PDA

View Full Version : 'Stop-start' system coming to U.S. cars

Gingersnap
09-20-2010, 01:26 PM
'Stop-start' system coming to U.S. cars
Published: Sept. 18, 2010 at 5:07 PM

DETROIT, Sept. 18 (UPI) -- A relatively simple and inexpensive fuel-saving technology from Europe will soon be introduced on vehicles in North America, engineers say.

So-called start-stop systems that turn off a car when it is idling and reignite the engine when the driver releases the brake will be coming to the United States and Canada in the next five years, The Detroit News reported.

The technology is widespread in Europe and will be embraced in North America as a tool to meet increasingly stringent fuel-economy and emissions requirements, auto experts say.

"Engineers kill for one-tenth of a mile per gallon," Joe Phillippi of AutoTrends Consulting Inc. said. "In city driving, it would make a huge impact."

Estimates vary, but the consensus is shutting off the engine at a stop can improve fuel economy as much as 15 percent.

Consumer acceptance could be a challenge.

Interesting.

Science News (http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2010/09/18/Stop-start-system-coming-to-US-cars/UPI-94381284844075/)

fettpett
09-20-2010, 02:00 PM
I was told that turning an engine on an off constentlly used more fuel than letting it idle...eh...w/e works i guess

Bailey
09-20-2010, 05:45 PM
I was told that turning an engine on an off constentlly used more fuel than letting it idle...eh...w/e works i guess

What does this system do on the starter and/or engine? all that starting and stopping cant be good be good for it.

Constitutionally Speaking
09-20-2010, 09:04 PM

Depends on how long it is stopped. I forget the exact time but the break-even point is something like 15 seconds - depending on what model you drive.

Apache
09-21-2010, 07:12 PM
What does this system do on the starter and/or engine? all that starting and stopping cant be good be good for it.

I'd buy stock in a towing company...:D

patriot45
09-21-2010, 09:39 PM
I'd buy stock in a towing company...:D

:D Starter + cellunoid company!

malloc
09-21-2010, 10:16 PM
You better be able to turn this off! In Arizona in June, in rough hour traffic you'll need the engine running just to power the A/C. When the engine is off, the compressor doesn't function. You'll be in a 120 degree car if you just started your trip or find yourself in stop-go traffic.

patriot45
09-21-2010, 10:18 PM
You better be able to turn this off! In Arizona in June, in rough hour traffic you'll need the engine running just to power the A/C. When the engine is off, the compressor doesn't function. You'll be in a 120 degree car if you just started your trip or find yourself in stop-go traffic.

Same thing in FL! They do think things out, don't they!!

Zeus
09-22-2010, 01:46 AM

Same thing in FL! They do think things out, don't they!!

some of the northern states in the winter you may not be able to get the engine restarted after it cutsoff. thats why they have softplugs/blockheaters and sometimes that doesn't work.

lacarnut
09-22-2010, 02:49 AM
Another Env. loony tune idea from the EU.

Gingersnap
09-22-2010, 09:53 AM
some of the northern states in the winter you may not be able to get the engine restarted after it cutsoff. thats why they have softplugs/blockheaters and sometimes that doesn't work.

I don't think this would a problem in traffic. It takes a while for an engine to cool off to the point of no return in freezing weather. I admit that I didn't think of the hell-heat factor in places like Arizona.

This concept is a European design and there is no place in Europe (outside of Russia) that gets particularly hot or cold by U.S. standards. :confused: