PDA

View Full Version : The Jeans Care Secret: Rarely Wash Them

Gingersnap
09-20-2010, 01:33 PM
The Jeans Care Secret: Rarely Wash Them

By CHERYL LU-LIEN TAN

Carl Chiara, director of brand concepts and special projects for Levi Strauss & Co., is among the growing number of jeans enthusiasts who believe in washing them as little as possible.

Mr. Chiara, who says he wears jeans every day in both work and social situations, believes that "the less people wash their jeans, the better their jeans become. Denim really does shape to people's bodies, and when you wash a jean you lose some of that shape."

He doesn't like to put his jeans in a washing machine because agitating the denim makes the fibers on the cotton fabric swell and "bloom." That in turn causes the yarns to tense up and actually get shorter, shrinking the jeans. This also mars the "open" look of the denim, Mr. Chiara says. The color may fade or change as well.

He also avoids heat—using hot water on his jeans or throwing them in a dryer—to protect the quality of the jean, he says.

So does he dry clean his jeans? No, because he doesn't like them coming back stiff—and perhaps with a center crease if they get pressed like trousers. "The jeans should take on your personal day-to-day life and look like you," he says. For example, his own jeans bear the weathered marks of his keys, which he keeps in his front pocket, and his bag, which tends to rub against his upper thigh.

This is not to say that Mr. Chiara doesn't ever clean the 15 pairs of jeans that he owns. He gently spot-cleans spills with a damp sponge and "whatever is under the kitchen sink—usually Windex or 409."

At the end of each day, he hangs his jeans on a hook in his bathroom. When he takes a shower, the steam "freshens [the jeans] up a little bit," he says. He prefers hanging jeans by a belt loop to preserve their shape.

After six months of wearing a pair of jeans, Mr. Chiara does a comprehensive cleaning; his method could also be used by those who like to wash their jeans more often. Usually, he fills a bathtub to about six inches with room-temperature water and adds two tablespoons of Dr. Bronner's Magic Liquid Soap, which he likes because it is mild. Then, he immerses the jeans in the tub, laying them flat.

Spoken like somebody who hasn't done an honest day's work in his life.

WSJ (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703632304575452082044100428.html?m od=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read)

jendf
09-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Gross. This dude clearly does not live in the desert. I love my jeans but they get tossed in the washer on a weekly basis. Your welcome, society.

noonwitch
09-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Gross. This dude clearly does not live in the desert. I love my jeans but they get tossed in the washer on a weekly basis. Your welcome, society.

He's just too cheap to replace his jeans once they are worn out.

Shannon
09-21-2010, 09:02 AM
My rule is that you can wear jeans two times before washing them. Tristan drives me bonkers with his stupid "skinny" jeans. He insists that they be washed inside out then hung to dry. He does his own laundry now...

MrsSmith
09-21-2010, 04:06 PM
I wonder if he cried over the first pair of acid-washed jeans he saw...:rolleyes:

Bailey
09-21-2010, 04:22 PM
My rule is that you can wear jeans two times before washing them. Tristan drives me bonkers with his stupid "skinny" jeans. He insists that they be washed inside out then hung to dry. He does his own laundry now...

I agree with you, two days and then in the wash. (maybe one day if real dirty) :D

hoplophobe
09-21-2010, 04:37 PM
For example, his own jeans bear the weathered marks of his keys, which he keeps in his front pocket, and his bag, which tends to rub against his upper thigh.Anyone else think they were talking about something else?:o

fettpett
09-21-2010, 07:17 PM
i usually do 3-4 days with jeans/pants unless they get really dirty...

Gingersnap
09-21-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't care who you are and how clean you think you are: going months without washing your clothing to maintain some kind of hipster vibe is just wrong.

Rockntractor
09-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Mine are trashed in the first two hours every day.

Gingersnap
09-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Mine are trashed in the first two hours every day.

If I'm working in the yard, fishing, or riding - they get washed after one wearing. If I'm reading a book or just goofing off inside - 2 days max.

RobJohnson
09-23-2010, 02:49 AM

I can hardly wear a pair of any pants for less then an hour before I rub up against something dusty.

Jeans are made to be washed, just like teeth are made to be brushed. I wish some of my customers would pick up on this tip. :D