PDA

View Full Version : Off to the "horse show"

BadCat
09-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Since arriving in North Carolina, the wife and her horse (Gucci) have switched training. Out in AZ, wife and horse practiced and competed in Western riding (barrels and such). In NC, they do different horse things, like Hunter/Jumper and Dressage.

So, wife and horse have been learning Dressage. She's spent a fortune on lessons and the special clothes that they need to wear for Dressage.

And today, they are in their first competition.

Despite my misgivings about the "Christopher Reeves" aspects of horseback riding, I will go down to the show and support the wife and horse.

Wish us all luck.

SarasotaRepub
09-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Just watch where you step BC. :D

Best of luck to your wife and her horsey. :cool:

djones520
09-18-2010, 09:21 AM
An ex-girlfriend of mine was really into this aspect of horsemanship. The last weekend we spent together before I moved to Japan, I went to a big show with her. It was in the stadium that the Tampa NFL team plays in. Was pretty interesting to watch.

SaintLouieWoman
09-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Good luck. Let us know how she did. She and the horse must be very adaptable to completely change styles.

JB
09-18-2010, 10:44 AM
I will go down to the show and support the...horse.I hope he appreciates it.

namvet
09-18-2010, 11:00 AM
my sis rode horse's in these show's. she got a quarter horse named gold dust. he was a blue ribbon winner. after the show's i got to ride him for the cool down.

BadCat
09-18-2010, 11:27 AM
They got 3 "Third Place" ribbons.

Ok, I guess, since it was the first time either one of them has done this.

Gucci's problem is that she still wants to GO FAST...they apparently don't like that in Dressage.

MountainMan
09-18-2010, 10:44 PM
They got 3 "Third Place" ribbons.

Ok, I guess, since it was the first time either one of them has done this.

Gucci's problem is that she still wants to GO FAST...they apparently don't like that in Dressage.

Just tell the horse privately that if it doesn't start to perform up to the dollar amount spent on it, you know a glue factory where it can start to earn its keep.... :D

SaintLouieWoman
09-19-2010, 11:14 PM
That's impressive that they would ribbon their first time out in a new event. Congrats!

noonwitch
09-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Good luck. Let us know how she did. She and the horse must be very adaptable to completely change styles.

That's what I was thinking. That would be really hard for a horse to learn both styles.

I wish they still rented horses out on Belle Isle, like they did when I was a little kid.

Gingersnap
09-20-2010, 09:46 AM
That's what I was thinking. That would be really hard for a horse to learn both styles.

I wish they still rented horses out on Belle Isle, like they did when I was a little kid.

It's not such a big deal for the horse as it is for the rider. Dressage is its own world - like classical ballet is a whole subculture only vaguely to Modern Dance. It's easier for a horse to switch from Western to Dressage than the other way around. In Dressage, horses get more information from how the bit is handled. In Western, horses get more information from how the reins are handled. It take a while before a horse quits paying attention to the bit.

I'm glad she did well and I'm glad Bad Cat has a good job. Dressage is wildly expensive. :D

Calypso Jones
09-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Do you guys realize how much animal rights activists have commandeered the Federal government to oversee, tax and penalize horse owners and exhibitors for some of the most stupid stuff. they are killing it.

additionally. Do y ou know how to make a small fortune in the horse business? Start with a large fortune.

Gingersnap
09-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Do you guys realize how much animal rights activists have commandeered the Federal government to oversee, tax and penalize horse owners and exhibitors for some of the most stupid stuff. they are killing it.

additionally. Do y ou know how to make a small fortune in the horse business? Start with a large fortune.

LOL! I sure do. Those idiots try to disrupt the Stock Show every year as well as all the rodeos. Cross-country is dying in a lot of areas because of the animal rights idiocy.

BadCat
09-20-2010, 05:46 PM
It's not such a big deal for the horse as it is for the rider. Dressage is its own world - like classical ballet is a whole subculture only vaguely to Modern Dance. It's easier for a horse to switch from Western to Dressage than the other way around. In Dressage, horses get more information from how the bit is handled. In Western, horses get more information from how the reins are handled. It take a while before a horse quits paying attention to the bit.

I'm glad she did well and I'm glad Bad Cat has a good job. Dressage is wildly expensive. :D

Yeah, but on the plus side, she's gotten some really kinky boots.

Gingersnap
09-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah, but on the plus side, she's gotten some really kinky boots.

I'll be that's not the only new equipment she's bought that can be "re-purposed". :p