PDA

View Full Version : Man Who Killed Himself On Harvard's Campus Left 1,904-Page Note

bijou
09-25-2010, 08:40 AM

According to the Harvard Crimson, Mitchell Heisman wrote "Suicide Note," posted at http://suicidenote.info, while living in an apartment near the school. The note is a "sprawling series of arguments that touch upon historical, religious and nihilist themes," his mother, Lonni Heisman, told the Crimson. She said her son would have wanted people to know about his work.

Heisman was 35 when he shot himself on the steps of Harvard's Memorial Church Saturday. He had a bachelor's degree in psychology from the University of Albany. According to the Crimson, he worked in area bookstores and lived on inheritance from his father, who died when he was young.link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/24/mitchell-heisman-suicide_n_738121.html)

NJCardFan
09-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Just another leftist upset that the world didn't conform to what he believed it should have been. Look at some of the titles of the chapters in his screed:

The Seditious Genius of the Spiritual Penis of Jesus

How Christianity’s Subversion of Kin Selective Altruism Evolved into the Modern Idea of Social Progress

Creating God and the Evolution of Genetic Suicide

Why Liberal Democracy Leads to the Rational Biological Self-Destruction of Humans and the Rational Technological Creation of God

It's mostly a rant against religion.

And this at the end of this screed:

Freedom of Speech on Trial

If my hypothesis is correct, this work will be repressed. It should not be surprising if justice is not done to the evidence presented here. It should not be unexpected that these arguments will not be given a fair hearing. It is not unreasonable to think that this work will not be judged on its merits.

This work contains a theoretical application of sociobiology to politics. Simply discussing its theories publicly can constitute an experimental test of liberal democracy’s original enlightenment claim to advance freedom of rational inquiry. Such a discussion can clarify the extent, and the particular ways, in which these original enlightenment self-justifications have been politically abandoned. The attempt to repress rather than address the evidence in this work, for example, can clarify that there are arguments of substance that are being denied a right to be heard. Persistent intolerance of certain kinds of rational inquiry can clarify that civilized means of public discourse have broken down.

The basic problem with a sociobiological self-analysis for liberal democracy is that it does what its free speech principles were designed to do. Sociobiology can help expose the distortions, lies, and falsehoods of the powers that be — that power being liberal democracy itself. Findings of sociobiology have refuted the original theory of human nature underlying liberal democracy. The constitutional right to freedom of speech was built upon this pre-Darwinian view of man that findings of sociobiology have refuted.

The rest is here: http://www.suicidenote.info/

What a self righteous tool. And good riddance. Just another elitist "academic" who believes that they, and only they, have all the correct answers. The good news is at least he just took himself out instead of killing a bunch of people first then taking himself out. This guy is a poster child for liberal elitism. I am sorry for his family and I am usually empathetic of people who commit suicide, but this idiot did it as a political statement and not because of any deep seeded mental problems.

Bubba Dawg
09-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Just another leftist upset that the world didn't conform to what he believed it should have been. Look at some of the titles of the chapters in his screed:

It's mostly a rant against religion.

And this at the end of this screed:

What a self righteous tool. And good riddance. Just another elitist "academic" who believes that they, and only they, have all the correct answers. The good news is at least he just took himself out instead of killing a bunch of people first then taking himself out. This guy is a poster child for liberal elitism. I am sorry for his family and I am usually empathetic of people who commit suicide, but this idiot did it as a political statement and not because of any deep seeded mental problems.

Evidently this is the only way he could get published.

Calypso Jones
09-25-2010, 11:51 AM
another lib with a superiority complex who thought we'd all be hanging on every written word and forever mourn his untimely passing.

Wei Wu Wei
09-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Givin this a good read through

Wei Wu Wei
09-25-2010, 11:57 AM
I am usually empathetic of people who commit suicide, but this idiot did it as a political statement and not because of any deep seeded mental problems.

Many people commit suicide for reasons of philosophic authenticity. Even the first opening quote of this letter addresses it:

"Ordinary people seem not to realize that those
who really apply themselves in the right way to
philosophy are directly and of their own accord
preparing themselves for dying and death. If this
is true, and they have actually been looking
forward to death all their lives, it would of course
be absurd to be troubled when the thing comes
for which they have so long been preparing and
looking forward.
—SOCRATES, PHAEDO
"

Wei Wu Wei
09-25-2010, 11:58 AM
I can't imagine anyone here understanding deep inquiriry, philosophic authenticity, or reading anything that's not a Menu or written by FreedomWorks

Bubba Dawg
09-25-2010, 12:00 PM
I can't imagine anyone here understanding deep inquiriry, philosophic authenticity, or reading anything that's not a Menu or written by FreedomWorks

I find your lack of imagination disturbing.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
09-25-2010, 12:02 PM
1) It's sad he killed himself, regardless of his views. A life is still a life.
2) Him killing himself in a public venue, particularly on the steps of a Church, was sacrilegious and disgraceful.And suicide, especially for his (seeming) reasons is just a waste of life. If you die for someone else, that's something powerful. But killing yourself just to get your name noticed--if that's indeed what he did--is selfish. Think of the impact on his family--Something a person who commits suicide (over something this trivial) doesn't. If he had terminal cancer and was in intense pain, I could understand him wanting to kill himself.
3) I'd disagree with whoever said he didn't have mental problems. The fact that he killed himself right off says things weren't all right in his head. The possibility that he killed himself to get attention also points to a mental issue. Finally the fact that he lost his father when he was young could have caused mental issues in him. Yeah, that's an easy excuse for not taking responsibility for your issues BUT in my experience, everyone I've known who lost a parent when they were young came out of it with a lot of deep issues.

In any case, R.I.P. Sad when anybody dies, even if they took their own life. Off topic, but all the tragedies in the world when people die 'before their time' tend to depress me a lot. Whenever I read the news of some kid getting killed, or read about kids in the past getting killed, I feel like I wish I could've done something. I look at the case of Jonbenet especially--The girl was the same age as me, born the same year, and here I've gone on nearly 14 years more, I got to 'grow up' and she never made it past age 6, and to think whoever killed her might still be out there. It's deeply unjust. I mean I was a kid then too, I couldn't have done anything to help, but still I feel almost a sense of guilt. I feel that with every child I read about who dies, though, and it makes me hope that there is some kind of Heaven because at least they will have gone on to something better, someplace happier, instead of simply dying. Children's deaths bother me a lot moreso than those of adults, but again, a life is a life no matter how or how young.

Sorry for the rant, just thinking out loud. Someone I knew, a classmate, got killed last year and ever since, I've felt a lot more about this sort of stuff than I once did.

Wei Wu Wei
09-25-2010, 12:06 PM
3) I'd disagree with whoever said he didn't have mental problems. The fact that he killed himself right off says things weren't all right in his head.

No it doesn't.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
09-25-2010, 12:13 PM
No it doesn't.

I would say it definitely does.
Suicide isn't exactly the norm. Why do you think suicidal people are at times placed in Mental Hospitals, or at the very least, put on medication or in therapy? Being suicidal is not a normal frame of mind.

Bubba Dawg
09-25-2010, 12:15 PM
1) It's sad he killed himself, regardless of his views. A life is still a life.
2) Him killing himself in a public venue, particularly on the steps of a Church, was sacrilegious and disgraceful.And suicide, especially for his (seeming) reasons is just a waste of life. If you die for someone else, that's something powerful. But killing yourself just to get your name noticed--if that's indeed what he did--is selfish. Think of the impact on his family--Something a person who commits suicide (over something this trivial) doesn't. If he had terminal cancer and was in intense pain, I could understand him wanting to kill himself.
3) I'd disagree with whoever said he didn't have mental problems. The fact that he killed himself right off says things weren't all right in his head. The possibility that he killed himself to get attention also points to a mental issue. Finally the fact that he lost his father when he was young could have caused mental issues in him. Yeah, that's an easy excuse for not taking responsibility for your issues BUT in my experience, everyone I've known who lost a parent when they were young came out of it with a lot of deep issues.

In any case, R.I.P. Sad when anybody dies, even if they took their own life. Off topic, but all the tragedies in the world when people die 'before their time' tend to depress me a lot. Whenever I read the news of some kid getting killed, or read about kids in the past getting killed, I feel like I wish I could've done something. I look at the case of Jonbenet especially--The girl was the same age as me, born the same year, and here I've gone on and the poor child never made it past 6, and to think whoever killed her might still be out there. It's unjust. I mean I was a kid then too, I couldn't have done anything to help, but still I feel almost a sense of guilt. I feel that with every child I read about who dies, though. Children's deaths bother me a lot moreso than those of adults, but again, a life is a life.

Sorry for the rant, just thinking out loud.

I'm sorry for his family, and for him.

Good rant. Very insightful.

I was one of the first people to find a young man who had hanged himself just outside the front entrance of a small church. I didn't think it was sacriligous. I thought he was desperate, deeply depressed, and in need. I didn't see it as a desecration.

Once psychiatric patient I knew delivered his journal to his counselo's office before he killed himself. I think it was a plea for understanding and not a cry for help.

I agree completely that he was disturbed. Very sad.

Wei Wu Wei
09-25-2010, 12:25 PM
I would say it definitely does.
Suicide isn't exactly the norm. Why do you think suicidal people are at times placed in Mental Hospitals, or at the very least, put on medication or in therapy? Being suicidal is not a normal frame of mind.

Standing up and doing what's right isn't the norm. Giving away half of your stuff to poor people isn't the norm. spending 10 years to write a book isn't the norm.

being "not the norm" isn't indicative of mental illness. if you would start reading his paper you would see that his rational faculties were working at a very high level.

Perhaps he was depressed, perhaps not, I haven't heard yet.

I'd would argue that most suicides are boohoo my gf broke up with me imm gonna shoot myself, yes those are pointless sad tragedies.

Others are cases of prolonged depressesion, untreated either because they cannot afford it or because they simply don't have any symbolic support network to help keep them through the recovery process (mental illness is overly stigmatized in the US).

However, there are people who seriously ponder the question as a philosophic matter: why should I not kill myself?

For example, once you die, it all ends, why go through years of suffering instead of just getting to that end right away?

Can you provide a rational argument?

CaughtintheMiddle1990
09-25-2010, 12:41 PM
No it doesn't.

Standing up and doing what's right isn't the norm. Giving away half of your stuff to poor people isn't the norm. spending 10 years to write a book isn't the norm.

being "not the norm" isn't indicative of mental illness. if you would start reading his paper you would see that his rational faculties were working at a very high level.

Perhaps he was depressed, perhaps not, I haven't heard yet.

I'd would argue that most suicides are boohoo my gf broke up with me imm gonna shoot myself, yes those are pointless sad tragedies.

Others are cases of prolonged depressesion, untreated either because they cannot afford it or because they simply don't have any symbolic support network to help keep them through the recovery process (mental illness is overly stigmatized in the US).

However, there are people who seriously ponder the question as a philosophic matter: why should I not kill myself?

For example, once you die, it all ends, why go through years of suffering instead of just getting to that end right away?

Can you provide a rational argument?

Yeah, I can. Or at least, I'll try.

Suffering is relative. What one person considers emotional agony, another might consider a slight bump in the road. People who commit suicide because of emotional agonies are narrow minded in this way--A sort of tunnel vision. They see only THEIR pain. Only THEIR suffering. They don't see the suffering of others, both in general, and the suffering that them killing themselves will cause. And if they do, they find some way to justify it, like with this guy's note. They all write a note trying to justify, rationalize, and explain why they're doing what they do. But it's kind of like an abuser writing his kid a note as to why he abused him--It's a rationalization of something the person knows is wrong.

Even if death is THE END, why kill yourself? If this life is all there is, why not, in your pain, try and help others? People don't realize that even the most transient of encounters can impact a person's entire life. I'm of the belief that EVERYONE a person comes in contact with--Even if it's just for a second in time and nothing more--effects them in some, even unnoticable way. I guess, perhaps, like ripples in a pond--We're all rippling into each other, most often without even realizing it.I could go on and on with this topic but I'll try and make it as focused as possible-- Even if death is just the END, why not stay around for OTHERS?

Turn that pain into something positive. Write something that others who feel the same can relate to. TRY to lift yourself. Or hell, just live for the benefit of others. Maybe this guy, had he not killed himself, could've saved a kid's life someday. Maybe that kid now is doomed themselves to die because he killed himself before he could save the kid. Even if it's not to that extreme, I think everyone has some sort of purpose in life, and taking a voluntary exit is relieving yourself of that purpose, and of your responsibilities--whatever they may be.

I just don't think even from a philosophical standpoint, since this is the standpoint the guy was working from, that suicide is right. It's as I said at the start, a form of emotional vision. "Poor me, MY pain is so intense, I can't take it." Yeah, poor you. What about the fucking people who are murdered? Poor them more than poor you. What about the millions of people right now who are in hospitals, dying slowly of cancer? Poor them more than poor you. A person who commits suicide does so out of emotional selfishness. A totally self centered mindset wherein their own pain is worse than anybody else's, unbearable. They don't think of others at all in doing what they do. Look at Cobain, he killed himself for whatever reason and left behind his child with a drug addled, insane mother. He wasn't thinking about his daughter in that instant--About what it would do to her to grow up without a father, or worse, to grow up knowing her father killed himself rather than stuck around to watch her grow up. It was all about him. Suicide is selfishness defined.

Why not wait till the end? Maybe, at some point, ''the sun will come out." Maybe one day whatever causes that suffering will ease up. Life's like a movie, or a journey. In any case, it ends in death--That's inevitable. But waiting out for the long haul might prove worth it. Who knows? Maybe he would've met someone and fallen in love. Or maybe he simply would've woke up one morning and 'felt better.' Maybe he would've one day seen something that could've changed his point of view. Why be impatient? We're all going to die anyway, I say try and at least live to whenever the end is--Maybe SOMETHING good will happen along the way.

I say this is as someone who does get depressed, and someone who has reason in my own personal life to be greatly depressed if I chose to let myself be. Could I take the easy way out, blow my head off? Yeah. So could a LOT of people who have it much much worse than I do. But in any case, suicide is the EASY way out. There's people with a lot worse problems than mine, and many of these people don't even complain about them. Maybe instead of just offing himself, he could go and help those who are even more worse off than him. He could've reached out to others who feel the same.

Speedy
09-25-2010, 12:45 PM
another lib with a superiority complex who thought we'd all be hanging on every written word and forever mourn his untimely passing.

Mitchell Who?

CueSi
09-25-2010, 01:03 PM

You mistake intolerance of overwrought, academic, nihilist bullshit for misunderstanding.

Typical condescending liberal.

~QC

Zathras
09-25-2010, 02:50 PM

Talking to yourself again Wee Wee? You just described your sorry, ignorant ass perfectly.

lacarnut
09-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Talking to yourself again Wee Wee? You just described your sorry, ignorant ass perfectly.

He/she/it is a mental basket case. Both Wee Wee's.

Sonnabend
09-25-2010, 08:09 PM
pending 10 years to write a book isn't the norm.

Wrong. Again. :rolleyes:

You know nothing.

warpig
09-25-2010, 08:21 PM

This make the assumption that things cannot be changed, which is an erroneous assumption.

NJCardFan
09-25-2010, 09:22 PM
This guy killing himself in front of a church proves my point. It was a political statement on his part. It wasn't quite immolating himself but a political statement nonetheless and for that, it makes him an idiot.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
09-25-2010, 09:46 PM
You mistake intolerance of overwrought, academic, nihilist bullshit for misunderstanding.

Typical condescending liberal.

~QC

This guy killing himself in front of a church proves my point. It was a political statement on his part. It wasn't quite immolating himself but a political statement nonetheless and for that, it makes him an idiot.

I've noticed that with (SOME NOT ALL) atheistic types, it's more about being anti-Christianity than not believing in a God.
I'm not saying it's like that for all, or even most, Atheists. Many genuinely just don't find reason to believe in a God--and that's fair. But there are some--a very outspoken few, such as Dawins, who I feel are more anti-Christian than anti-Theism, which pisses me off since I don't see anything wrong with Christianity.