PDA

View Full Version : Obama seeks to curb ruling DADT

Apocalypse
09-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Obama seeks to curb ruling on gays in military

By Dan Levine
Thu Sep 23, 2010

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) – Weeks after a federal judge struck down a U.S. military rule that bans openly gay men and women from the armed forces, the Obama administration sought on Thursday to keep the policy mostly intact while Congress debates the issue.

The administration’s stance, urging more time to gauge the impact of ending the ban and calling for a political solution rather than one imposed by the courts, also came two days after the U.S. Senate blocked legislation that would have repealed the policy known as "don’t ask, don’t tell." …

The executive director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights, Kate Kendall, called the U.S. Justice Department’s court position a betrayal.

"It is offensive and contrary to the spirit of Obama’s promise to end (‘don’t ask, don’t tell’)," Kendell said in a statement.

But Obama’s lawyers asked in Thursday’s motion that Phillips refrain from applying her ruling nationally, or to the military overseas…

Regardless of how broadly or narrowly Phillips ultimately applies her ruling, the administration asked for more time to assess the consequences of her decision.

"A court should not compel … an immediate cessation of the 17-year-old policy without regard for any effect such an abrupt change might have on the military’s operations," the department wrote, "particularly at a time when the military is engaged in combat operations and other demanding military activities around the globe."

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE68M5X220100924

rjas77
09-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Obama is such a Homophobe

Chuck58
09-24-2010, 01:49 PM
It's just about the only thing he's done that I agree with. When I served, about the time Washington crossed the Delaware, I'm not as sure I'd have enlisted if I'd had any idea fags might be serving. It never even occurred to me that some could have been.