PDA

View Full Version : Sociology class

fettpett
09-14-2010, 01:20 PM
well the new semester started last week and I'm taking a Sociology class. Today i got really hacked off at the teacher due to her asertation that the term "Redskin" comes from Settlers killing Indians and using their skins as Bota bags (wine skins) to carry water across the plains, and that the the settlers purposly killed off the Native Tribes comparing it to the Holocost. When I challenged her on it she brought up the the blankets given to natives that had smallpox (she said polio).

Gingersnap
09-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Here ya go:

Did the U.S. Army Distribute Smallpox Blankets to Indians?
Fabrication and Falsification in Ward Churchillís Genocide Rhetoric by Thomas Brown

E‐mail: browntf@hal.lamar.edu (http://www.plagiary.org/smallpox-blankets.pdf)

You might want to print it out and highlight the "big" words so she looks them up. :rolleyes:

FlaGator
09-14-2010, 06:52 PM
well the new semester started last week and I'm taking a Sociology class. Today i got really hacked off at the teacher due to her asertation that the term "Redskin" comes from Settlers killing Indians and using their skins as Bota bags (wine skins) to carry water across the plains, and that the the settlers purposly killed off the Native Tribes comparing it to the Holocost. When I challenged her on it she brought up the the blankets given to natives that had smallpox (she said polio).

From what internet site did she buy her diploma?

warpig
09-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Sociology class...................Why??

marv
09-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Drop the class. There's nothing there worth learning..........

But first, ask the "teacher" which state seceded from the Confederacy - just to test his/her knowledge......it was WV.

fettpett
09-14-2010, 09:44 PM
I have to take it for school. I would drop it but it's almost to late to find another class to fill that spot...i'm just glad that it's only a semester of this bullshit that I have to deal with.

Wei Wu Wei
09-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Sociology class...................Why??

Learning??....

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/robocop.gif

Wei Wu Wei
09-14-2010, 10:19 PM
new information threatening your worldview? i suggest you avoid it entirely

Jfor
09-14-2010, 10:33 PM

Just like several threads you post in and run away?

Phillygirl
09-14-2010, 10:46 PM

New information is great. False information gets you a degree from DU.

Gingersnap
09-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Learning??....

Learning false propaganda? I thought you were a free thinker. Would you be as knee-jerk positive about the (probably adjunct) instructor's views if she had trotted out other shibboleths - ones you know are false but that still have emotional currency among your sub-culture?

fettpett
09-15-2010, 07:02 AM

fucktard I have no problem learning new information. What I have a problem with is when a teacher stands up there and spouts bullshit like it's the truth. Bullshit like "40 million Indians were killed by settlers, it's the same thing as the Holocaust" that is a wholesale lie.

FlaGator
09-15-2010, 08:15 AM

So you advocate the teaching of false information to students because the information fits some pre-defined agenda?

Constitutionally Speaking
09-15-2010, 09:11 AM

Does the fact that a LIE is being taught as fact bother you???

fettpett
09-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Had my first test in this stupid class today....Not surprisingly there were a few bias questions like "The UN is a peace symbol" I know i'm going to get it wrong because I said False HAHA

oh, and on surprisingly she's a big proponet of Conflict Theory...Karl Marx theory

Wei Wu Wei
09-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Had my first test in this stupid class today....Not surprisingly there were a few bias questions like "The UN is a peace symbol" I know i'm going to get it wrong because I said False HAHA

You should have wrote false and a paragraph justifying this position. Many professors will accept this, they prefer confrontational students they disagree with who are willing to engage in arguments than students who just don't care.

oh, and on surprisingly she's a big proponet of Conflict Theory...Karl Marx theory

does talking about a theory = being a big proponent of a theory?

fettpett
09-23-2010, 01:59 PM
You should have wrote false and a paragraph justifying this position. Many professors will accept this, they prefer confrontational students they disagree with who are willing to engage in arguments than students who just don't care.

it was a on a scantron, no way to write out a justfication

does talking about a theory = being a big proponent of a theory?

no, but when she said that when she was writing her doctoral thesis and she said she was a conflict theorist and her instructor was a functionalist....it really apparent what she is