PDA

View Full Version : I ring the bell, step back off the porch so I'm not crowding the door, and begin my..

SarasotaRepub
09-26-2010, 05:30 PM
It's soooo kute to see them make up stories... (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9202366) :D

struggle4progress http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/donor.gif (1000+ posts) Sun Sep-26-10 12:25 AM
Original message I ring the bell, step back off the porch so I'm not crowding the door, and begin my silent count:

one thousand, two thousand, three thousand ... I always allow folk a bit of measured time to answer, and when nobody shows up, I move along

Nobody answers. So I glance at my clipboard and start walking to the next address, several doors down

I pass a house, and another, and then there's a yell: Yes? What is it?

I turn around. He's finally answered the bell. I'm fifty or maybe seventy-five feet down the road. So I trudge back and when I can do so comfortably, I shout back I'm a volunteer for the Dems

There's no obvious adverse reaction, so I stroll back near the porch, and explain who I'm looking for. Truth be told, I actually have no idea how to pronounce his name -- but yes, that's him -- so I run why I want him to vote Democratic

He listens. Asks me to repeat a few things. Yes, he'll definitely vote and vote Democratic.You got me, he adds. I double-check how to say the name: he says I got it right, though in fact I mangled it slightly and he's being nice about it. You got me, he repeats, and I'm on my way again

It's not all wine and roses on the street, of course

Half an hour later, I'm driving up a dirt road looking for one house. When I find it, I turn around, park, and prepare to walk up

I've barely closed the car door when a guy comes out and hollers from the porch, What seems to be the problem? I toss back that I'm a volunteer, looking for <insert woman's name>

This, somehow, does not make his day; in fact, he becomes agitates and unhappy: Democrats? No thanks! Get out of here! I apologize for bothering him

I'm opening the car door to leave when she comes out to ask what's going on. It's the Democrats,, he tells her. The Democrats ... she says. After a pause she shouts at me No, we're not Democrats! I reflexively toss back Have a lovely day, ma'am! and slide back into my car, where I sit a moment, making my notations and looking up my next stop. I don't glance back, but I'm pretty sure he glared daggers at me until I was out of sight

And a minute or two later, at the next house, the woman comes out as I stride up. As soon as she knows what I'm doing, she's all delighted smiles

Keep trying to "Buc up the Troops" asshole.
Your're Doooooooooooooooooomed in November and it's gonna be a fun election night. :D

m00
09-26-2010, 06:04 PM
You'd think they would be looking for paid work.

marv
09-26-2010, 06:28 PM

Hmmmm, sounds like he did census work.

SarasotaRepub
09-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Hmmmm, sounds like he did census work.

That's what I was thinking also assuming anything in the story was true. :D

Calypso Jones
09-26-2010, 09:11 PM
is there any liberal that doesn't know how to spin a yarn?

warpig
09-27-2010, 08:50 AM

They'd lie when the truth would sould better.

FDK
09-27-2010, 05:06 PM

Yes, this DUmmie. That's one of the most boring posts ever on DU. Y-A-W-N.

Odysseus
09-30-2010, 05:45 PM

Why would they look for something that they don't believe in? I'd sooner expect them to go looking for leprechauns.