PDA

View Full Version : Bible book-quoting evangelist says memorization vital

Gingersnap
09-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Bible book-quoting evangelist says memorization vital

George Huffman ascribes to the theory of use it or lose it when it comes to the memorization of Scripture.
He just takes it a little further than most people.

The Chattanooga resident and longtime evangelist has memorized more than 13,000 verses in the Bible, including 22 entire books in the New Testament. That’s more than one-third of the 31,173 verses in the Bible.

It’s no mere parlor trick for Huffman, 57. He claims to have made presentations in more than 7,000 churches.

“It’s a dying thing,” he said of the memorization of Scripture, “and it needs to be revived. We have such a great need in our country. Parents are not taking time to sit down and listen [to their children recite] Scripture. They’re not interested in it anymore. It’s an important thing that keeps people from sin.”

It’s what ultimately saved Huffman from sin, he said.

Even as he remained a drug addict into his mid-20s, with felony cocaine charges by his name, he remembered a verse he learned at age 5, he said.

The verse, Mark 10:25, “It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God,” kept convicting him, Huffman said.

Once he made a salvation decision, he felt God was leading him to be an encouragement to young people to memorize the word of God.

While attending Tennessee Temple University, though “still incoherent from drugs and alcohol,” Huffman met university founder Lee Roberson, who encouraged his burgeoning memorization.

“He believed me,” he said of the longtime Highland Park Baptist Church pastor. “He would have me quote Scripture in meetings. He would start me and stop me. I would walk with him and quote Scripture to him.”

(snip)

Although Huffman has command of thousands of verses, he said he doesn’t have the ability to quote every random verse in the Bible.

“Sometimes,” he said, “I have to quote four or five verses before I get to it. My mind was destroyed by the drugs. I’m using what I have left. I’m ashamed when I can’t quote it, but I want to do more.”

In fact, Huffman said, quoting Scripture in a vacuum would make him an automaton.

“I have all this Scripture, but I need input from other people,” he said. “Other people feed into my life with Scripture that God gave them. We need other people.”

Interesting on more than one level. There is growing persuasive research indicating that what information we access and how we access it remodels our physical brains. I believe this. When you stock up your mind with violence or vulgarity or hypersexual content, you not only become desensitized to that content in RL, you also crave more of it. If you primarily access information in web-snippets, it becomes more difficult for you to concentrate on linear information or information with a high degree of complexity.

All traditional cultures have valued memorization. There might be more to that than simply as a means of preserving data.

Time Free Press (http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/sep/18/bible-book-quoting-evangelist-says-memorization-vi/?entertainmentlifeentertainment)

FlaGator
09-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Back in Jesus' time and before, potential Rabbi's where required to have the whole Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) memorized by something like age 10. That is an amazing feat and something I don't expect we will see much of in the future. I noticed a curious thing a few years back. Any phone number that I knew before I go my first cell phone I could easily recall. Anybody's phone number that I acquired since my first cell phone I do not remember because it is stored in my contact list. I wonder what other things that we use to memorize has been lost because of technology?

Gingersnap
09-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Back in Jesus' time and before, potential Rabbi's where required to have the whole Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) memorized by something like age 10. That is an amazing feat and something I don't expect we will see much of in the future. I noticed a curious thing a few years back. Any phone number that I knew before I go my first cell phone I could easily recall. Anybody's phone number that I acquired since my first cell phone I do not remember because it is stored in my contact list. I wonder what other things that we use to memorize has been lost because of technology?

I notice that a lot! I don't own a cell phone or personal data device (blackberry, etc.) and I store essentially nothing on my netbook, notebook, workstation, etc.

I have a super-amazing (to friends and relatives) recall of phone numbers, addresses, important dates, business hours, etc., etc. If they lose a cell phone or have a non-recoverable crash, I've seen symptoms that can only be described as acute withdrawal and depression. My system crashes and I just re-virginize it. ;)

Calypso Jones
09-20-2010, 12:02 PM
the times tables.

noonwitch
09-20-2010, 12:04 PM

As much as I think Jack van Impe is a fool regarding biblical interpretation, I am impressed by his memorization of most of the Bible, if not the entire thing.

I can memorize verses, like I can poems or Shakespeare lines. I know the verses that speak to me daily about life, and I am familiar enough with the Bible to be able to locate the ones I'm not sure of. That's probably about as good as I'll get in that area, at least as long as my memory also has to be tied up with foster care policies and procedures.

Gingersnap
09-20-2010, 12:36 PM
the times tables.

Memorization is a great time-saver and the multiplication tables is a case in point. It's painful to watch a 15 year old struggle with newly discovering the answer to 7 time 12 before he can use that information in a more complex problem.

The same thing come up with weights and measures. :(

FlaGator
09-20-2010, 01:47 PM
As much as I think Jack van Impe is a fool regarding biblical interpretation, I am impressed by his memorization of most of the Bible, if not the entire thing.

I can memorize verses, like I can poems or Shakespeare lines. I know the verses that speak to me daily about life, and I am familiar enough with the Bible to be able to locate the ones I'm not sure of. That's probably about as good as I'll get in that area, at least as long as my memory also has to be tied up with foster care policies and procedures.

I have a very good recall of numbers (probably due to my profession) so I can remember Biblical books, chapters and verse numbers and the concepts associated with them but generally not the exact text. It gives me the advantage of quickly being able to look something up but I have difficulty quoting exact text. Fortunately there are so many Biblical translations that if I just do the best I can I usually match one translation or another :D

Articulate_Ape
09-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Back when I was involved in community theater about 20 years ago, I was selected to play the part of George Bailey in the stage production of "It's a Wonderful Life". I had to memorize some 186 lines not counting cues, etc. By the time the show was at dress rehearsal, I had ended up memorizing the entire script. Years later I learned that Jimmy Stewart didn't even memorize all his lines at once since he had trouble with that. In fact, that was one of the reasons for his trademark stammer.

I should add that 20 years later I can remember phone numbers galore, but I'll be damned if I can remember what I had for supper last night.

m00
09-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Back when I was involved in community theater about 20 years ago...

Doesn't this qualify you to be president?

Gingersnap
09-20-2010, 07:18 PM

Overqualified, probably. I'm guessing the actors actually gave value for the ticket price.

Articulate_Ape
09-20-2010, 08:33 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Good one!