PDA

View Full Version : How to Make a Zombie, Haiti-Style

bijou
09-21-2010, 01:08 PM
The undead are all around us, and have been for decades.

Zombies are in our mass consciousness, invading art, literature, entertainment and even education. But at the heart of this fear-mongering revolution is a single question: Is it all pure fiction, or are there in fact real zombies?

That depends on your definition of the word "zombie."

For filmmakers in Hollywood, zombies are half-dead figures that lumber toward you with arms outstretched, stinking of rotting flesh. But in Haiti, could zombies be unfortunate victims who have been forced into slavery while under the influence of highly potent drugs?

While movies depict zombies as flesh eaters who spread their affliction like an illness, the voodoo culture and religion of Haiti has its own recipes for making a zombie -- a term derived from the word "Nzambi," meaning "spirit of a dead person" to the Bacongo people of Angola.

A leading theory holds that a voodoo priest, or bokor, is able to concoct a poison that can render a victim weak and appear dead.

"It's not what we see in Hollywood, of course. Strictly speaking, a zombie is a reanimated corpse that's been brought back to life to serve as a slave for a voodoo priest or priestess," said Brad Steiger, one of the most prolific authors of books dealing with unexplained phenomena.

In his recent book, "Real Zombies, the Living Dead and Creatures of the Apocalypse" (Visible Ink Press), Steiger explores the history of reported zombies in the real world.

"I have an account of a man from Miami who went to Haiti and was dancing with a very lovely Haitian lady, and he felt a little prick on his arm and didn't think anything of it. Next thing he knew, he woke up, was still in his suit and tie, but he was soiled and dirty and was holding a hoe in somebody's field. ...http://www.aolnews.com/weird-news/article/how-to-make-a-zombie-haiti-style/19638134

Long article with all you need to know about how to make your own zombie.

Wei Wu Wei
09-21-2010, 01:30 PM
the undead is the force of Capital.

hampshirebrit
09-21-2010, 01:37 PM
the undead is the force of Capital.

Do elaborate, please.

Wei Wu Wei
09-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Do elaborate, please.

this cool zombie article expresses what I'm trying to say far more eloquently than I ever could:

http://naughtthought.wordpress.com/2007/05/17/zombie-economy/

hampshirebrit
09-21-2010, 02:00 PM
this cool zombie article expresses what I'm trying to say far more eloquently than I ever could:

http://naughtthought.wordpress.com/2007/05/17/zombie-economy/

Dude, we were starting to think you'd finally grasped the concept of the Lounge Thread. Oh well ... :rolleyes:

Wei Wu Wei
09-21-2010, 02:11 PM
this is how i lounge :(

hampshirebrit
09-21-2010, 02:16 PM
this is how i lounge :(

Oh dear. Try harder to lounge .. it's supposed to be :) and :D, not :(.

Zathras
09-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Well duh, I've known there have been zombies walking among us. After all, they provided the 52.9% of the votes in the last presidential election

Gingersnap
09-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Oh dear. Try harder to lounge .. it's supposed to be :) and :D, not :(.

He's trying. He's genuinely trying. By next summer he'll disclose his drinking habits and his taste in BBQ. He'll sub for some non-political TOTD. He'll reveal his taste in condiments and express unsolicited opinions on Hot Babes, celebutards, and random body part stories.

Who knows? He could post dog pix.

Be gentle.

noonwitch
09-22-2010, 08:57 AM
I read a book about it in the 80s-The Serpent And The Rainbow. It was fascinating. There was a really lame movie made, but it wasn't really about the science in the book.

CueSi
09-22-2010, 01:38 PM
I read a book about it in the 80s-The Serpent And The Rainbow. It was fascinating. There was a really lame movie made, but it wasn't really about the science in the book.

I fucking loved that book... I was generous enough to love the movies, but I'm wierd like that. :p

~QC