PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Screws American Market - You're Too Dumb To Notice.

Gingersnap
09-23-2010, 12:31 PM
What Netflix CEO hopes U.S. won't notice
'Self-absorbed' Americans may ignore Canada price disparity

By Etan Vlessing
Share295

Sept 23, 2010, 08:00 AM ET
Reed Hastings (Getty)

Netflix is now in Canada, offering local subscribers an online movie and TV streaming service for $7.99 a month. The move marks the first international foray for the California-based online streaming/DVD-by-mail giant. Etan Vlessing caught up with Netflix co-founder and CEO Reed Hastings in Toronto as he reaches beyond his 15 million American subscribers to start rolling out his online subscription service around the world.

The Hollywood Reporter: You're looking beyond the U.S. border for growth. Where will you expand next after Canada? [Related: Netflix hires actors to pose as consumers at Canadian launch event.]

Reed Hastings: For now we're focused on Canada. If we succeed in Canada, we will certainly look at other markets. But each market is unique, and what attracted us to Canada is great broadband, and a great love of movies and TV shows.

THR: American services when they enter the Canadian market typically charge the locals more than they charge stateside. Why the discount for Canadians?

Hastings: We want to provide an incredible value for Canadians, and it's the lowest price we have anywhere in the world for unlimited screenings. And anyone can try it for free for a month. It's pretty addictive.

THR: Are you concerned that American Netflix subscribers will look north and ask for the same discount Canadians get at $7.99?

Hastings: How much has it been your experience that Americans follow what happens in the world? It's something we'll monitor, but Americans are somewhat self-absorbed.

If you are a Netflix fan, you might drop them a line.

Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3if1d3902d12574ec222961f1deec0fd2b)

Wei Wu Wei
09-23-2010, 12:36 PM
I use netflix, it's pretty great.

Also he's right.

Gingersnap
09-23-2010, 12:47 PM
It appears that quite a few subscribers are not that self-absorbed. We'll see where this goes.

ralph wiggum
09-23-2010, 12:54 PM
It appears that quite a few subscribers are not that self-absorbed. We'll see where this goes.

I'll be happy to bitch to them that I'm paying more than those pesky Canadians.

Constitutionally Speaking
09-23-2010, 01:10 PM
How big is that discount? I don't know what they charge here in the U.S. - if it is a big enough disparity, I would have to believe that Americans will have an issue with it.

Arroyo_Doble
09-23-2010, 01:14 PM
How big is that discount? I don't know what they charge here in the U.S. - if it is a big enough disparity, I would have to believe that Americans will have an issue with it.

$8.99 American. I don't know what the exchange rate is at the moment.

I think the "outrage" is more about his slight toward Americans; saying we don't pay attention and are self absorbed. If I weren't so busy going to the gym and getting my teeth whitened later, I would send a letter.

jediab
09-23-2010, 01:20 PM
$8.99 American. I don't know what the exchange rate is at the moment.

I think the "outrage" is more about his slight toward Americans; saying we don't pay attention and are self absorbed. If I weren't so busy going to the gym and getting my teeth whitened later, I would send a letter.

Dont forget about being too busy texting on your cellphone while driving home sipping your Starbucks latte.

fettpett
09-23-2010, 02:05 PM
geeze...this is such a stupid article, it's how buisness works. when you go into a new market (or release a new product) you almost ALWAYS give a discount on services to draw customers in. Netflix is awesome, fucking stupid libs need to quit their bitching

their plans are

1 dvd, limited to 2/mo and 2hrs of streaming: 4.99
1 dvd unlimited dvd and streaming: 8.99 (10.99 w/blu ray)
2 " ": 13.99 (16.99 w/blu ray)
3 " " : 16.99 (20.99 w/blu ray)
4 " " : 23.99 (28.99 w/blu ray)

jendf
09-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Alienating your entire customer base...now that's an interesting business strategy!

NJCardFan
09-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Meh. I like Blockbuster Online better. You can rent games as well as movies.

Sonnabend
09-24-2010, 06:53 AM
I think the "outrage" is more about his slight toward Americans; saying we don't pay attention and are self absorbed.

I hate to be the one to say this, but there is an element of truth in what he says. Over the years, I have met a LOT of Americans whose attitude is "If it doesnt involve America, who gives a shit"

One person I challenged when he asked me why7 i was interested in world affairs and why I had such a broad knowledge of US politics.,..was unable to answer five basic questions on who the current leaders were of India, Pakistan, who Karzai was, and could not tell me what a Tory was (UK politics)

For many Americans, the US is the centre of the world and the rest of the globe doesn't matter. It is no more than the truth.

I've even been asked if Australia has a Constitution. I am NOT saying this of all Americans...but it is true of many.

Rockntractor
09-24-2010, 09:17 AM
I hate to be the one to say this, but there is an element of truth in what he says. Over the years, I have met a LOT of Americans whose attitude is "If it doesnt involve America, who gives a shit"

One person I challenged when he asked me why7 i was interested in world affairs and why I had such a broad knowledge of US politics.,..was unable to answer five basic questions on who the current leaders were of India, Pakistan, who Karzai was, and could not tell me what a Tory was (UK politics)

For many Americans, the US is the centre of the world and the rest of the globe doesn't matter. It is no more than the truth.

I've even been asked if Australia has a Constitution. I am NOT saying this of all Americans...but it is true of many.
Hmff whatever! Austria was like one of the first countries to fall in world war Two, kangaroos can't like carry guns, duh!:rolleyes:

Sonnabend
09-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Hmff whatever! Austria was like one of the first countries to fall in world war Two, kangaroos can't like carry guns, duh!

Not one more word or.......................

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FltUGVy4pa4/SFhlUhBr-5I/AAAAAAAAGrI/NFIxl_Xu0Oo/s400/Roasted+pig2.jpg

Gingersnap
09-24-2010, 09:40 AM

There is some truth to this and no one would be particularly upset if a Canadian business tried to use that disinterest to pull one over on American consumers. It's that it's one of our own.

In a sort of mild defense here, international politics looks different depending on where you are in it. If you have a room with 45 cats and 7 dogs, those cats are going to be watching each other and those dogs closely. The little dogs are going to be watching the big dogs and the big dogs are going to be watching each other.

That's no excuse for an ignorance about other countries and other political systems and political players but it's part of the reason. ;)

Calypso Jones
09-24-2010, 10:14 AM
(conservative) Americans are not self absorbed. perhaps some are confusing self absorbed with the American sense/knowledge that WE ARE where and what is happening. and anyway....those that are self absorbed are generally to the left...they claim superiority of intellect and awareness and it's obvious they don't possess those qualities. You know what has been shown...Rush's audience is well above average intelligence and knowledge of this country and the world. Sooooo. :-P

Additionally. What is wrong with these extremely successful grass roots so to speak businessmen. Are they part of the leftist pseudo intellectual elite that they think they can insult their customer base and it's okay?? Since the initial insult, the CEO has issued an apology of sorts.

namvet
09-24-2010, 12:06 PM
I used blockbuster online because i could return them to a local store and get a freebie

Arroyo_Doble
09-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Austria?