PDA

View Full Version : DU Pagans/Wiccans/witches, can I have a word?

Elspeth
09-19-2010, 12:46 AM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9161696

Prophet 451
Sun Sep-19-10 12:22 AM

Original message
DU Pagans/Wiccans/witches, can I have a word? Updated at 12:22 AM

I've noticed several threads here rebutting Christine O'Donnell's latest lunacy. Reading through them, I notice that several of you go out of your way to explain that you aren't Satanists. Fair enough, you're not. I am though and I know there's a couple of others here as well.

Now, I'm sure it was unintentional but in your understandable urge to both explain that you aren't Satanists and explain that you don't eat babies, sacrifice animal, etc, you seem to be implying (again, accidently, I'm sure) that Satanists do do this stuff and/or that being a Satanist is something terrible. Needless to say, apart from a few teenaged posers, we don't do any of this shit either and being a Satanist isn't something to be ashamed of.

Again, I'm sure you didn't mean to give that impression but please, for those of us who actually are Satanists, could you be a little more careful with your phrasing or at least include something like "Satanists don't do this stuff either"? It would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sonnabend
09-19-2010, 01:07 AM
Again, I'm sure you didn't mean to give that impression but please, for those of us who actually are Satanists, could you be a little more careful with your phrasing or at least include something like "Satanists don't do this stuff either"? It would be appreciated.

Sure.

You're batshit insane,

Will that do it?

NJCardFan
09-19-2010, 01:41 AM
This idiot calls O'Donnell a loon yet he is a Satanist. Um, ok.

SarasotaRepub
09-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Sure.

You're batshit insane,

Will that do it?

Sonna, it's just a confused child of DU. :rolleyes::D

noonwitch
09-20-2010, 08:50 AM
This idiot calls O'Donnell a loon yet he is a Satanist. Um, ok.

It takes one to know one?

I saw the O'Donnell tape on Real Time. She seems to be mixing up satanism and wicca. On the other hand, she is currently trying to appeal to the religious right, and most fundamentalist christians consider wicca to be satanism lite, anyways-"the Goddess is the devil in drag" is one thing I've heard said by preachers about wicca. That one tape probably won't hurt her that much, it was 13 years ago- she looked really young in the footage, like barely out of her teens.

When I was a delinquency worker, I had to deal with satanists from time to time. They generally fell into two categories-those who were serious about it, and those who were doing it to piss off their fundamentalist christian parents, or find "better" drug connections. What happens when the kids from the second group get caught up with the kids from the first group is scary, usually. It ends like those vampire kids who were involved in role-playing games, and ended up the parents of one of them (in Florida).

FlaGator
09-20-2010, 09:01 AM
It takes one to know one?

I saw the O'Donnell tape on Real Time. She seems to be mixing up satanism and wicca. On the other hand, she is currently trying to appeal to the religious right, and most fundamentalist christians consider wicca to be satanism lite, anyways-"the Goddess is the devil in drag" is one thing I've heard said by preachers about wicca. That one tape probably won't hurt her that much, it was 13 years ago- she looked really young in the footage, like barely out of her teens.

When I was a delinquency worker, I had to deal with satanists from time to time. They generally fell into two categories-those who were serious about it, and those who were doing it to piss off their fundamentalist christian parents, or find "better" drug connections. What happens when the kids from the second group get caught up with the kids from the first group is scary, usually. It ends like those vampire kids who were involved in role-playing games, and ended up the parents of one of them (in Florida).

From a Christian perspective all forms of false worship are satanic in nature. Just because a person isn't worshiping Satan specifically does not alter the fact that they are not worshiping God the Creator and thus fulfilling Satan's desires to further separate man from God.

noonwitch
09-20-2010, 04:17 PM
From a Christian perspective all forms of false worship are satanic in nature. Just because a person isn't worshiping Satan specifically does not alter the fact that they are not worshiping God the Creator and thus fulfilling Satan's desires to further separate man from God.

That sounds much more logical than "Diana is the devil in drag".:)

Zathras
09-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Come on, there is no way Christine O'Donnell is a witch. There are 3 questions that would answer the question and she would have to answer all three yes for her to actually be a witch. Those three questions are:

1: Are you made of wood?
2: Do you weigh the same as a duck?
3: Have you ever turned anyone into a newt, even if that person got better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

CaughtintheMiddle1990
09-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Come on, there is no way Christine O'Donnell is a witch. There are 3 questions that would answer the question and she would have to answer all three yes for her to actually be a witch. Those three questions are:

1: Are you made of wood?
2: Do you weigh the same as a duck?
3: Have you ever turned anyone into a newt, even if that person got better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

Funny movie and all, but there are Wiccans and it's recognized as a religion even by our military.

Zathras
09-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Funny movie and all, but there are Wiccans and it's recognized as a religion even by our military.

Wow, way to kill the mood Buzz Killington. Then again, it seems to be the only thing you're good at.

Sonnabend
09-25-2010, 08:32 PM

Except that wicca and the Old Religions predate Christianity by centuries. Only the advent of Christianity led to wicca being labelled as "satanic"

Then again, with that broad brush, you've just thrown in Hinduism, Buddhism and a dozen others as "worship of satan"

You sure you aren't Jack Chick?