PDA

View Full Version : Gun thread: CU'ers please help out: Police and firearms

Sonnabend
09-18-2010, 09:12 PM
I know that we have a large population of various states here, what I am trying to find out is how much practice each state's cops gets with their personal weapons each year

I know the State Police are different to the locals, and the locals are what I am after. How much range and prac time do Washington cops get as opposed to say, Arizona?

For our resident Corrective services guys (Yeah NJCardfan..I mean you :D) how much time do you spend with weapons practice? I know I know some of it isnt discussed publically, so just the basics or what you can tell me would be helpful)

KS, CITM, Wei, stay the fuck out.

Thanks

NJCardFan
09-18-2010, 10:05 PM
I don't spend much time. Maybe the closer I get to my range date I try to pop a few off but that's all. I'm comfortable with my shooting skills especially up close. Besides, I've carried an on duty weapon twice in the last year and have no real need for extensive practice.

Sonnabend
09-18-2010, 10:08 PM
How much time do you spend "officially" each year?

Bubba Dawg
09-18-2010, 10:11 PM
I am just an average shooter. No law enforcement experience at all.

I shoot about three times a year. I go to a range and shoot three weapons, my pocket pistol, a snub-nosed .38 special, my main pistol, a 9mm semi-automatic, and a 12 gauge pump shotgun.

I would shoot more often but time constraints and the cost of ammo and range time makes every 3 months about right.

I live way out in the country but have neighbors all around so I just go to a range to shoot.

Rockntractor
09-18-2010, 10:15 PM
I am just an average shooter. No law enforcement experience at all.

I shoot about three times a year. I go to a range and shoot three weapons, my pocket pistol, a snub-nosed .38 special, my main pistol, a 9mm semi-automatic, and a 12 gauge pump shotgun.

I would shoot more often but time constraints and the cost of ammo and range time makes every 3 months about right.

I live way out in the country but have neighbors all around so I just go to a range to shoot.
I have found when you talk to yourself outside and twitch occasional the neighbors go in the house when they see you with a gun and they don't say anything.

Chuck58
09-18-2010, 10:19 PM
I know that we have a large population of various states here, what I am trying to find out is how much practice each state's cops gets with their personal weapons each year

I know the State Police are different to the locals, and the locals are what I am after. How much ranbge anbd prac time do Washington cops get as opposed to say, Arizona?

For our resident Corrective services guys (Yeah NJCardfan..I mean you :D) how much time do you spend with weapons practice? I know I know some of it isnt discussed publically, so just the basics or what you can tell me would be helpful)

KS, CITM, Wei, stay the fuck out.

Thanks

The 3 PDs I know about here in New Mexico, all require 200 rounds 4 times a year for qualifying. Ammo is available if anyone wants to practice in between. Some do, most don't. The ones who really need it seem to be the ones we never saw at the range.

For myself, I shot in PPC competition (tells you how long ago I served). I'd burn 30K rounds of wadcutters a year. When I wasn't shooting or at work, I'd be at my reloading machines.

Bubba Dawg
09-18-2010, 10:20 PM
I have found when you talk to yourself outside and twitch occasional the neighbors go in the house when they see you with a gun and they don't say anything.

Well, YEAH. :D

I will also confess that when I shoot on the Mountain.....it scares .....the dogs. :o

They are just old Hillbillie dogs, but it makes them disturbed. It also makes my Mom nervous.....and my priorities are not necessarily in that order.......um.......

NJCardFan
09-19-2010, 01:57 AM
How much time do you spend "officially" each year?

Roughly about 2 hours. No lie.

bflavin
09-19-2010, 02:26 AM
I was a reserve officer in Kansas for 2 years. I had to qualify 4 times a year and score and 80% on each qual test. I usually tried to shoot once a month if I was able to.

djones520
09-19-2010, 06:05 AM

More then I get. I've spent about 3 hours on the range (officially) in 9 years in the Air Force.

Apache
09-19-2010, 10:14 AM
My brother who was a Sheriff's Deputy for Riverside county had to go twice a year, not sure on the time required though...

BadCat
09-19-2010, 10:21 AM
At Front Sight, they say that one 4 day Tactical Pistol class is twice as much training as most law enforcement receives in a year.

They do have a large proportion of law enforcement who take Front Sight training on their own dime, because their own force does not provide it.

When you take the class, it's not unusual for 40% of the students to be cops. What is sad, is that I can shoot better than most of them...a lot better. Now, the SWAT guys are another story. They take Front Sight classes to sharpen their skills, and by and large, they are REALLY good with their weapon systems.

I "gift" a certificate for a 4 day Tactical Pistol course to the local PD every year at Christmas.

Molon Labe
09-19-2010, 11:56 AM

That's about right. Most police get less than 8 hours firearms training a year unless they are on tactical squads. Joe Public has more training than most officers.

Jfor
09-19-2010, 12:18 PM
When I was working as a cop, I shot everyday. The folks I worked with, they only shot a few days before qualifications. I would say a larger percentage of private citizens are better shots than most cops.

JB
09-19-2010, 03:19 PM
KS, CITM, Wei, stay the fuck out.That's f'ing hilarious. Sonna, you are one messed up dude!!!

Didn't DU have the ability for the creator of a thread to pick persons that he did not want posting in the thread? I like that functionality.

SR, can you get that for us? There's nothing more I want than to have the ability to keep jendf, phillygirl and lurkalot out of every thread I create. That would be awesome.

Phillygirl
09-19-2010, 06:40 PM
That's f'ing hilarious. Sonna, you are one messed up dude!!!

Didn't DU have the ability for the creator of a thread to pick persons that he did not want posting in the thread? I like that functionality.

SR, can you get that for us? There's nothing more I want than to have the ability to keep jendf, phillygirl and lurkalot out of every thread I create. That would be awesome.

Why? Nobody else pays any attention to you. At least we mock you, otherwise how would you even know that your keyboard works?

Rockntractor
09-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Why? Nobody else pays any attention to you. At least we mock you, otherwise how would you even know that your keyboard works?

:D

Big Guy
09-19-2010, 08:22 PM
The Tennessee Department of Correction gives the average Officer 8 hours range time a year. The CERT Officers get 12 hours a month trigger time.

Nashville Metro Police qualify only one time a year.

Davidson County S.O. also qualify once a year.

Tennessee Highway Patrol Qualifies once a year.

I.C.E. qualifies 2 times a year but they can practice once a month if they want.

I run the range so I get to shoot at least once a week. :D

I hope this helps you out.

P.S.
All this info is public record.

Bubba Dawg
09-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Sonna, I have no police experience but am a bit of a gun nut.

I know guys, non-police, who shoot two ro three times a month. Some of them handload and really like to practice.

I don't know that many police officers but the ones I know don't practice that often in an official capacity. One officer I know goes to the range about every two weeks. He just enjoys shooting and does most of his shooting on his own and on his own dime.

Officially, the local sheriffs office does not require that level of practice. I think they shoot two or three times a year to qualify.

Sonnabend
09-20-2010, 03:17 AM
This is exactly what I needed. Many thanks.

JB
09-20-2010, 06:29 PM
This message is hidden because Phillygirl is on your ignore list. It's a shame Rock quoted you because I almost didn't see what you said.

Now quit jacking sonna's thread lest you end up on his Do Not Post list.

Phillygirl
09-20-2010, 09:31 PM
It's a shame Rock quoted you because I almost didn't see what you said.

Now quit jacking sonna's thread lest you end up on his Do Not Post list.

You wait with baited breath for every post I make. Now take the fish out of your mouth, it looks funny.

FlaGator
09-20-2010, 09:36 PM
That's f'ing hilarious. Sonna, you are one messed up dude!!!

Isn't that the truth. He thinks he's SR's pet hall monitor.

Don't call Israel Palestine or he'll have a stroke telling you not to do it any more. Talk about a God complex...:rolleyes:

Bwhahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Gingersnap
09-20-2010, 09:37 PM
You wait with baited breath for every post I make. Now take the fish out of your mouth, it looks funny.

LOL! Sonna already got whatever he wanted out of this thread. It's all cool. :cool:

FlaGator
09-20-2010, 09:43 PM
LOL! Sonna already got whatever he wanted out of this thread. It's all cool. :cool:

Does that mean Wei Wu Wei's and KhrushchevsShoe have their posting privileges back?

Bwhahahahahahahahaha!!!

Gingersnap
09-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Does that mean Wei Wu Wei's and KhrushchevsShoe have their posting privileges back?

Bwhahahahahahahahaha!!!

You got me. :p

Wei Wu Wei
09-21-2010, 02:01 AM
The only weapons I need are my superior intellect and of course my two fists: Misdemeanor and Felony

and trust me, they get plenty of practice

Rockntractor
09-21-2010, 02:46 AM
The only weapons I need are my superior intellect and of course my two fists: Misdemeanor and Felony

You don't know your asshole from a hole in the ground boy!

djones520
09-21-2010, 03:02 AM

Said the man before he became a statistic. :rolleyes:

Wei Wu Wei
09-21-2010, 03:24 AM
Also, sonnabend, if you can't Deal with what I have to say I suggest you go ahead and take the safe route like njcardfan and just put me on ignore instead of constantly whining about it like a little bitch.

Sonnabend
09-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Also, sonnabend, if you can't Deal with what I have to say I suggest you go ahead and take the safe route like njcardfan and just put me on ignore instead of constantly whining about it like a little bitch.

I already have the data I needed.

Wei Wu Wei
09-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Required Data Input: Confirmed
/
http://www.theterminatorfans.com/Terminator2_1.gif

FlaGator
09-21-2010, 11:10 AM

Bwhahahahahahahahaha!