PDA

View Full Version : Wiretapped phones, now Internet?

warpig
09-27-2010, 09:22 AM
http://www.startribune.com/nation/103836983.html

WASHINGTON - Federal law enforcement and national security officials are preparing to seek sweeping new regulations of the Internet, arguing that their ability to wiretap criminal and terrorism suspects is "going dark" as people increasingly communicate online instead of by telephone.

Essentially, officials want Congress to require all services that enable communications -- including encrypted e-mail transmitters such as BlackBerry, social networking websites such as Facebook and software that allows direct "peer-to-peer" messaging such as Skype -- to be technically capable of complying if served with a wiretap order. The mandate would include being able to intercept and unscramble encrypted messages.

The legislation, which the Obama administration plans to submit to Congress next year, raises fresh questions about how to balance security needs with protecting privacy and fostering technological innovation. And because security services around the world face the same problem, it could set an example that is copied globally.

fettpett
09-27-2010, 09:38 AM
so much for that "Change" we were promised....oh wait that promsie was broke a LLLLLOOOONNNNGGGG time ago

jediab
09-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Even is Obumbler doesn't push this into effect, it's only a matter of time before some other administration does.

Wei Wu Wei
09-27-2010, 11:08 AM
This is something we all know the Republicans will stop if they can get controll of congress right?

Bailey
09-27-2010, 11:22 AM
This is something we all know the Republicans will stop if they can get controll of congress right?

Now your catching on...

Ree
09-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Did ya forget somethin?

Wei Wu Wei
09-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Did ya forget somethin?

oh right. what with all the colors on Fox news, I have a rather short memory.

Wei Wu Wei
09-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Now your catching on...

lmao

Odysseus
09-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Dude, you're a Marxist. You should be in favor of eliminating private communications. If you have nothing to hide from our benevolent masters, you have nothing to fear, right, comrade?

On the plus side, the last Republican administration resisted exactly this kind of expansion of federal authority over the internet.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/103836983.html
Before we go bananas over this, one thing that needs to be addressed is that government at all levels can subpeona e-mails under the same authority that they request wiretaps, at least domestically. As with all other electronic communications, there is no expectation of privacy at the border, and anything that can be hacked is fair game. This isn't a necessary precaution so much as a power grab, of the kind that we have come to expect from Obama.

Zathras
09-27-2010, 07:23 PM
oh right. what with all the colors on Fox news, I have a rather short memory.

It's not the colors that make you an idiot. It's the fact you were dropped on your head, repeaatedly, till you were 5.

m00
09-27-2010, 09:19 PM

This is the worst sort of retort. "Hey, it's okay if my side does something outrageous and unconstitutional because I hypothesize the other side would too!"

m00
09-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Before we go bananas over this, one thing that needs to be addressed is that government at all levels can subpeona e-mails under the same authority that they request wiretaps, at least domestically. As with all other electronic communications, there is no expectation of privacy at the border, and anything that can be hacked is fair game. This isn't a necessary precaution so much as a power grab, of the kind that we have come to expect from Obama.

This is the problem:

Essentially, officials want Congress to require all services that enable communications -- including encrypted e-mail transmitters such as BlackBerry, social networking websites such as Facebook and software that allows direct "peer-to-peer" messaging such as Skype -- to be technically capable of complying if served with a wiretap order. The mandate would include being able to intercept and unscramble encrypted messages.

So lets say you and I are security geeks, and I write a communication program with encryption system where our private conversations cannot be snooped, the keys are constantly being generated and passed around through some crazy algorithm, the keys themselves are encrypted, and neither of us have any idea what they are at any given time, and neither does anyone listening in. And also, it doesn't keep any logs so I couldn't comply with a wire-tap even if asked.

Such a program would be illegal, because I don't build in a back door for the government.

I have a problem with that.