PDA

View Full Version : Appeals court guts landmark computer privacy ruling

m00
09-15-2010, 12:20 AM
I don't know if this should be breaking news... (14 hours ago)...

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/09/appeals-court-guts-landmark-computer-privacy-ruling.ars

Bowing to the Obama administration, a federal appeals court Monday gutted its own decision that had dramatically narrowed the government's search-and-seizure powers in the digital age.

The 9-2 ruling by the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals nullifies Miranda-style guidelines the court promulgated last year that were designed to protect Fourth Amendment privacy rights during court-authorized computer searches. Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan, as solicitor general last year, had urged the court to reverse itself amid complaints that federal prosecutions were being complicated, and computer searches were grinding to a halt, because of the detailed guidelines.

Matthew Parrella, the government's prosecutor in the case, declined comment on whether the government would ask the Supreme Court to review the decision. On Parrella's side were the two dissenting judges, Sandra S. Ikuta and Consuelo M. Callahan.

They wrote that their colleagues' decision does not explain "why the Supreme Court's case law or our case law dictates or even suggests that the plain view doctrine should be entirely abandoned in digital evidence cases."

But I would like some reasonable Obama supporter such as Wei Wei to comment on this. Why is Obama - a champion of freedom and paragon of the people, pressuring the courts to expand executive power when it comes to search-and-seizure on electronic devices?

This is huge and far-reaching, that we seem to be abandoning all our rights and property protections when it comes to digital property. Property is going to move towards digital more and more as time goes on. Why would Obama seek to grow executive power and expand search-and-seizure laws, especially since the erosion of civil liberties was a main criticism of Bush, which Obama was elected to set right?

warpig
09-15-2010, 12:21 AM
9th US Circuit Court of Appeals

enough said.............

m00
09-15-2010, 12:22 AM
enough said.............

I'm sorry, that's a cop-out. You should read the article instead of knee-jerking.

I want a serious answer on this. Why are liberals all of a sudden extremely weak on civil liberties? This is a new thing that started when Obama was elected.

m00
09-15-2010, 12:43 AM
This really pisses me off.

I want three things out of government:

Safeguard my liberty
Don't spend taxpayer money on stupid shit
Secure the goddamn borders

That's it. These are my issues.

Lets be honest. Bush was a pretty big failure on all 3. And I didn't exactly have high hopes for #2 or #3 under a Democrat president. But I unless I've gone stark raving mad, I remember liberals were all with me on #1 under the Bush administration. Okay, Democrats are in power. So why the hell are our liberties being eroded even further to an extent that I don't think even Bush, with all his Patriot Act rhetoric, would go? Where all those liberal champions of liberty that I recall from 2-3 years ago that claimed to be the watchdogs of 4th amendment protections?

Well, it's gotten worse. Why do I hear only silence?