PDA

View Full Version : First Lady Calls for Kids’ Menus With Healthy Choices

Gingersnap
09-14-2010, 11:19 AM
First Lady Calls for Kids’ Menus With Healthy Choices; Says French Fries Should Be Special ‘Request’

Tuesday, September 14, 2010
By Penny Starr

(CNSNews.com) – In remarks to the National Restaurant Association in Washington, D.C., on Monday, first lady Michelle Obama said American restaurants should offer and market more healthy options to children on menus and make it easier for parents to select the best meal for their child.

She cited a “local survey” that showed most children’s menus have choices such as macaroni and cheese, chicken fingers, hamburgers and cheeseburgers.

“That’s why I want to challenge every restaurant to offer healthy menu options and then provide them up front so that parents don’t have to hunt around and read the small print to find an appropriately sized portion that doesn’t contain levels – high levels of fat, salt and sugar,” Michelle Obama said.

“These choices have to be easy to make and they have to give parents the confidence to know that they can go into any restaurant in this country and choose a genuinely healthy meal for their kids,” she said.

The first lady said restaurants should offer lower-fat fare and that high-calorie and fatty items such French fries might require a special order.

“It could mean serving 1 percent or skim milk,” Michelle Obama said. “Or you could make healthy sides like apple slices or carrots the default choice in a menu and make fries something customers have to request – which would hurt me deeply – I'm a fry lover.”

I think that this "advice" is misguided. Restaurant excursions with the under-16 crowd should be infrequent in my mind. Kids learn more about food, cooking, table conversation, and manners eating at home in a controlled environment than they ever will in a restaurant with all those distractions. Eating out should be a treat - not some bitter sacrifice to Hygeia and her sisters, Duty and Bland.

CNS (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/75246)

Apache
09-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Out of the loop again! I think the First Lady needs to leave her F#%$ing ivory tower. Fast food joits that have kids meals also offer fruits and veggies...
Wonder if she'll claim credit for that :rolleyes:

Gingersnap
09-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Out of the loop again! I think the First Lady needs to leave her F#%$ing ivory tower. Fast food joits that have kids meals also offer fruits and veggies...
Wonder if she'll claim credit for that :rolleyes:

She wants sit-down restaurants to do it now. I don't have kids but I have eaten with them in Happy Meal situations and it seems like quite a few kids just eat the burger and suck down the juice without eating much of the apple slices/dipping sauce.

Phillygirl
09-14-2010, 01:03 PM
She wants sit-down restaurants to do it now. I don't have kids but I have eaten with them in Happy Meal situations and it seems like quite a few kids just eat the burger and suck down the juice without eating much of the apple slices/dipping sauce.

It really depends on the kid. If the kid is frequently eating fruit at home as a snack, he/she will learn to really like it and will like it just as much when they're out. Most kids, however, don't ever eat fruit anymore unless it's blended in a smoothing, contained in a deep fried pie, or dehydrated and loaded with sugar in a "roll up".

noonwitch
09-14-2010, 01:03 PM

Most "family" restaurants have healthy options for kids, but kids don't want to eat healthy food at restaurants, because eating out is a treat, or a reward for good behavior.

I think encouraging healthy eating habits is a good cause for a First Lady to choose, but the focus should be on the parents and what they are feeding their kids on a daily basis, not on restaurant menus.

Bailey
09-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Think she should worry less about kids and more about losing tonage off that ass.

Apache
09-14-2010, 02:22 PM

She wants, she wants....

She has no damn right, nor power to, tell people what to eat or serve to their kids/ customers. Get out of people's lives dammit!

jendf
09-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Most "family" restaurants have healthy options for kids, but kids don't want to eat healthy food at restaurants, because eating out is a treat, or a reward for good behavior.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! That's exactly how it is in my family. I love watching my nephews, who are healthy eaters at home thanks to my sista', enjoy their chicken fingers or mac 'n' cheese and even *gasp* a soda when we go out as a family.

I think encouraging healthy eating habits is a good cause for a First Lady to choose, but the focus should be on the parents and what they are feeding their kids on a daily basis, not on restaurant menus.

It's none of their business-good cause or not. The government needs to mind its own business. Seriously. Enough is enough.

noonwitch
09-14-2010, 03:21 PM
It's none of their business-good cause or not. The government needs to mind its own business. Seriously. Enough is enough.

I'm not talking about changing laws or anything. I just think that there are plenty of parents who need some encouragement and information so that they can make better choices for their kids. It's more of an awareness thing, which is what I always thought First Lady issues were supposed to be about.

I see plenty of seriously fat children everytime I go swimming at the community center. I don't mean pudgy kids, or kids who put on a couple of pounds right before their next growth spurt. I mean children who are obese to the degree that they are going to have serious health problems before they even reach adulthood.

Odysseus
09-14-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm not talking about changing laws or anything. I just think that there are plenty of parents who need some encouragement and information so that they can make better choices for their kids. It's more of an awareness thing, which is what I always thought First Lady issues were supposed to be about.

I see plenty of seriously fat children everytime I go swimming at the community center. I don't mean pudgy kids, or kids who put on a couple of pounds right before their next growth spurt. I mean children who are obese to the degree that they are going to have serious health problems before they even reach adulthood.

The term for that is "natural selection."

The First Lady is certainly within her rights to hold forth on things that she considers important, but given the lavish lifestyle that she leads, she might want to tone down the moralizing. Most kids can't afford Kobe Beef and wouldn't eat arrugula if it tried to bite them first.

Shannon
09-14-2010, 03:35 PM

You would have to be a complete retard to not know the difference between healthy and unhealthy foods nowadays. I see fat kids everywhere too. Their parent(s) clearly aren't doing their job but I seriously doubt it is because they don't know better. It's just lazy parenting. When I take my brat out to eat, it is certainly not for fruit.

lacarnut
09-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Think she should worry less about kids and more about losing tonage off that ass.

Right. Lord ass is no Skinny Minnie and neither is one of her chubby kids. :eek::)

Gingersnap
09-14-2010, 03:51 PM
You would have to be a complete retard to not know the difference between healthy and unhealthy foods nowadays. I see fat kids everywhere too. Their parent(s) clearly aren't doing their job but I seriously doubt it is because they don't know better. It's just lazy parenting. When I take my brat out to eat, it is certainly not for fruit.

Exactly. In fact, an easy rule of thumb with "healthy" eating is to ask yourself if the item would taste way, way better if it had more salt, butter, chocolate, sugar, meat, gravy, or bread added.

If the answer is "yes", then it's healthy.

noonwitch
09-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Exactly. In fact, an easy rule of thumb with "healthy" eating is to ask yourself if the item would taste way, way better if it had more salt, butter, chocolate, sugar, meat, gravy, or bread added.

Or cheese. LOL.

Phillygirl
09-15-2010, 09:08 AM

Since I stopped using butter about 5 months ago I've discovered just how good it really is. I was at a restaurant a few weeks ago and asked the waiter to find out what spices/herbs were in the corn side dish, as it was delicious. He came back and said the chef told him it was just a butter chive sauce. That's when it hit me....BUTTER!! Damn I had forgotten how incredibly delicious that is.

Gingersnap
09-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Since I stopped using butter about 5 months ago I've discovered just how good it really is. I was at a restaurant a few weeks ago and asked the waiter to find out what spices/herbs were in the corn side dish, as it was delicious. He came back and said the chef told him it was just a butter chive sauce. That's when it hit me....BUTTER!! Damn I had forgotten how incredibly delicious that is.

Why did you give up the Condiment of the Gods? :eek:

Phillygirl
09-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Why did you give up the Condiment of the Gods? :eek:

Part of an overall health improvement makeover. No meat (but I give myself one day a week to eat it if I want to...I do so about once or twice a month), and now I do yoga a couple of times a week in addition to walking/running about 5 miles 3-4 times a week.

Yeah, I'm turning into a damn liberal. :eek:

Gingersnap
09-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Part of an overall health improvement makeover. No meat (but I give myself one day a week to eat it if I want to...I do so about once or twice a month), and now I do yoga a couple of times a week in addition to walking/running about 5 miles 3-4 times a week.

You are dead to me and I wear Birkenstocks. :mad:

:p

Phillygirl
09-15-2010, 11:22 AM
You are dead to me and I wear Birkenstocks. :mad:

:p

I figure as long as I still shave my legs I'm good! :p

noonwitch
09-15-2010, 02:58 PM

I'm a liberal. I eat meat daily, and have never done yoga in my life.

I use butter for some things, olive oil for others, and margerine for some of my baking. Spinach pie requires at least 3 sticks of butter, sometimes 4.

Phillygirl
09-15-2010, 03:21 PM

I use butter for some things, olive oil for others, and margerine for some of my baking. Spinach pie requires at least 3 sticks of butter, sometimes 4.

Yeah, but you hang around here enough to know how not to act like a rabid liberal! :p

Odysseus
09-15-2010, 03:31 PM

I'm a conservative and I have been known to do stretching exercises that look very similar to yoga, but lack the goofy names (They're left over from my physical therapy regimen for my various disk herniations), and I eat meat pretty much daily. I also use either butter or margarine, depending on what the recipe calls for and what's available, and olive oil works as well, but for lubricants, I defer to Cue Si's expertise. :D