PDA

View Full Version : The Carter-Obama Comparisons Grow

warpig
09-22-2010, 03:28 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704129204575505822147816104.html

Comparisons between the Obama White House and the failed presidency of Jimmy Carter are increasingly being made—and by Democrats.

Walter Mondale, Mr. Carter's vice president, told The New Yorker this week that anxious and angry voters in the late 1970s "just turned against us—same as with Obama." As the polls turned against his administration, Mr. Mondale recalled that Mr. Carter "began to lose confidence in his ability to move the public." Democrats on Capitol Hill are now saying this is happening to Mr. Obama.

Mr. Mondale says it's time for the president "to get rid of those teleprompters and connect" with voters. Another of Mr. Obama's clear errors has been to turn over the drafting of key legislation to the Democratic Congress: "That doesn't work even when you own Congress," he said. "You have to ride 'em."

Liberals increasingly can't avoid making connections between Mr. Carter's political troubles and those of Mr. Obama. In July, MSNBC's Chris Matthews asked his guests if Democrats up for re-election will "run away from President O'Carter." After much laughter, John Heileman of New York Magazine quipped "Calling Dr. Freud." To which Mr. Matthews, a former Carter speechwriter, sighed "I know."

Arroyo_Doble
09-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Another of Mr. Obama's clear errors has been to turn over the drafting of key legislation to the Democratic Congress: "That doesn't work even when you own Congress," he said. "You have to ride 'em."

I thought one of the complaints about Carter was his tendancy to micromanage.

Molon Labe
09-22-2010, 04:08 PM
I think a better comparison would be to call Obama - Bush's third term. Bailouts, Spending, and more foreign intervention. When your staff is still a bunch of DC insiders and Robert Gates is still your SOD...what's really "Changed"

Arroyo_Doble
09-22-2010, 04:10 PM
I think a better comparison would be to call Obama - Bush's third term. Bailouts, Spending, and more foreign intervention. When your staff is still a bunch of DC insiders and Robert Gates is still your SOD...what's really "Changed"

Don't forget he wants to enact the bulk of the same tax cuts Bush signed into law.

You may be onto something.

Wei Wu Wei
09-22-2010, 04:26 PM
I prefer comparing Obama to Reagan.

Molon Labe
09-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Don't forget he wants to enact the bulk of the same tax cuts Bush signed into law.

You may be onto something.

Actually...I haven't heard that. The tax codes have already started to hurt middle class American's more than under Bush. I'm pretty sure he's more of a tax and spender. We are all going to take a bath come tax day 2011.

obx
09-22-2010, 04:32 PM
I prefer comparing shit to sugar.

Fixed.
________
Squirting Orgasm (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/1010/orgasm/videos/1)

ralph wiggum
09-22-2010, 04:38 PM

In what way exactly? :confused: :confused:

Arroyo_Doble
09-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Actually...I haven't heard that. The tax codes have already started to hurt middle class American's more than under Bush. I'm pretty sure he's more of a tax and spender. We are all going to take a bath come tax day 2011.

He wants to enact the tax brackets put in place by The Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 for income less than $250,000 (family) that are set to expire at the end of this year.

But that is rhetoric. I have not seen a bill yet.

lacarnut
09-22-2010, 05:26 PM

I prefer comparing you to a moron.

Wei Wu Wei
09-22-2010, 06:00 PM

His groveling at the feet of his wealthy wall street and banking puppeteers

Articulate_Ape
09-22-2010, 06:03 PM
His groveling at the feet of his wealthy wall street and banking puppeteers

He wasn't Obama groveling, he tripped over his own feet. That was a faceplant.

EDIT: Oh, and Reagan never groveled -- ever.

lacarnut
09-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Obama has screwed up the economy big time. It took Carter 4 years; this turkey has done it in less than 2.

Constitutionally Speaking
09-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Another of Mr. Obama's clear errors has been to turn over the drafting of key legislation to the Democratic Congress: "That doesn't work even when you own Congress," he said. "You have to ride 'em."

You are absolutely correct on that one AD. The policies are very similar though. (Except Obama's are on a MUCH larger scale)

Constitutionally Speaking
09-22-2010, 07:52 PM

I would say he is Bush on steroids at least from the spending aspects of things.

NJCardFan
09-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Comparing Obama to Reagan would be like comparing hotdogs to lobster.

malloc
09-22-2010, 08:05 PM

I would say he is Bush on steroids at least from the spending aspects of things.

I can see some similarities in economic policy, and fewer in legislative priority. I mean, would Bush have ever signed Obamacare or vowed to sign a Cap and Trade Bill? However, Obama is working with a congress he owns.

Wait until he doesn't own the Congress anymore and starts using all this new authority our "esteemed" legislature ceded to the executive during the Bush & Obama administrations. When he starts working through his regulatory agencies I expect the similarities will end. Obama's priorities will be more business regulation in the name of the enviro-crazies, social justice seekers, and political correctness, and won't be anything similar to Bush's loosening regulations.

When people talk about market uncertainty preventing employment, this is what they are talking about. These regulatory agencies have more authority over the internal operations of business than ever before, and the rules haven't been written yet.

BDMcGee
09-22-2010, 08:13 PM

Best President of the 20th Century vs. Worst President of the 21st?:)

Molon Labe
09-23-2010, 03:12 PM
He wants to enact the tax brackets put in place by The Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 for income less than $250,000 (family) that are set to expire at the end of this year.

But that is rhetoric. I have not seen a bill yet.

Of course it's rhetoric. Obama has no intention of giving a "real" tax break to anyone.
see here:

Learn how the game is played against the middle class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XILLX2RWxkQ&feature=sub

FlaGator
09-23-2010, 05:04 PM
I tend to compare the Obama administration with the woman who got the melon slingshot in to her face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWi2wHSTni0

FlaGator
09-23-2010, 05:08 PM
And yet another good visual representation of the Obama administration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlWCu9M37zs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlWCu9M37zs&feature=topvideos)