PDA

View Full Version : E-Cigs

FeebMaster
09-14-2010, 10:49 PM
We talked about these a while back. I think a couple people tried them out. Anyone still using them?

I still use mine occasionally, but I'm mostly off nicotine in general, unless someone offers me a free one or something.

They're definitely worth a shot if you want to give up the organic variety or if you're looking for a new vice.

Gingersnap
09-14-2010, 11:09 PM
I kind of strong-armed Feeb into posting this because I have a friend who got off of cigs completely in a week and after a couple of months, she's just "vaping" flavored juice a few times a day - no nicotine at all.

It didn't happen overnight or anything but she is absolutely the best quitter I've ever met. No whining, no relapses (so far), and no weight gain. I'm totally impressed by this and confused by the FDA trying to regulate something that appears to work really well.

I "vaped" one of her smokes today and it was just this vanilla/coffee taste. Like I had had a sip of fancy coffee. There was "smoke" but it was just water vapor.

Why isn't this promoted more? :confused:

FeebMaster
09-14-2010, 11:26 PM
It's not in the government's interest to promote it. It's easy, relatively cheap in comparison to other quitting methods, no prescriptions involved, fairly effective from what I've seen from various people, and currently untaxed. It's everything the government hates.

They're sort of weird. I never had the same feeling from smoking one as a real cigarette. The vapor isn't warm and doesn't feel the same as smoke when you inhale it, although it varies by model as I understand it. Some produce way more vapor than others. Another big thing is while you definitely feel the nicotine, I never got a buzz off of it like you will if you haven't had a cigarette in a while.

I think the biggest benefit is it's exactly like smoking a cigarette as far as the action goes. You've got something in your hand, you're sucking down a smoke-like substance and still getting some of that sweet, sweet nicotine. It helps with the habit portion more than the actual drug addiction portion of smoking. Plus, you can wean yourself down off the nicotine. The juice comes in various strengths, including nicotine free.

Gingersnap
09-14-2010, 11:37 PM
In June, my friend had this one that looked like a ciggie except the end was blue. Now she has a contraption that looks like a fat silver stick. Whatever.

She's off nicotine completely. I know what a nic-buzz feels like to a non-smoker and this did not have it. No dizzy-feeling at all. Just flavor.

It figures that if the government can't rape you over it, they won't recommend it. It changed my friend's life and she'd tried everything. Literally.

Rockntractor
09-14-2010, 11:49 PM
In June, my friend had this one that looked like a ciggie except the end was blue. Now she has a contraption that looks like a fat silver stick. Whatever.

She's off nicotine completely. I know what a nic-buzz feels like to a non-smoker and this did not have it. No dizzy-feeling at all. Just flavor.

It figures that if the government can't rape you over it, they won't recommend it. It changed my friend's life and she'd tried everything. Literally.

Hmmm, what other habits is your "friend" quiting?:confused::D

Gingersnap
09-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Hmmm, what other habits is your "friend" quiting?:confused::D

So far as I know, she's a single Mom raising 2 kids and working as a lab tech. If you have more in-depth knowledge, I'd be happy to hear it.

MountainMan
09-15-2010, 12:20 AM
I kind of strong-armed Feeb into posting this because I have a friend who got off of cigs completely in a week and after a couple of months, she's just "vaping" flavored juice a few times a day - no nicotine at all.

It didn't happen overnight or anything but she is absolutely the best quitter I've ever met. No whining, no relapses (so far), and no weight gain. I'm totally impressed by this and confused by the FDA trying to regulate something that appears to work really well.

I "vaped" one of her smokes today and it was just this vanilla/coffee taste. Like I had had a sip of fancy coffee. There was "smoke" but it was just water vapor.

Why isn't this promoted more? :confused:

Rush Limbaugh is now a major sponsor of this product...expect to see a lot more of this in the future.

SteveinINDY
09-15-2010, 03:24 AM
BINGO!! The government is room temperature on these things because they are benign and they haven't figured out how to tax them yet.
It's not in the government's interest to promote it. It's easy, relatively cheap in comparison to other quitting methods, no prescriptions involved, fairly effective from what I've seen from various people, and currently untaxed. It's everything the government hates.

They're sort of weird. I never had the same feeling from smoking one as a real cigarette. The vapor isn't warm and doesn't feel the same as smoke when you inhale it, although it varies by model as I understand it. Some produce way more vapor than others. Another big thing is while you definitely feel the nicotine, I never got a buzz off of it like you will if you haven't had a cigarette in a while.

I think the biggest benefit is it's exactly like smoking a cigarette as far as the action goes. You've got something in your hand, you're sucking down a smoke-like substance and still getting some of that sweet, sweet nicotine. It helps with the habit portion more than the actual drug addiction portion of smoking. Plus, you can wean yourself down off the nicotine. The juice comes in various strengths, including nicotine free.

Gingersnap
09-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Rush Limbaugh is now a major sponsor of this product...expect to see a lot more of this in the future.

Really? About the only time I catch Rush is when they switch his program over because of a baseball game. Maybe he should send some to Obama. If it worked for my friend, it would work for him. :p

FeebMaster
09-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Of course, if it gets too popular, the government will slap a massive tax on it just like they did with bulk tobacco for rolling your own cigarettes.

m00
09-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Of course, if it gets too popular, the government will slap a massive tax on it just like they did with bulk tobacco for rolling your own cigarettes.

Well obviously. We can't have Americans enjoying themselves without the government profiting from it.

Gingersnap
09-16-2010, 09:54 AM
It's this kind of thing that makes people reflexively distrust the government.

They go on and on for decades about how evil smoking is and how smokers are the scum of the earth but they won't outlaw tobacco which makes them out to be total hypocrites. Then people figure out a way to make smoking a lot safer and the FDA gets their panties in a wad trying to figure out how to punish those people.

I can't wait to get weed legalized. What will the smoking Nazis do then? There is nothing in the Constitution that dictates what the government will or won't allow a citizen to ingest.

Shannon
09-16-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm still not sure I understand the concept. They contain nicotine but aren't real cigs and they are flavored?

Gingersnap
09-16-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm still not sure I understand the concept. They contain nicotine but aren't real cigs and they are flavored?

They can pick different flavors and different nicotine levels (or no nicotine). The device doesn't heat up or anything (that I could see). It just creates a flavored water vapor. No smoke, no ashes, no smell, no fire - it's just a tube. Some look like cigs but some don't.