PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Thread: I shot an Arrow into the Air...

Bubba Dawg
09-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Warm but comfortable on The Mountain. We could use some rain.

I was at the store today and looked at a magazine called Primative Archery.

It was about hunting mostly, in this issue, with recurve bows.

But it struck a fancy in me because the bows in the mag were beautiful.

I haven't shot a bow in many a year, but I may just get me a nice recurve bow and a target and some arrows.

Quiet. Cheap. Fun.

TOTD: Do you shoot a bow? Recurve or compound or even a crossbow. Have you ever shot a bow? Would you like to?

Do you like Robin Hood? William Tell? Come on. Dish.

Rockntractor
09-19-2010, 12:00 AM
You will scare the neighbors!:eek:

jendf
09-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Record heat Saturday. More of the same tomorrow with a high of 107.

I'm going to my nephew's 5th birthday party. And it's outdoors at 12:00. And my sister isn't changing her plans.

Sunday is going to be terrific. I can already tell. :rolleyes:

djones520
09-19-2010, 03:07 AM
TOTD: I own a pretty decent compound bow. I'm no William Tell, but I'm a fair shot with it.

Apache
09-19-2010, 10:30 AM
I've shot with a bow before, also zinged my wrist :(

Rockntractor
09-19-2010, 10:35 AM

Dude, broken ribs, zinged wrist, you do know you have to keep that same body when you get older!
This isn't a demolition derby!:D

Apache
09-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Dude, broken ribs, zinged wrist, you do know you have to keep that same body when you get older!
This isn't a demolition derby!:D

Wait. What? :eek:

djones520
09-19-2010, 11:25 AM

I've done that a whole once. I'll never release that string without an arm guard again.

Bubba Dawg
09-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Years ago I shot a recurve bow. It was fun.

What made me think of it was the archery magazine. I don't like to hunt but shooting a bow looks like fun.

Never fired a compound in my life. Looks complicated.

djones520
09-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Years ago I shot a recurve bow. It was fun.

What made me think of it was the archery magazine. I don't like to hunt but shooting a bow looks like fun.

Never fired a compound in my life. Looks complicated.

It's actually very easy. I'm a fair shot with a compound bow, but I imagine I'd be absymal with a recurve or longbow. As long as the site pins are accurate, and you can hold your arm steady long enough to get a good aim, your golden. Compounds make the draw weight a lot less as well. I draw at 65lbs and it would probably deliver the same force as a longbow at 90lbs or so.

I do have a lot of fun shooting my bow, on the range or in the field. I've only had the oppurtunity to take a shot at a deer with one once, and it was a bad shot for me to take. I'm glad I missed, cause I would have just barely injured the deer and it would have ran for miles before it dropped.

Bubba Dawg
09-19-2010, 06:32 PM
It's actually very easy. I'm a fair shot with a compound bow, but I imagine I'd be absymal with a recurve or longbow. As long as the site pins are accurate, and you can hold your arm steady long enough to get a good aim, your golden. Compounds make the draw weight a lot less as well. I draw at 65lbs and it would probably deliver the same force as a longbow at 90lbs or so.

I do have a lot of fun shooting my bow, on the range or in the field. I've only had the oppurtunity to take a shot at a deer with one once, and it was a bad shot for me to take. I'm glad I missed, cause I would have just barely injured the deer and it would have ran for miles before it dropped.

Interesting. So the draw is less, I guess because of the pulleys.

I have a friend with a compound and may try his out.

And Robin Hood makes it look so cool.