PDA

View Full Version : Albert Haynrsworth Says Contract Doesn't Make Him A Slave To Team

NJCardFan
09-26-2010, 07:37 AM
I didn't know if this belonged here or in Sports so if the mods believe it should be moved, by all means do, but I felt that this is bigger than just a sports story. Just a little background here. Last season, the Washington Redskins signed defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth to a $100 million dollar contract. This season, they have a new coach with a new defensive scheme and they want him to play nose tackle but he doesn't want to. Well, in a recent interview, he equated him being told to play another position to slavery. What makes this a stupid liberal trick is that how can someone equate someone making $20 million dollars a year and who can, if he so chose, walk away and go work somewhere else, to people who were not looked at as people by their owners and who not only could just leave if they wanted to but were severely punished if they even tried. Imagine if a white player had said something similar? 2 weeks after the famous Rush Limbaugh comment on Donovan McNabb on ESPN, which we all know garnered a whole lot of media attention, Warren Sapp compared his experience playing for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as slavery. When I hear black people making this kind of money compare their existence to slavery, it makes me sick. You'd think they'd be more sensitive on the subject but they are not. Somehow I don't believe Jim Crow would be sympathetic to their plight. Here's a link to the Sports Illustrated article. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/09/25/haynesworth.redskins.ap/index.html

"I guess in this world we don't have a lot of people with, like, backbones," Haynesworth said. "Just because somebody pay you money don't mean they'll make you do whatever they want or whatever. I mean, does that mean everything is for sale?

"I mean, I'm not for sale. Yeah, I signed the contract and got paid a lot of money, but ... that don't mean I'm for sale or a slave or whatever."

Sonnabend
09-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Well, that's one contract that won't last for long :rolleyes: