2009 economic stimulus law. The washing portion of the study is set to end in 2011.

“NIH Announces the Availability of Recovery Act Funds for Competitive Revision Applications,” the grant abstract states. “We propose to evaluate the feasibility of a post-coital genital hygiene study among men unwilling to be circumcised in Orange Farm, South Africa.”

Because AIDS researchers have been unsuccessful in convincing most adult African men to undergo circumcision, the UCLA study proposes to determine whether researchers can develop an after-sex genitalia-washing regimen that they can then convince uncircumcised African men to follow.

“The aim of the proposed feasibility study is to evaluate the feasibility and acceptability of a post-coital male genital hygiene procedure, which participants will be asked to practice immediately post-coitus or at least 12 hours after,” reads the abstract.
Entitled “Community-Based HIV VCT: South Africa,” the name of the broader umbrella project, the program plans to test how well received the penis-washing regimen is among South African men.

If most of the men in the study wash their genitals after sex, are willing to do so after the study ends, and report that their partners accept the regimen, the researchers will develop another study to see if the “penile cleansing procedure” actually works to prevent HIV infections.

Whole story here (http://cnsnews.com/news/article/75198)

djones520
09-14-2010, 10:06 AM
*twitch*

Gingersnap
09-14-2010, 10:41 AM
So, we are seriously going to rely on male hygiene to prevent disease?

Seriously? :eek:

Wei Wu Wei
09-14-2010, 10:53 AM
My tax dollars going to keep basic measures in place to reduce death and disease for at-risk populations?

Sure, lot better than it going to make a yaht payment for some 22 year old who inherited daddy's portfolio.

JB
09-14-2010, 11:01 AM
My tax dollars going to keep basic measures in place to reduce death and disease for at-risk populations?Right, keep throwing money at the problem. That's always the answer. And I don't mean just this problem.

Speedy
09-14-2010, 11:17 AM
My tax dollars going to keep basic measures in place to reduce death and disease for at-risk populations?

Sure, lot better than it going to make a yaht payment for some 22 year old who inherited daddy's portfolio.

Do you have any idea what standard of pussy you can score on a yacht? All a matter of perspective my man.

Wei Wu Wei
09-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Do you have any idea what standard of pussy you can score on a yacht? All a matter of perspective my man.

Are you in high school?

Wei Wu Wei
09-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Speedy has "No Homo" tattoed on his back and is behind on his mortage because his payments are so high on his pontiac firebird with "Pussy Wagon" painted across the side. A Cool Dude.

Rockntractor
09-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Wei Wei needs to volunteer to go to Africa as a professional ball washer!:D

noonwitch
09-14-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't doubt the necessity of a program like this in Africa (where access to clean water is probably a contributing factor), I just question whether stimulus money should have been used for funding. It seems like more of a UN kind of thing, to me.

Unless, of course, the underlying goal is to get africans to buy american-made condoms or soap. :)

Zafod
09-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Speedy has "No Homo" tattoed on his back and is behind on his mortage because his payments are so high on his pontiac firebird with "Pussy Wagon" painted across the side. A Cool Dude.

you really suck at this.

lacarnut
09-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Bozo the clown told us that the stimulus was going to create jobs. We are just finding out that was not American jobs he was speaking of. This stupidity and millions for windmill built in Europe are examples.

I betcha wash your pecker right after sex is going to go over big with Africans.

Constitutionally Speaking
09-14-2010, 04:43 PM

The question is - HOW is this supposed to stimulate our economy???

We were sold a bill of goods that the "stimulus" was going to help the economy, yet on item after item, it does NOTHING of the sort.

If you wish to spend money on such projects, shouldn't it be put in a bill that is actually specifically for this purpose, instead of selling it as "stimulus"?

FlaGator
09-14-2010, 05:46 PM
The question is - HOW is this supposed to stimulate our economy???

We were sold a bill of goods that the "stimulus" was going to help the economy, yet on item after item, it does NOTHING of the sort.

If you wish to spend money on such projects, shouldn't it be put in a bill that is actually specifically for this purpose, instead of selling it as "stimulus"?

I suspect that it stimulated some African men.

Rockntractor
09-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Wei Wei left after this thread was posted!:confused:

CueSi
09-14-2010, 06:09 PM
I don't doubt the necessity of a program like this in Africa (where access to clean water is probably a contributing factor), I just question whether stimulus money should have been used for funding. It seems like more of a UN kind of thing, to me.

Unless, of course, the underlying goal is to get africans to buy american-made condoms or soap. :)

QFT... why the fuck do we even have a UN FOR if not for bullshit like this?! African Ball Washing sounds like a seminar at one of those bullshit conferences the UN has anyway.

~QC

09-14-2010, 06:23 PM

I am SOOOOO ashamed of you!!!! :D

FlaGator
09-14-2010, 06:25 PM
I am SOOOOO ashamed of you!!!! :D

I'm having one of those days...

warpig
09-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Let's see at 20 bucks a time............................oh wrong study...........:D

Troll
09-14-2010, 06:54 PM

Glad you think so. Next time Congress comes up with a million-dollar ball-washing program, I'll be sure to let them know that you volunteered to pay for it.

I'll pay the note on my yacht that month.

NJCardFan
09-14-2010, 07:55 PM

Funny how Wee Wee found a way to interject wealth envy into this conversation. If wee wee isn't a Marxist, nobody is.

m00
09-14-2010, 08:22 PM

If you are talking about the bailouts, I'm not sure how many conservatives was for that.

Troll
09-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Funny how Wee Wee found a way to interject wealth envy into this conversation. If wee wee isn't a Marxist, nobody is.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it's like 20% or less of millionaires that inherit their wealth. That would mean 80% of 'rich people' made their money by working for it (or acting).

Even if people becoming millionaires by inheritance were any of the government's business, it's still a red herring; it's the exception, not the rule.

Bubba Dawg
09-14-2010, 09:24 PM

Oh shit. That's funny. :D

noonwitch
09-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Oh shit. That's funny. :D

If that "Redneck Yachtclub" video is any indication...

Zathras
09-15-2010, 09:11 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/HeroesAtWork/462.jpg

Gingersnap
09-15-2010, 10:18 AM

This is a false dilemma. The government doesn't use tax dollars to pay for private boat payments nor do 22 year old trust fund babies need help with their recreational expenditures.

While genital-washing is something I'm strongly in favor of as a general principle, the biggest reduction in disease and misery caused by sex would be implemented by not having any outside of marriage.

Zafod
09-15-2010, 12:55 PM
This is a false dilemma. The government doesn't use tax dollars to pay for private boat payments nor do 22 year old trust fund babies need help with their recreational expenditures.

While genital-washing is something I'm strongly in favor of as a general principle, the biggest reduction in disease and misery caused by sex would be implemented by not having any outside of marriage.

agreed. I have been abstinent since my last marriage.
I get married again in march and it will have been 3 years by that time since I had nooky.... Im going nuts....

Gingersnap
09-15-2010, 01:52 PM
agreed. I have been abstinent since my last marriage.
I get married again in march and it will have been 3 years by that time since I had nooky.... Im going nuts....

At least you aren't going to the "free" clinic to clear up your latest STI or being surprised by the DNA tests requested by that hot blonde you hooked-up with 11 months ago.

Sex is a lot of fun but it's hardly a risk-free behavior which is why all cultures have historically done a lot of micro-management on community sexual expression.

FlaGator
09-15-2010, 01:54 PM
I too am remaining abstinent until I am married. First off, my beliefs ask it of me and secondly it is best way not to contract a disease that I might unwittingly share with someone I love.

Zafod
09-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Im still going nuts.....

FlaGator
09-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Im still going nuts.....

Me too... but somethings are worth the wait.

Bubba Dawg
09-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Zafod and FlaGator, I admire you both.

And remember fellas, while you're waiting, while you're "in waiting," don't forget to wash your balls. :)

This may be the strangest post I've ever made.

FlaGator
09-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Zafod and FlaGator, I admire you both.

And remember fellas, while you're waiting, while you're "in waiting," don't forget to wash your balls. :)

This may be the strangest post I've ever made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T8Gxk7vbec

09-15-2010, 06:16 PM
At least you aren't going to the "free" clinic to clear up your latest STI or being surprised by the DNA tests requested by that hot blonde you hooked-up with 11 months ago.

Sex is a lot of fun but it's hardly a risk-free behavior which is why all cultures have historically done a lot of micro-management on community sexual expression.

There is one flaw in your argument. We are talking about Zaff. He and "hot young blond" simply is not going to happen.

:D

Zafod
09-15-2010, 06:19 PM
There is one flaw in your argument. We are talking about Zaff. He and "hot young blond" simply is not going to happen.

:D

except the one I am getting hitched too you asshat.

Odysseus
09-15-2010, 06:39 PM

So, you're saying that John Kerry should be washing African men's balls? No, wait, that was his wife's portfolio that he inherited.

The first problem with this, just from a scientific point of view, is that there is no proof that washing after sex reduces the transmission of HIV, since it is spread through open sores. If there's no barrier, there's no protection. Washing afterward is the equivalent of closing the barn door after the horse has run off. So, without a scientific consensus on the value of the program, the spending is a waste.

Second, the stimulus was supposed to, you know, stimulate. The US economy, that is, not African men. How is this stimulating the US economy?

Which brings me to the third point, that even if this is a good idea, every line item in the budget is a "good idea" to somebody. Enough good ideas, and you end up with a tax rate that destroys the economy. That's why we have a Constitution, so that there are limits on the scope of somebody's good ideas that we are obligated to fund. When you trash the Constitution, as Pelosi has explicitly done, you end up with no limits on how much you can rob from Peter to pay Paul to wash Ubuntu's penis.

QFT... why the fuck do we even have a UN FOR if not for bullshit like this?! African Ball Washing sounds like a seminar at one of those bullshit conferences the UN has anyway.
~QC
I am so glad that they didn't task the army to do this. :D

It depends on who's doing the washing. If they sent someone who looked like Helen Thomas, the program will stimulate nothing.

I too am remaining abstinent until I am married. First off, my beliefs ask it of me and secondly it is best way not to contract a disease that I might unwittingly share with someone I love.
Abstinence before marriage is laudible. After marriage, it's inevitable. :D

09-15-2010, 07:27 PM
except the one I am getting hitched too you asshat.

Sorry Zaf, I couldn't resist.

Bubba Dawg
09-15-2010, 07:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T8Gxk7vbec

I am in awre of you.....:D

warpig
09-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Abstinence before marriage is laudible. After marriage, it's inevitable.:D:D:D

You owe me a new keyboard...............

Odysseus
09-15-2010, 09:37 PM
.:D:D:D

You owe me a new keyboard...............

You've never heard of windex?