PDA

View Full Version : Tattooed woman 'told to put bag over head by Jobcentre'

Gingersnap
09-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Tattooed woman 'told to put bag over head by Jobcentre'

A woman with 30 tattoos claims she was told to ''put a bag over her head'' when she went for a job interview.

Published: 9:13AM BST 23 Sep 2010

http://i55.tinypic.com/1h2vbs.jpg
Hayley O'Neil left the JobCentrePlus in tears, without any interviewers lined up, after the advisor concluded: 'Who would hire you looking like that ?' Photo: CAVENDISH

Hayley O'Neil, 23, - who also has 20 body piercings - says was also advised to ''stand behind a wall'' when she asked a job centre official what post she could apply for.

She eventually left the Job Centre Plus centre in Blackburn Lancs in tears without any interviews lined up after the advisor concluded: ''Who would hire you looking like that?''

Miss O'Neil, who got her first tattoo from her mother as an 18th birthday present said: ''I just felt so humiliated. I couldn't believe what this guy was saying.

''I said I could take the piercings out but they look a lot worse when they are out."

"The guy said: 'on first impressions do you think anyone would hire you?' He said: 'look at it this way if you were to stand behind a wall - or put a paper bag over your face do you think you would have a better chance?'

"He then backtracked and tried to say that he was sorry and hoped I wasn't offended but I was.

"He talked to me as though I was just going through a phase in my life, but this is my lifestyle choice, and this is who I am."

And part of who you are is "unemployed".

Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8020254/Tattooed-woman-told-to-put-bag-over-head-by-Jobcentre.html)

CueSi
09-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Geez, what a dumbass this wench is. I have what's known as a Crawford/Monroe piercing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe_piercing). It's not very obvious, but it's pretty noticeable under certain circumstances. And I NEVER wear it during job interviews. My current job allows me to wear my piercing, but I know for any corporate job I take, I'm going to have to take it out.

Unless you wanna be a bartender/door girl at a strip club/retail at hot topic, an adult bookstore, or fetish shop, you're gonna have to look like the rest of the normal people.

~QC

Apache
09-24-2010, 06:13 PM
And part of who you are is "unemployed".

Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8020254/Tattooed-woman-told-to-put-bag-over-head-by-Jobcentre.html)

There aren't too many places that would allow her to be seen by the public if she worked for them. I sure as hell wouldn't hire her...

hampshirebrit
09-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Hope the DT opens up the comments for this. There's a good pee-cee side-event in the making here.

Sad thing is, although she's not my type, she would be reasonably OK looking sans the facial furniture, or at least not a complete minger.

jendf
09-24-2010, 06:53 PM
I have two friends who are covered in tattoos and piercings like this girl. Both had to go into business for themselves because no one would hire them.

Not sure what people expect when they mutilate their bodies like that. :rolleyes:

FlaGator
09-24-2010, 06:58 PM
When a person makes a choice to appear different than what is considered the norm then they must accept the consequences that come with it. If that is truly "who she is" then I would have guessed that she was born with the tattoos and piercings, otherwise it is a choice she made to become "who she is" which is different that who she was and very view choices of this nature are free of consequences.

Zafod
09-24-2010, 07:11 PM
I have somthing important to say!

spork.

that is all......

marv
09-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Can she wash cars or haul out the trash? She could probably be auctioned off for minimum wage. 'Scuze me...http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/images/smilies/emot-barf.gif

Phillygirl
09-24-2010, 07:38 PM
She looks like a freak. She can probably get a job at Trader Joe's.

patriot45
09-24-2010, 07:40 PM
She looks like a freak. She can probably get a job at Trader Joe's.

Completely hireable....... as a scarecrow or maybe a bouncer!:D

Phillygirl
09-24-2010, 07:49 PM
I had a secretary once who had 9 earrings in one ear. She was smart enough not to wear them to the interview. She wore them to work once...just once.

hampshirebrit
09-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Can she wash cars or haul out the trash? ]

She can wash the trash and haul out cars. She has twenty body piercings, some of which could probably serve as tow hitches.

Bailey
09-24-2010, 07:54 PM
The bag idea would be good if you were going to have sex with her :D

Bailey
09-24-2010, 07:54 PM
I had a secretary once who had 9 earrings in one ear. She was smart enough not to wear them to the interview. She wore them to work once...just once.

did you rip them out one at a time? :eek:

Gingersnap
09-24-2010, 08:01 PM
FlaGator is right - she made this choice.

Employers (even tattooed employers) are not interested in hiring obviously pieced or tattooed people in most customer contact jobs because the customers complain. Not just the little old Baptist ladies but tramp-stamped, otherwise yummy mummies who don't want their daughters to see it and grow up to be Kat Von D.

Body mods are problematic in management jobs because nothing says "impulsive" quite like that. You might have spent 10 years figuring out your design or mod but by putting where everyone has to see it, you look impulsive career-wise.

There's simply a big problem with hiring someone who has "look at me" body art who then demands that nobody judge her on her body art. :confused:

NJCardFan
09-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Hope the DT opens up the comments for this. There's a good pee-cee side-event in the making here.

Sad thing is, although she's not my type, she would be reasonably OK looking sans the facial furniture, or at least not a complete minger.
Sorry. Remove the piercings and she looks like Rosie O'Donnell.

fettpett
09-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Any peirceings outside of Ear's (and that needs to be limited) on the face are unprofessional IMO. (if you've got other pericings don't talk about them where customers can hear. I also feel that tatoos (espiecally sleeve, lower back and boob) should be covered at all times.

If you're in customer service this sends the wrong message and many people wont use your services, a persons first impression (and strongest) is formed in the first 7 seconds and visual impressions are the most important