PDA

View Full Version : Iran releases imprisoned American hiker Sarah Shourd on bail

Gingersnap
09-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Sep 14, 2010
Iran releases imprisoned American hiker Sarah Shourd on bail
07:44 AM

Iran today released imprisoned American hiker Sarah Shourd on $500,000 bail, Iran's Press TV reports. Two U.S. companions remain in jail on charges of illegally entering Iran.

http://i54.tinypic.com/ibw2ef.jpg
Iran today released U.S. hiker Sarah Shourd, shown here in May in Tehran when she was allowed to meet with her visiting mother. By Atta Kenare, AFP/Getty Images

Shourd, Shane Bauer and Joshua Fattal were arrested in 2009 and charged with spying after the Tehran prosecutor found "compelling ed in 2009 and charged with spying after the Tehran prosecutor found "compelling evidence" that the trio had been cooperating with U.S. intelligence agencies, Iran Press TV says.

Iranian officials said last week that Shourd would be freed on Saturday, but the decision was canceled because of "unresolved legal issues," Press TV says.

USA Today (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2010/09/nbc-iran-releases-imprisoned-american-hiker-/1?loc=interstitialskip)

Odysseus
09-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Sep 14, 2010
Iran releases imprisoned American hiker Sarah Shourd on bail
07:44 AM

Iran today released imprisoned American hiker Sarah Shourd on $500,000 bail, Iran's Press TV reports. Two U.S. companions remain in jail on charges of illegally entering Iran.

http://i54.tinypic.com/ibw2ef.jpg
Iran today released U.S. hiker Sarah Shourd, shown here in May in Tehran when she was allowed to meet with her visiting mother. By Atta Kenare, AFP/Getty Images

Shourd, Shane Bauer and Joshua Fattal were arrested in 2009 and charged with spying after the Tehran prosecutor found "compelling ed in 2009 and charged with spying after the Tehran prosecutor found "compelling evidence" that the trio had been cooperating with U.S. intelligence agencies, Iran Press TV says.

Iranian officials said last week that Shourd would be freed on Saturday, but the decision was canceled because of "unresolved legal issues," Press TV says.

USA Today (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2010/09/nbc-iran-releases-imprisoned-american-hiker-/1?loc=interstitialskip)

No doubt they wanted to remind her that if she talked about how she was treated, the other two hikers would suffer for it.

Gingersnap
09-14-2010, 11:57 AM
If these people had a political allegiance at all, it was most likely left-of-center. I wonder if they appreciate the irony in being viewed as running dogs of the CIA by the people they may have been "helping"?

Odysseus
09-14-2010, 12:06 PM
If these people had a political allegiance at all, it was most likely left-of-center. I wonder if they appreciate the irony in being viewed as running dogs of the CIA by the people they may have been "helping"?

Possibly. Some, not many, but some, of those idiots who went to Iraq to be "human shields" were shocked, shocked I tell you, to discover that Saddam wanted them to stand in front of military targets instead of widows and photogenic orphans, and even when they did stand in front of protected sites, like mosques and hospitals, the mosques and hospitals had been used for military purposes in violation of the Geneva Conventions. Then, when the war started, they discovered that the civilians of Iraq didn't need human shields, because we weren't shooting at them.

So, it all depends on how deluded these particular lefties are, and how apalling their treatment was. If the Iranians treated her the way that they usually treat women in Ervin Prison, then I'm sure that she has some gruesome stories to tell, but she may be deluded enough to think that everything that happened to her was Bush's fault.

lacarnut
09-14-2010, 05:17 PM

According to Wiki, they are anti-war, social justice and Palestinian solidarity activists. My hope is that Iran keeps these dip-shits forever.

Rockntractor
09-14-2010, 06:08 PM
According to Wiki, they are anti-war, social justice and Palestinian solidarity activists. My hope is that Iran keeps these dip-shits forever.

I am with you on that, more of them should be encouraged to go hiking.

Odysseus
09-14-2010, 06:37 PM

What's funny is that they are letting her out on bail (which is being provided by Oman) and then letting her leave the country. I guess that the Omanis will have to send someone to get their bail back. :p

Apache
09-14-2010, 06:53 PM
What's funny is that they are letting her out on bail (which is being provided by Oman) and then letting her leave the country. I guess that the Omanis will have to send someone to get their bail back. :p

They could always get Dog to get her if she skips.....:rolleyes:

warpig
09-14-2010, 06:57 PM

beat me to it..................:D

lacarnut
09-14-2010, 07:36 PM

You think we could send Obama, Rambo and Axel. The Iranians would get a kick out of these fools.

Zathras
09-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Bail? Let's call it what it really is, ransom for a kidnapping.

Odysseus
09-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Nah. Muslims think that dogs are unclean. They'd have to send someone named after a purer animal. Mohammed had a donkey that supposedly carried him off to heaven, and by now, it would be mummified, so maybe they should send Mohammed's crusty old ass after her. :D

noonwitch
09-15-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm glad they released her and hope that Iran releases her two friends soon, also. I hope they have learned that some parts of the world are just not good vacation destinations for american backpackers. The Iran/Iraq border, the China/North Korea border, Khyber Pass, Darfur, the parts of South America run by drug cartels, etc., none are very good places to be a stupid american tourist.

Odysseus
09-15-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm glad they released her and hope that Iran releases her two friends soon, also. I hope they have learned that some parts of the world are just not good vacation destinations for american backpackers. The Iran/Iraq border, the China/North Korea border, Khyber Pass, Darfur, the parts of South America run by drug cartels, etc., none are very good places to be a stupid american tourist.

There's really no good place to be a stupid American tourist. In fact, there's really no good place to be stupid, regardless of nationality or travel status.

noonwitch
09-15-2010, 03:22 PM
There's really no good place to be a stupid American tourist. In fact, there's really no good place to be stupid, regardless of nationality or travel status.

Canada is pretty safe for stupid american tourists. Toronto, in particular. Pedestrians have the right of way, even if they are not using a crosswalk. That just seems like a law written for stupid people.

Odysseus
09-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Canada is pretty safe for stupid american tourists. Toronto, in particular. Pedestrians have the right of way, even if they are not using a crosswalk. That just seems like a law written for stupid people.

It is. NYC has the same law, which is why everybody jaywalks.

But, in the words of John Wayne, "Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid."